6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4 a failure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 11:00 PM
2x6 bulldog
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great thread and great info! Keep it going! No the 6.4 IS NOT A FAILURE! Sounds to me like it is state of the art in a diesel engine that is being throttled by the EPA!

Old 09-07-2008, 11:15 AM
jwolf1
New User
hey southtexasdiesel, not too be nosy, but what kinda ballpark figure can you put on your upgrades? Also, is there any heat you can get in for taking off the DPF? Could DOT give you fines and keep you idle if they wanted? Its and EPA regulation for 2008 and newer models, and you just yanked it off and essentially said to hell with that. Im sure I'd do the same if i had a new truck, who wants all that power restriceted by a buncha pencil pushers in an office? Hell, if your truck is pushing the power you say and with the mileage you state your getting, we all should have one! this is just the first ive heard good reports on this motor. Most folks whine about the low MPG's, but their trucks are stock. Fill us in!

Old 09-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jwolf1
hey southtexasdiesel, not too be nosy, but what kinda ballpark figure can you put on your upgrades? Also, is there any heat you can get in for taking off the DPF? Could DOT give you fines and keep you idle if they wanted? Its and EPA regulation for 2008 and newer models, and you just yanked it off and essentially said to hell with that. Im sure I'd do the same if i had a new truck, who wants all that power restriceted by a buncha pencil pushers in an office? Hell, if your truck is pushing the power you say and with the mileage you state your getting, we all should have one! this is just the first ive heard good reports on this motor. Most folks whine about the low MPG's, but their trucks are stock. Fill us in!
If you get pulled over for a random inspection by the DOT or police, whatever, and they see that you have no DPF, they will take your truck, slap you thousands in fines, and possible jail time in a federal prison. But most likely just fines.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:52 AM
No1Hookman
Senior User
Originally Posted by Lead Head
If you get pulled over for a random inspection by the DOT or police, whatever, and they see that you have no DPF, they will take your truck, slap you thousands in fines, and possible jail time in a federal prison. But most likely just fines.

That's the price you pay when you want to play.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:23 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru

No problem, three days before you get pulled over for the emissions equipment check, you just report your DPF as being stolen.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:29 PM
2x6 bulldog
Senior User
Yea thats like telling the cop that you came by him yesterday and weren't speeding!

Old 09-07-2008, 12:49 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
So what state do you live in that they do random inspections? That wouldn't fly here.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:21 PM
jwolf1
New User
I live in Va, and DOT is all over the place. Interstate 81 runs up the west side of the state and is a major north south trucking route for the East Coast. Its not uncommon to see semi's pulled over and on transportable scales on Rt. 340 or 50 or any State road. I guess the state troopers think they may be trying to dodge the scales that are on I 81. How hard would it be for em to pull over a pickup hauling something? Now, i pull a livestock trailer fairly often and have never been messed with, but as far as a flatbed trailer and a load, now that might look like a commercial hauler. Plus, your 'supposed to" go across the scales in a pickup and trailer just like the semi's do. And i know we've all driven by a weigh station and seen rigs in the back, having a full inspection by some *** hole state trooper. Im not saying it would happen, but man it sure would suck if you had a new pickup and got hammered on this.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:00 PM
No1Hookman
Senior User
If you've got a new truck making a lot of noise and smoke, then I would think your chances of being checked are greatly increased.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
So what state do you live in that they do random inspections? That wouldn't fly here.
Every state has these. Even emissions testing exempt states. With diesel being so high, the government is cracking down on people running red diesel.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:01 PM
richfaa
Elder User
Ford as well as the others has to meet the 2010 emission standards.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:17 PM
J.T. Guitar
Senior User
I've said it before, I'll say it again... I know tons of cops, most couldn't care less about EPA regulations. Show me a cop that does, and I'll show you a cop that needs more to do.

I always read about these phantom fines... Does anyone actually know anyone that has been fined, or charged with a DPF delete? I'm guessing no.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:51 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
I don't know anyone personally, but I do know people that have been pulled over and fined for running red diesel.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:48 AM
sturzinator
Senior User
Dyed diesel is one thing... that's a big no-no and the Highway Patrol always checks that around here. DPF-delete pipes? I doubt many of them know what they are or care that you took it off.... same thing with CAT's.... Maybe in Cali, but you'd have to do something pretty drastic to get nailed with a DPF-delete fine I would think.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:04 AM
J.T. Guitar
Senior User
Originally Posted by sturzinator
Dyed diesel is one thing... that's a big no-no and the Highway Patrol always checks that around here. DPF-delete pipes? I doubt many of them know what they are or care that you took it off.... same thing with CAT's.... Maybe in Cali, but you'd have to do something pretty drastic to get nailed with a DPF-delete fine I would think.
Totally agree.

Quick Reply: 6.4 a failure?