2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To those of you with ticking 5.4L motors

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Cofcmsc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jonathan
Can't comment on intake but had a few thoughts. Are you sure she's not getting fuel? Seems could be not getting a good spark too. I assume a full tune up includes new plugs. Sounds like you have eliminated all the easy stuff. Are you running motorcraft plugs? Have you tried replacing the plug on #7 to eliminate the chance that you have a defective part? Have you closely checked coil or injector wire harness for any damage, another member did an epic search only to find a worn harness on #5 to be the culprit. Two long shot ideas 1) use some dielectric grease on plug, and last thought probably makes no difference but 2)did you reset ECU yet?

Shawn

Old 09-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Dave G.
Elder User
What kind of spark plugs ? Anything but Motorcraft has been known to cause this problem ( not always ). Probably should verify that the injector is actual working. If not check the harness.

Outside chance there is a bad lash adjuster, but it's funny it started after a tune up.

Slight chance, regardless of the plug brand, that #7 plug is bad or cracked.

Dave

Old 10-10-2012, 09:45 PM
The_PugNasty
New User
no sir

Im rockin a 5.4 in my 97 and it has 310,000 miles. It ticks slightly, almost like a pin hole exhaust leak after it's warmed up, and when its really cold it has an obvious lifter type tick until it warms, but it never has been loud and I dont know if i'd be comfortable running with that kinda noise too long. Probably is a lifter or valve lash, maybe just check valve to cam clearances and adjust accordingly before you end up with irreparable flat spots.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:32 PM
ajc1460
New User
Originally Posted by 78moneypit
My 2004 5.4 started ticking from the right valve train a few thousand miles ago, loud enough to sound like an exhaust leak, but it was definitely coming from the valve train. Local mechanic wasn't willing to tear into it, so went to Ford. They confirmed that it's valve or lifter noise and called it 'not unreasonable' for a 5.4 with 60K miles on it. Wow, so sounding like a clapped out school bus is 'normal' after 60K. No wonder Ford is tanking in the marketplace...

Anyway, service manager said not to fix it now, because the 5.4s they worked on in the past for this were a mixed bag. Sometimes, replacing lifters fixed it, sometimes it also required valves, and one never did stop ticking until they replaced the whole motor. He said those engines are notoriously persnickety, and to just keep driving it until the noise becomes too annoying, then think about tearing into it.

I know from searching here that lots of folks have dealt with ticking 5.4s. Anyone just keep driving theirs with the tick? I'm wondering how long before I'm looking at an expensive repair...

Where is Ford "tanking" in the marketplace?

Old 11-26-2012, 12:58 PM
ajc1460
New User
Switching to Diesel Oil will NOT gum up your engine at all. I ran a 3900 Manitowoc for over 10 years and ran exclusively 15W40 Valvoline S3 Diesel oil in it, and that thing was spotless inside after 5,000 hours. I ran the same oil in my old 79 F150 with the 300 Six and never had the lifter noise that everyone else seemed to have with those. Great oil, and I am going to use it in my 07 with the ticking 5.4 in it now that I have this information. I don't know why I didn't think of it myself. Thanks for that info. BTW, these 5.4 motors are a joke IMO. Way too many issues compared to GM and Dodge. And I am a die hard and really hard headed Ford man to the bone. But you got to admit these things have too many issues to live up to the Ford tough name.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:12 PM
JW 10
New User
Hello, just wanted to jump in on this topic and thank the members who mentioned about the loose spark plug causing the ticking noise. I've had this ticking noise for about a 1000 miles now once the truck reaches operating temp and was sure it was something internal. After reading about the loose spark plug, I took the stethoscope to each of my COP's and listened for the ticking. I changed my plugs @ 100k miles so I hoped I just didn't torque one down enough. After checking them all, #8 definitely had a noticeable tick. I pulled the COP and sure enough, the plug was loose! I pulled the plug, double checked the seating, reinstalled it, and NO MORE TICKING!
Thanks to everyone for their input on this forum, BTW I pulled all 8 plugs w/o busting them, thanks to the advise here.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:54 PM
jmichaels046
New User
Tap is not just for dancing!

