Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Idaho Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Idaho Chapter Idaho Chapter
Join Chapter, Leader: im2tall33

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator
1969 Ford F-250

Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
Registering homebuilt trailer

What do I need to do to register a homebuilt trailer in ID?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Senior User
Garage is empty, add now

jwshobe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sorry, I don't know for sure. But a friend said that you take in receipts from the parts that were purchased to build the trailer (so that you don't have to pay sales tax) into the DMV and put an estimate on trailer worth on it and thats it.

Like I said though, don't know for sure, it is heresay. I hope it is that easy though.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Post Fiend
1993 Ford F-250

Sycostang67 has a good reputation on FTE.Sycostang67 has a good reputation on FTE.Sycostang67 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwshobe View Post
Sorry, I don't know for sure. But a friend said that you take in receipts from the parts that were purchased to build the trailer (so that you don't have to pay sales tax) into the DMV and put an estimate on trailer worth on it and thats it.

Like I said though, don't know for sure, it is heresay. I hope it is that easy though.

Thats right, I have done it several times. Just bring a couple reciepts for some or all of the parts you purchased to build it and if it's under a certain weight limit they will give you a registration. If it's over the limit(cant remember what the limit is) then you may have to get it looked at and assigned a vin# and title. I've built 3 pickup bed trailers and gone in with reciepts just for the wheels and tires and not had any problems.
1993 F-250 HD XLT Lariat SC 4X4 7.3/5spd ATS WG turbo @ 12psi, 3" DP 4" straight exhaust, 5" stacks, Hypermax cowl induction, IP up 3 flats, DPS stage 1 injectors, GPR LED mod, Pyro/Boost guages-186whp 363wtq @ 10psi
1986 F-250HD XLT Lariat 4X4 6.9/T19, soup bowl mod, straight pipe.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
1969 Ford F-250

Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
Ok, I might have to have somebody "sell" me some parts then, since I don't have any receipts anymore.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Post Fiend
1993 Ford F-250

Sycostang67 has a good reputation on FTE.Sycostang67 has a good reputation on FTE.Sycostang67 has a good reputation on FTE.
If you dont have any reciepts, you could just make up a bill of sale for like $100 saying you purchased the trailer. They will charge you 5% tax on the sale price though. You could even use a reciept for a car or truck part that could go on a trailer. A friend gave me a small trailer that was on some property he bought, I bought some wheels/tires for it, went and said I built it and they gave me a plate for it.

I think the weight limit is something like 2k. If the trailer itself weighs 2k or less you wont need a title.
1993 F-250 HD XLT Lariat SC 4X4 7.3/5spd ATS WG turbo @ 12psi, 3" DP 4" straight exhaust, 5" stacks, Hypermax cowl induction, IP up 3 flats, DPS stage 1 injectors, GPR LED mod, Pyro/Boost guages-186whp 363wtq @ 10psi
Old 05-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Postmaster
1964 Ford Falcon

jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.
I am new at this forum thing so please bear with me. The question I have is , I have the title for a pickup I parted out and have the frame and box left to make a trailor out of. Will the D.M.V. need more and will they charge me 5% tax ? Thanks for any help.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Senior User
Garage is empty, add now

jwshobe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would think that you would't need anything else Jim, and since you have the title they probably won't have to charge you sales tax because you already paid it in the original purchase. But I don't know for sure.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Postmaster
1964 Ford Falcon

jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.jim collins has a good reputation on FTE.
Thanks jwshobe , I am new at this forum thing so maybe you can tell mw how I can get the name "JIMBO-JUNK" up in the left corner of my posting instead of my full name like you have yours ?
Old 05-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator
1969 Ford F-250

I have since registered both my trailers, all you need is a scale slip for a homebuilt trailer. Under 2000lbs -empty- there is no title, just a little plate. Over 2000 empty, and you're going to have to pay a road use tax and title fee, and get a big plate.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:21 AM
Post Fiend
1993 Ford F-250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Six View Post
I have since registered both my trailers, all you need is a scale slip for a homebuilt trailer. Under 2000lbs -empty- there is no title, just a little plate. Over 2000 empty, and you're going to have to pay a road use tax and title fee, and get a big plate.
When I bought my brand new 18' flatbed #2450 empty I was still issued a small plate. I wasn't asked for a scale slip for my new homemade flatbed or any trailer I've built, they just took my word for it. What I found odd was that when my mother went to get a plate for her 6x12 enclosed trailer, they said she had to have a large plate because the trailer was for business purposes. They wouldn't let her transfer a small plate she already had which still had 8 years left on the tag. Different counties, different rules?
Old 05-14-2009, 06:42 AM
Postmaster
1964 Ford Falcon

I think that may be true about the business use. I bought a homebuilt 8x16 flatbed for my construction business a few years ago. I had to pay a tax and buy a large comercial plate. They told me I had to do that because I had comercial plates on my pickup.The trailer was over 2000 net. it was never inspected and has no title. I gave them the length from front of the bed back, then I heard later that length was suppose to include the tongue. Maybe it depends on who is working at the counter at the DMV the day you go in?
Old 05-14-2009, 06:42 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Idaho Chapter

Tags
bed, building, built, charge, home, idaho, pickup, plates, register, registering, sales, tax, title, trailer, trailers