1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Newbie Questions: F150 and Bronco

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 11:44 PM
dumans24
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Questions: F150 and Bronco

Hi ... I've just bought a 1988 full size Bronco (302) and a 1988 F150 4x4 (351W). Got both of them dirt cheap - seems V8s are being given away these days. Hey, I'm a sucker for a bargain. Anyway, both need some work to get on the road, but nothing major. Biggest question is that they both could use new ignition key cylinders ... I understand this is typical. Is it just as easy to go buy a couple complete steering columns at a junkyard ($50), or should I just go to NAPA and get the cylinders with new keys? Doesn't the steering wheel need to come all the way off to replace the cylinder? And, looks like one of them could use a new actuator rod ... how big a deal is that to replace? Also, both are very hard to get into 4WD ... any trick there, or is that typical too? Thanks much. Dan ... Northern NJ

Old 08-31-2008, 06:49 AM
northern 7.3
Temporarily Deactivated
steering column from the junkyard may have the same problem, or soon have the same problem. replace with new, i would stay away from napa personally as i've been through their junk program they sell.. buy, replace, replace, replace, no more warranty so buy somewhere else.(my personal experience anyway) i know years back when i did my 84 f150 i got the stuff from ford and it wasnt very expensive.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:05 AM
GlennFordx4
Posting Guru
If they have a tilt wheel,look below your hazard switch and there should be a hole where there is the pin that locks the tumbler in,put the key in run position,and use a small screwdriver or drift push the pin in and you should be able to pull the lock out.If it is not a tilt wheel you will have to remove the steering wheel to get to the pin and do the same thing put in run position push the pin in and pull the lock.

As far as the rod goes what is the problem you are having ,sticking or not returning or no start problems.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:28 AM
dumans24
New User
Neither column is tilt, so it looks like the steering wheels are coming off. I looked this morning ... the F150 is missing the actuator rod (and key) altogether. I also found what looks like a new ignition actuator in the glove box, so previous owner must have been messing with it. The Bronco has a new ignition switch (after fiddling with EEC and Fuel Pump relays, find a bad ground, etc). It shifts OK, but doesn't seem to catch into gear like it did before I put the new switch in. It'll go into reverse fine, but D, 2, and 1 take some time before it kicks into gear. What did I do? Is ignition switch not positioned properly? Thanks, Dan.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:00 AM
uncle.stosh
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The ignition switch has nothing to do with your shifting.

Check your fluid level and possibly remove the pan and either clean or replace the screen.

If that doesn't work, you have other tranny issues.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:02 AM
GlennFordx4
Posting Guru
With the Bronco it sounds like you got some other issues then with the switch,has nothing to do with the shift lever unless you had the whole column out and apart and put something back wrong,sounds like a tranny problem you are describing.

The truck if you are like me and don't like messing with crap that someone else took upon them self to mess up and you don't have a good or factory manual I would source a good used column I think 81 to 91 use the same column and should be cheap and easy to find since they don't tilt or for a little extra coin put one in that does tilt.