6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 not starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 12:13 AM
FordTruckJunkie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 not starting

My problem started on Sat. Started up my '03 88,000 mile F350 and ran around for about a hour and a half, including fueling it up. My wife dropped me off at work then took the truck and parked it. She went out 15 mins. later and tried to start it and it cranked but wouldn't fire. I pulled the upper fuel filter, fuel pressure is good, so oil pressure should be fine too. The truck sat all night. It started right up Sunday, no smoke, nothing didn't act like anything happened. I changed both fuel filters and started and drove it like normal Mon. Tues. and all day today. It started every time, power was fine, I figured I got in some bad fuel. Tonight I was idling around a parking lot, and the truck just died and once again won't start. Cranks fine, plenty of fuel in the top filter, no codes. Any thoughts? Tomorrow I should check my wiring harness for friction marks. My brother insists it is the cam position sen. I am not sure. What do the gurus here think?

Old 09-04-2008, 11:52 AM
B846B
Senior User
I am no expert but two weeks ago I had a similar problem. My Excursion has 68,227 miles. I would try to start it and it would die, start again and no problem. Last week I went on a hunting trip in Ely, Nevada. Towed my trailer and parked it. Two days later when I tried to leave the mountains my Excursion only fired on four cylinders then it died. It finally started and drove fine. Got into town, parked it for a few hours. Went to restart, it would not fire at all. Turns out the FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) failed. It falls under the power train warranty of 5/100,000. $100.00 deductable. Hope this helps.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:50 PM
dcaddi2
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FordTruckJunkie
I pulled the upper fuel filter, fuel pressure is good, so oil pressure should be fine too.
I'm not sure the oil pressure should be fine, just because you have fuel pressure.
My first guess would be either wire related problem, ICP and connector, could be FICM, but IMO you looking for HPO related problem.
The CAM basically bulletproof on the 6.0, and you should have DTC if it is the CAM.
Check your wire harness, check your High oil pressure....

Old 09-05-2008, 09:30 AM
FordTruckJunkie
New User
Originally Posted by dcaddi2
I'm not sure the oil pressure should be fine, just because you have fuel pressure.
You are right I didn't really explain myself well. What I ment to say was it dosen't miss, or chug or have any loss of power like I would expect with a high pressure oil problem. It is just all or nothing. Which makes me think bad connection or sensor. I will check out the ICP for leaks around it today.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:53 AM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
I too would lean towords the HPO system,the oil gets hot and leaks through a seal somewhere.My first guess would be the o rings at the pump(mine was cut through from oil pressure)The ICP would likely cause a surge and stumble at idle.The fact that all is normal until the oil gets hot leads my mind to the HPO.Try to get the oil warmed up then take it home and idle it at 1500 in park with the coolant cap off until hot I would bet it stalls.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:48 PM
dcaddi2
Elder User
You are right I didn't really explain myself well. What I ment to say was it dosen't miss, or chug or have any loss of power like I would expect with a high pressure oil problem. It is just all or nothing. Which makes me think bad connection or sensor. I will check out the ICP for leaks around it today.
Well, a little story about what to expect from the HPO system:
My truck died on a second, while I was speeding up from a red light. Just like you turn off with the key. No start, nothing, just cranking. It was the HPO pump itself. These "little" pump is working non-stop, building a huge amount of pressure with their 7 little cylinders, and just like anything else, they could give up with no sign at all. Turned out my little screen under the oil cooler was damaged, and probably something got to the pump and killed it.
Anyways, not trying to be smart@$#$, but do not close out something from the troubleshoot list, just because there was no sign.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:01 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
My 06 6.0 with 30,000 miles has been to the dealer 4 times in the past 2 weeks with them idiots throwing every thing but the sink at it with the same issue you're haveing. they've changed the hpop, the oil pressure sender, the injector o rings, lpop and it crapped out again yesterday with the same problem. I go to crank the truck and the computer in the cluster just says no oil pressure. if they ever get mine fixed I'll let you know what to fix lucky for me it's all been warrenty

my oasis report is starting to take on the appearance of a book!!!!!!

