2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To those of you with ticking 5.4L motors

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 10:33 AM
jreynolds127
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Ticking destroyed engine

Originally Posted by 78moneypit
My 2004 5.4 started ticking from the right valve train a few thousand miles ago, loud enough to sound like an exhaust leak, but it was definitely coming from the valve train. Local mechanic wasn't willing to tear into it, so went to Ford. They confirmed that it's valve or lifter noise and called it 'not unreasonable' for a 5.4 with 60K miles on it. Wow, so sounding like a clapped out school bus is 'normal' after 60K. No wonder Ford is tanking in the marketplace...

Anyway, service manager said not to fix it now, because the 5.4s they worked on in the past for this were a mixed bag. Sometimes, replacing lifters fixed it, sometimes it also required valves, and one never did stop ticking until they replaced the whole motor. He said those engines are notoriously persnickety, and to just keep driving it until the noise becomes too annoying, then think about tearing into it.

I know from searching here that lots of folks have dealt with ticking 5.4s. Anyone just keep driving theirs with the tick? I'm wondering how long before I'm looking at an expensive repair...
My service manager said same thing. After 5,000 more miles removed right valve cover. Cam lobes galled. One lobe scored. Now recommends new engine! There is an oiling problem on right side. Oil and filter always serviced per Ford schedule. Truck gets light usage. 2004 model with less than 60,000 miles.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:01 PM
Dave G.
Elder User
It's too bad that Ford didn't learn from past history with oiling problems. It seems pretty basic to me, that with an over-engineered engine, with too many moving parts, that some attention to oil flow/volume wasn't higher on the "must do" list. Pressure in itself means very little, without adequate volume to go with it.

It's bad enough for any make/model truck, to need a new engine, but with the 5.4, it's a lottery dropping in another one. I suppose, that a new crate engine is complete with the same oiling issue ? Sounds like a barter point.

If it wasn't for the interchange issues with electronics and front drive train, I'd drop in a FE engine, and run circles around the 5.4. No worries about losing mpg, I don't get any as it is. Mine's been ticking since I bought it, used, and it's maybe a touch worse. I run 15w-40 until the temps hit the 30's. 110,000 mi., 2005, F-250 SD. ( I know, wrong forum, same engine though.).

Dave

Old 06-24-2013, 08:12 PM
MarksA-C
Senior User
My truck is a 2004, has the 3v 5.4
I got the truck with 89k and I have it up to 114k in about 14 months. I drive a LOT!
At first I thought my truck had the cam phaser issue, until I heard one in person and realized my truck is fine. Has a minor exhaust leak on the passenger side and the injectors are loud as heck. I change my oil every 4-5k and only use motorcraft 5w20 and motorcraft oil filters. Happily get 20mpg too.

I recommend anyone who has a ticking sound to get a automotive stethoscope (Harbor freight like $5) and just go a once over of your engine.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:46 PM
Dave G.
Elder User
I've put on 25,000 in 2 years, most of it as a work truck ( res. builder ). In work get up, which is about 15,000 lbs., truck and trailer, I average about 7 mpg. In 40 years of owning Ford trucks, with every engine offered, except diesels, I've never gotten more than 17 mpg, usually closer to 15. This one won't get 20 mpg, ever. 7200 lbs. empty, 9200 GVWR.

With the load ratings and towing capacity, it probably shouldn't have been offered with such a small engine as a 5.4. It's pretty hilly around here, and it runs 3,000- 3700 rpms a lot. Perfect situation for oiling issues.

Dave

Old 08-11-2013, 09:46 PM
rrzielin
Junior User
I have to add my 63 sense into this ticking issue, cause I went down this road with FoMoCo and a 1998 F-150. Same noise at 72K many years ago. If your have been using oil filters with sub standard back flow preventors in them... that is the major contributor to this problem, and why 15W40 calms it down. These motors are built loose to keep internal heat down, and the least little lack of lube results in this problem. After much research and enforcing my extended warranty rights, I managed to get a new short block and heads out of Ford. Good Luck, and buy good filters. WIX, Motorcraft... dont believe me, dig into it on the internet. The Motorcraft Sythetic blended oils and filters are far superior as proven in various outside chemical and performace tests. Sometimes its necessary to get behind all the glitz of advertising and cheap prices. I dont need to tell you guys ... Motor Oil and filters are a motors Blood of Life. Peace - Ecclesiastes 5, RZ Michigan

Old 08-12-2013, 10:57 AM
RISUPERCREWMAN
Senior User
There are several important factors why people have problems with the 3v 5.4 motor!
1. Failure to use the 5w-20 viscosity oil weight meeting the Ford Spec.
2. Failure to use the MotorCraft FL-820-S filter exclusively
3. Failure to change the oil at proper intervals to reduce any sludge.

Failure to do as stated above & you WILL have issues with this motor at some point!

Old 08-12-2013, 05:24 PM
rrzielin
Junior User
Amen!

Originally Posted by RISUPERCREWMAN
There are several important factors why people have problems with the 3v 5.4 motor!

Failure to do as stated above & you WILL have issues with this motor at some point!