I have a tapping noise also on the passenger side of my 04 FX4 w/5.4. I have been told it is the cam phasers, the rocker arms, the exhaust, and anyone else that had an opinion has voiced it. It sure sounds like a lifter tapping to me and it does not do it all the time. I have noticed that the longer it runs and the warmer it gets the tapping stays.
I run Mobil 1, 5w20 in it and change it about every 6 months since I only drive 3 miles round trip from home to work and back.
I spoke to one mechanic that told me I should do a cam phaser lockout. The mechanic went on to say the engine would run so much more quiet and he would reprogram it to where I wouldn't lose any top end power.
When I mentioned this to a tech guy from Troyer performance he advised against it and said to just replace the cam phasers. I forgot to mention I have 104,000 miles on the truck.
I would be interested in any input from some of you gentlemen as to your opinions.
Thank you.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Dave G.
Elder User
jmichaels046

A majority of the time, the ticking is cam phaser/tension adjuster related. Both are at the front of the head. However,, a $10.00 stethoscope could confirm this, or point the "ear" at a bad lash adjuster or cam follower. They also produce a very similar "tick", and from feedback I've gotten, it's usually either #2 or #3 cylinder. The determiner is the location on the head to isolate valve train or cam phaser issues.

Other possible causes are the laminated steel exhaust manifold gasket leaking between the plies, pin hole leaks in the exhaust manifold itself, or as mentioned above, a loose plug.

Dave

Old 05-06-2013, 02:30 PM
woodman308
New User
Same issues with clicking

I bought this truck used and took it to a mechanic before I bought it. He said that noise was just how these Fords sound. Another mechanic told not to worry about it either.
Mine does not go away when the engine warms. It seems to get worse.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:36 PM
FordFamily21
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been following this problem for a while now, and I would like to share what success I have had. I used a private place that tunes cars or trucks, and they changed the computer (which Ford can't do) We turned up the idle when it's hot at operating temperature and in gear (D), it must be turned up and over 625 rpm this solves the engine shaking (the engine does this to try and save it's self by pumping more oil where it's needed, the ECM current idle is 500 rpm), but also turn up the idle to 600 rpm when it's in park. The shaking only happens during warm weather and/or pulling a trailer. The oil galleries aren't large enough for this size of engine, and the oil pump isn't strong enough to support this engine. Also run the 5w30 instead of the 5w20. This has solved 3 of my shaking/ticking 5.4 engines, 2004, 2006, and 2007. Good luck!

Old 05-07-2013, 10:52 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the galleries are not big enough why does the truck run fine up until 100k or so? Raising idle is a temp fix to worn bearings. You still have oil pressure issues.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:53 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
i feel Ford should have left the Mod motor in the Crown Vic and just stayed with the 302 and 351 motors and put a better EFI system on them in 99 when the Super Duties came out. After 11 years Ford finally wised up and dumped the mod motors and brought back the 302 and the new big boy 6.2...... Gm had the 350 motor for what over fifty years and they still offer it in different displacements throughout their truck line

Old 05-08-2013, 09:57 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
my truck was quiet its entire life, now with 110k I'm getting a light tick when cold until warmed up. Thats with OEM oil filter and Pennzoil full synthetic 5W20 oil ever 4k since brand new......

Old 05-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Fordman79
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
i feel Ford should have left the Mod motor in the Crown Vic and just stayed with the 302 and 351 motors and put a better EFI system on them in 99 when the Super Duties came out. After 11 years Ford finally wised up and dumped the mod motors and brought back the 302 and the new big boy 6.2...... Gm had the 350 motor for what over fifty years and they still offer it in different displacements throughout their truck line
Sorry to burst your bubble, but to my knowledge the 5.0L and 6.2L are still Mod motors.

I now have a 05 F-150 with the 5.4L an I too have "tick" sound. Bought the truck with 66,000. It now has 88,000 sound doesn't bother me to much. I too have noticed a shake at idle when warm. I also recently had a check engine diagnosed as a lean condition turned out it was a oxygen sensor. Runs great since sensor replaced and despite the "tick". Still lights them tires up.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:33 PM
hotweekend
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by mitch150
Yeah I'm thinking the same thing. will probably change oil at 3000 mile interval. So far though, ticking is gone and truck runs great.
Hi Mitch, what oil brand are you using? I am another victim of the 5.4 noise

Quick Reply: To those of you with ticking 5.4L motors