Old 09-05-2008, 06:04 PM
dcaddi2
Elder User
Originally Posted by MAKO314
My 06 6.0 with 30,000 miles has been to the dealer 4 times in the past 2 weeks with them idiots throwing every thing but the sink at it with the same issue you're haveing. they've changed the hpop, the oil pressure sender, the injector o rings, lpop and it crapped out again yesterday with the same problem. I go to crank the truck and the computer in the cluster just says no oil pressure. if they ever get mine fixed I'll let you know what to fix lucky for me it's all been warrenty

my oasis report is starting to take on the appearance of a book!!!!!!
Are you talking about no low oil pressure, or high oil pressure?

Old 09-05-2008, 06:20 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
the computer on the cluster reads the low oil pressure but with that no high oil pressure will biuld, God only knows what they'll throw at it this time h3ll I might even get the kitchen sink

Old 09-05-2008, 06:34 PM
dcaddi2
Elder User
the computer on the cluster reads the low oil pressure but with that no high oil pressure will biuld, God only knows what they'll throw at it this time h3ll I might even get the kitchen sink
With new LPOP and oil pressure sensor, it is definitely a ghost in the machine....
My next clue would be some aftermarket, wrong size oil filter, but I think they wouldn't do that !?
Anyways, I'm sure someone smarter will give you some advice...

Old 09-05-2008, 06:44 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
if it's the oil filter, they did it. the dealer has done all my oil changes so far. I should have known there was a problem why the crap would anybody sale a truck with 28,000 miles on it if it were running great.... oh yeah sorry for the rant and the hijack

Old 09-06-2008, 05:02 AM
dcaddi2
Elder User
if it's the oil filter, they did it. the dealer has done all my oil changes so far. I should have known there was a problem why the crap would anybody sale a truck with 28,000 miles on it if it were running great.... oh yeah sorry for the rant and the hijack
These are the possible sources I found for low oil pressure in the workshop manual.....

<table border="1" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" rules="groups" width="90%"> <caption>Symptom Chart</caption><colgroup></colgroup><colgroup></colgroup><colgroup></colgroup><tbody><tr> <th>Condition</th> <th>Possible Sources</th> <th>Action</th></tr> </tbody><tbody></tbody> <tbody><tr valign="top"><td>
  • Low oil pressure
</td><td>
  • Inaccurate gauge reading
</td> <td>
  • INSTALL a new gauge.
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td>
</td> <td>
  • Low oil level
</td> <td>
  • ADJUST the oil level.
</td> <td>
  • Oil dilution (fuel)
</td> <td>
  • INSPECT the fuel injector O-rings.
</td> <td>
  • Stuck open oil pressure regulator
</td> <td>
  • INSTALL a new oil pressure regulator.
</td> <td>
  • Scored/damaged oil pump
</td> <td>
  • REMOVE the oil pump and inspect.
</td> <td>
  • Damaged or misaligned oil filter drain back valve in the oil filter housing
</td> <td>
  • INSTALL a new oil filter drain back valve.
</td> <td>
  • Rear main gallery plug
</td> <td>
  • REMOVE the transmission/flywheel and inspect.
</td> <td>
  • Broken or damaged piston cooling jets
</td> <td>
  • REMOVE the oil pan and inspect.
</td> <td>
  • Front cover gasket leaks
</td> <td>
  • REMOVE the front cover and inspect the gasket.
</td> <td>
  • Missing gallery plugs
</td> <td>
  • INSPECT for missing plugs.
</td> <td>
  • Missing bearing shell(s)
</td> <td>
  • REMOVE the crankshaft and inspect.
</td> <td>
  • Restriction in the pickup tube or oil pan
</td> <td>
  • REMOVE the oil pan and inspect.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Old 09-11-2008, 08:51 PM
FordTruckJunkie
New User
Just a update in case anyone was wanting answers. I checked the ICP switch and it was leaking oil, so I went to get a new one and found out I was still under war. (my lucky day) so now I am waiting on Ford to get it back to me... Maybe I should have done it myself

Old 09-12-2008, 05:51 PM
dcaddi2
Elder User
Just a update in case anyone was wanting answers. I checked the ICP switch and it was leaking oil, so I went to get a new one and found out I was still under war. (my lucky day) so now I am waiting on Ford to get it back to me... Maybe I should have done it myself
Good thing you still have warranty and dealer fixes it, replace the ICP is a PITA.