Yep ... I lived the problems and issues. Thought I knew better with aftermarket stuff, until i did some research and smartened up.
True Blue FORD - 45 or so years
Rich
Peace

Old 08-15-2013, 01:55 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 981 Likes on 755 Posts
wow, interesting read. some of you folks have very good "ford" technical insite. others have very good "been there, done that" knowledge. my two cents. Had the ticking noise on my recently accuired 2005 f-250 with 84k miles. sounded like the mentioned exhaust leak and only hearable with window open and passing a wall, truck or some other object that the sound could bounce off of. Since I ran into this tick on other vehicles, I tired a solution which worked most of the time in other engines. I switched to synthetic 0W20. No more tick. So I agree with you folks that are focussing on the limited oil passages in the upper heads......I think the 0W20 in my vehicle is helping with that. I have also heard that this ticking noise is actually an injector, so some of you folks might want to try some type of fuel lube additive like the lucas stuff. About the 15W40, I tried that once in an expidition by accident....engine never ran right after that. might be OK for a worn in engine that was broken in on dino oil, but i wouldn't do it on an negine that has only had synthetic run thru it. If you want the zinc and other metals that are still avail in deisl oil, best to just get some oil additives. good luck to you.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:07 AM
120mm Jedi
New User

I have a 2004 Expedition 5.l (2v) with about 132K miles. I bought it used in 05 with 32K on it. I have the ticking noise everyone speaks of (was always there but has gotten progresivly worse, now sounds like a power stroke diesl at cold start) and its getting pretty bad. I have been doing my own oil changes from day one and I was not as "educated" on the 5.4l motor as I am now. I always used a high quality 5w/20 oil (last 4 times was mobil1 high milage full synth) and good quality filter but not MC products. After the insight I have gaind on these forums, I'm switching to MC 5w/20 synth blend and 820 filter. I also have cleaned the throtle body, put a potent fuel system cleaner in the tank, and intend to add some seafoam or the like to the crank case and upper intake before my next oil change. My question is, does anyone have an idea if switching now to the MC oil and filter will have much of an impact on my engine life, or is the damage already done?

Old 08-04-2014, 11:39 AM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by 120mm Jedi
I have a 2004 Expedition 5.l (2v) with about 132K miles. I bought it used in 05 with 32K on it. I have the ticking noise everyone speaks of (was always there but has gotten progresivly worse, now sounds like a power stroke diesl at cold start) and its getting pretty bad. I have been doing my own oil changes from day one and I was not as "educated" on the 5.4l motor as I am now. I always used a high quality 5w/20 oil (last 4 times was mobil1 high milage full synth) and good quality filter but not MC products. After the insight I have gaind on these forums, I'm switching to MC 5w/20 synth blend and 820 filter. I also have cleaned the throtle body, put a potent fuel system cleaner in the tank, and intend to add some seafoam or the like to the crank case and upper intake before my next oil change. My question is, does anyone have an idea if switching now to the MC oil and filter will have much of an impact on my engine life, or is the damage already done?
If you have a 2 valve its not cam phasers. If its only noisy when cold check for broken exhaust manifold studs. Don't worry about only using motorcraft oil. Its just a brand. Use any brand you want as long as it meets the specification for your vehicle.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:39 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot

if this were true

a. no one using 5W20 and meeting service schedule would have this problem
b. ford would not have changed the phasors (new ones have smaller oil passage exit holes) to increase oil pressure
c. ford would not have published a TB advising dealers that it would be ok for customers who are annoyed with the tick to use 10W40
d. dome class action would be needed for owners of 2000 and earlier 5.4's since ford specified 5W30 for those engines.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:52 PM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
if this were true

a. no one using 5W20 and meeting service schedule would have this problem
b. ford would not have changed the phasors (new ones have smaller oil passage exit holes) to increase oil pressure
c. ford would not have published a TB advising dealers that it would be ok for customers who are annoyed with the tick to use 10W40
d. dome class action would be needed for owners of 2000 and earlier 5.4's since ford specified 5W30 for those engines.
Is the 10w40 rumor ever going to die!?! That tsb was recalled and it was for a tick during slight acceleration or tip in of the throttle as they called it. Not the anytime under 1200 rpm cam phaser noise. If you want to run 10w40 fine it might even be thick enough to mask the sound ever so slightly but never did ford release a tsb saying that was the fix for this issue.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:28 AM
sosotwo
Senior User
well I gotta say I too have a 2008 5.4 that has a tick.
I just tore it apart cause it was starting to stall out. I tore all the front cover off and redid the timing and one phaser.
I pin on the right phaser was very loose in the hole.
It was causing the chain to slap the case as well as ride up on the crank trigger wheel.
once it is all fixed I am selling this pos and going to go back to something older. between the 5.4 and the 4x4 system it just frustrates me.
I think there should have been recalls on all of these problems.
why did we bail them out again?

Old 08-05-2014, 10:17 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Old 08-05-2014, 11:13 AM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
I forgot it was for 09-10 F150's only as well. Has even less to do with the 04-08 cam phaser noises than even I thought. If anyone here is a Ford employee they can search for the SSM number on PTS but last I checked searchs turned up with this SSM has been removed.

Quick Reply: To those of you with ticking 5.4L motors