General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Chicago. Navy. Boot Camp. Liberty!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:28 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chicago. Navy. Boot Camp. Liberty!

Well, my step son graduated boot camp this weekend and here we are in Chicago. Too bad the Cubbies are out of town (yes, I'm still a Braves fan, but when in Rome, and all that), but the Navy Pier was open. Here are some pictures of the graduation and some liberty time with Stefan:

Slideshow of bootcamp graduation and liberty weekend - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

If you don't want to watch the entire slide show:
Here I am with the newest sailor:
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/o...f/DSC01853.jpg

These are some real friends... they drove from Virginia Beach to see him:

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/o...f/DSC01857.jpg

Stef and his mom right after the ceremony:

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/o...f/DSC01846.jpg

I didn't care too much for Chicago. Too big for me. We had a great time, though, and we couldn't be more proud. He will be off to South Carolina for 'A' school and a couple of follow on schools prior to going to the fleet...
CMPD1781, I may be asking you to keep an eye out for him!!

Old 09-07-2008, 04:04 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nuke MM I take it? If so, surface or sub?

It was 12 years ago this month a graduated boot in Great Lakes.

Then another two weeks sitting there waiting for room to open up at sub school. Thank goodness the train ran right by the base.

Congrats to him.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:18 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Tell him congratulations. Not joining the service is something I'll always regret.

Mike

Old 09-07-2008, 04:39 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Originally Posted by bf250
Nuke MM I take it? If so, surface or sub?
Correct. Surface. He does not like the idea of being underwater for months at a time. I told him that all the bubble heads I'veever met love what they do- or they find new jobs. Subs take a certain tpe of personalilty and I respect them, tremendously, but I know I would not have been able to do it, either.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:15 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
I spent five years on a sub and loved it but was burned out at the end. Once off of it, I determined I never wanted to go back on, didn't even serve shore duty on a sub related bilet.

But I do not think I could take the crowds of a carrier, I seen them when they pulled in and that would drive me crazy!

Nuke school is pretty tough from what I heard, my room mate was a nuke MM drop that became an FT. I don't think its the school or the intelligence of the people as much as many people find out they rather do something else.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:48 PM
71dusterdan
Postmaster
congrats Stu, wish i had known i could have come in and shuttled your clan around. oh well tell the young man we are all proud of him, and enjoy the adventure. Dan

Old 09-08-2008, 06:36 AM
torkum
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on a '3 bar fireman'. My son graduated up there in Feb as a E3 Airman and is love'n it. I'm with you, didn't like it up there with 6' of snow pilled on the edge of the roads everywhere.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Shellbackcv60
Junior User
I was in class 51 in the 1985. Our barracks was the farthest point from the chow hall. So we did a lot of running in our boondockers. I went into aviation antisubmarine warfare operator and Navy rescue swimmer. Flew in H-3 helos off carriers and small boys. We did a lot of active sonar so you submariners probably hated us for that. Anyone been to Autec?

Old 09-08-2008, 02:03 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Congrats to you and your son. Went thru boot myself many years ago in Orlando when it was still operational. Hats off to your son for serving his country. I wish more of our young people would do the same. Go Navy!

Old 09-08-2008, 04:34 PM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was in a similar situation back in '77. Nuke MM - ELT, went to sub outta Pearl Harbor. I did 'A' school in Great Lakes after San Diego boot camp, and didn't have a car. I rode the train into Chicago, walked my feet off, and ended up staying at the Playboy Towers for a couple of days. I couldn't get into the club downstairs, so I sat in my room, ordered room service, and watched the Royals/Yankees ALCS.

I don't even know where Nuke school is these days? Orlando? I went by the San Diego boot camp last year and it had turned into condos. Worm Island has gone condo!

Old 09-08-2008, 05:05 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Thanks for all the well wishes. He was quite happy to get out for a short while. they keep the new recruits on a pretty short leash that first weekend: no drinking, no smoking and no driving allowed. Also, they have to stay within 50 miles. He was just happy to get to go out and be away from the base for a short while- and to eat at Olive Garden.

As for my own journey, it started in San Diego in 1989, then progressed to Millington, TN for a very long 6 months. I had too many behind the wheel violations to qualify for nuke... too bad.

Nukes go to Charleston, SC these days for their primary 'A' school and the nuke school directly after. Then on to proto-type school either in Balston Spa, NY or Charleston. He's going to be a PO2 in less than 2 years. I hope he makes Chief inside of 9 years.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:56 PM
78stepside429
Senior User
Congrats on your boys graduation. From what I hear, Great Lakes is a much different place now. This time 11 years ago I was in the middle of service week at Galley 928 and it seems like yesterday. Then it was off to NATTC Pensacola for AMS "A" School. Lucky for me, no boats as I got a wonderful set of orders to a VP squadron at NAS Barbers Pt. Hawaii.
May be have a great career in our beloved Navy, I would give my right arm to do it all over again

Old 09-08-2008, 07:39 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Originally Posted by Shellbackcv60
I was in class 51 in the 1985. Flew in H-3 helos off carriers and small boys.
Your screen name suggests that you were aboard the Saratoga. True? I was in VA35 during Desert Shield/ Desrt Storm. How did you get your Shellback card on the Sinkin' Sara?

Old 09-08-2008, 09:15 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Shellbackcv60
I was in class 51 in the 1985. Our barracks was the farthest point from the chow hall. So we did a lot of running in our boondockers. I went into aviation antisubmarine warfare operator and Navy rescue swimmer. Flew in H-3 helos off carriers and small boys. We did a lot of active sonar so you submariners probably hated us for that. Anyone been to Autec?
You talking Autec down in the Bahamas? I had some orders for that place, not real orders but the detailer was offering me everything under the sun and mentioned it verbally along with a bunch of other things.

We got active from surface ships (targets) and buoy drops frequently as part of training exercises for the ASW crowd. We would get pass bys off Hawaii and out of San Deigo. I loved it when the P3 would ask us if we had a light on our scope so they could see us (which we don't) so they can get a position to start the exercise, heck, its the only dang pole sticking out of the ocean.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Chugalug
Elder User
I didn't know they had any Navy Bases in Sc. Just because I don't know of it dosn't mean I am right.
There is an old Cival War Sub at the old navy base, I guess they will still let people in to view it.
I saw it before it was opened.
It was in a big tank with some kind of a solution and will haye to stay there so the metal will not disinigrate.
Congrats to your son for his service to our country.

Quick Reply: Chicago. Navy. Boot Camp. Liberty!