1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Blue smoke? Bad problem????

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 01:22 PM
sirenalx
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Blue smoke? Bad problem????

Ok, just the short story for reference. Decided to go camping over labor day, was hauling slide in camper fully loaded plus extra wood and water, approx 3100lbs, and towing a friends camp trailer, maybe 1500lbs going over the pass at Snoqualime. Before the trip, installed the True-Cool tranny cooler, and the 203* thermostat, and did the oil change(was missing a couple quarts from the 14quart limit ?). Went over the pass doin 60-65mph. Partied and drunk for 4 days. Did some 4x4 wheelin through the lake bed. wheeee.....

Ok now here is the problem. Used the truck at idle to charge camper battery for 20-30 mins at a time, maybe 3 times or so.(later found my short in the camper wiring). Ran for water one day, going up hill and also takin off at the top headed down the pavement a bunch of bluish smoke came pouring out. Again on the final day, just after idling, had to tow a camp trailer up the hill, and a ton of blueish smoke came out going up under load. Not quite as much blue smoke on the second camp trailer I towed up, and less when I hauled my camper up. What gives?

ps: (got to tow a newer 6L ford and boat out of the muddy lake bed)

Old 09-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They will use a little oi between service 3-5K miles. Mine uses 1-2 quarts in 5K miles.

Sounds like a little build up of fuel, the harder you run it the the more the blue smoke goes away....right,
Go beat the snot outta it...... check the oil first LOL

Old 09-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
X2, I was thinking Injector O-rings, but you would notice that during startup if it was leaking into the cylinder. Go beat on it some!

-Robb

Old 09-07-2008, 03:20 PM
sirenalx
Junior User
ok, good news then. Just hoping I hadn't broken anything. I was thinking o-rings to start, but no other symptoms indicated that. No leaking on or around motor either, nice and clean. Hmm... 1-2 qts. I think I might have been around 3qts low or so. No low oil light though. Any reason for that?

It seems to run a bit quieter with the rotella I poured in there vers the dealership oil change I had done. anyone else had this experience?

Pics if you are so inclined.
Loaded, but I think I need air bags. DSC00657 pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

throwin rocks
IMG_1442 pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

Old 09-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I could be wrong but I don't think our trucks like to just idle a lot. I know when I'm out hunting I might be doing an idle for hours then when coming to a surface road and pick up normal speed it's pretty gutless. Probably the CAT clogging. It only takes maybe a few miles to clear up though.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sirenalx
Hmm... 1-2 qts. I think I might have been around 3qts low or so. No low oil light though. Any reason for that?

It seems to run a bit quieter with the rotella I poured in there vers the dealership oil change I had done. anyone else had this experience?
Yep, 1-2 quarts is about average, I use more oil when I beat on it...which is most of the time .
We don't have a low oil light...it's a low pressure switch....just about useless.
The good news is if you run out of oil it just stops running without locking up.
No Oil=No Injectors firing

Well that may be your problem, the dealer may have used the wrong oil.
I don't trust anyone with the oil. DIY for sure.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:21 PM
sirenalx
Junior User
Thanks Cuda_jim, I appreciate the info, and I am still learning about this beast. I would love to have a pit/lift to do all my work, but alas it is not to be just yet which makes routine maint. a pain, but I do have the factory service manuals in my garage. Getting rid of the oil in an environmentally friendly way is also a hassle. I do trust my dealer, they own another lot where I bought my Sprinter vans(2 of em., also diesel) and have never had an issue with them at either location. I just tend to do more of the work for myself to save the high labor costs.
And thanks Hussler, the long idling could be doing a bit of the smoking as the cat heats up from stompin on it.
Im not necessarily inclined to just go beat on it Robbgt, I'm trying to improve, upgrade and have fun while keepin her in one piece.
Thanks again for the info and help guys.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:42 PM
DAVID'S97F250HD
Posting Guru
Here is a thaught, with the excessive idling and if you have alot of blow by it could carry oil vapour and pool it on the rubber boot/bottom of the turbo. Then when you take her out and play a little the turbo will draw that collected oil in to the engine and you thus have a blue smoke show.

As for the injector o-rings, I have all new injector o-rings and I still smoke blue on start up so I'm leaning toward tired injectors and/or valve stem seals/guides. My engine has 140,000 miles and recieved oil changes every 3000 miles..........2000miles changes by previous owner up to 100,000miles when I purchased the truck, I'm leaning toward the injector theory.