Door jamb sensor on 1972 F100

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2001, 12:23 PM
Art
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who knows what the sensor is for that's in the door jamb of a 1972 F100?

It looks like a proximity sensor. I thought it might be for the interior courtesy light - but there's a switch for the light just like my 1969's have. I can't find it in my 1972 service manual's "electrical" book either.

Any ideas?

Art

Old 01-14-2001, 06:45 PM
jbhf250
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You Write >>Who knows what the sensor is for that's in the door jamb of a 1972 F100?<<

I don`t have one....Not FACTORY stuff!!

NOW could it be an Add On for Speaker connections that `Make` when the door is closed!

__JOHN__Őżö
Member-
http://www.cruisin-north.com/
Santa Rosa, Calif.
72 F-250
ICQ#6030753
https://www.ford-trucks.com/pictorial/big/1972_f250_2.html

Old 01-18-2001, 10:35 AM
StockMan
Posting Guru

[FONT COLOR="#0000ff" SIZE="3" FACE="Veranda"]
It is actually factory. I have the same thing on an F100 Explorer. I believe it to be tied to safety to "sense" closure, or lack thereof, of the door, but before I go spreading BS, I'll look into this a little more. :-)
[/FONT]

[LINK:www.hometown.aol.com/tbeeee|http://members.aol.com/tbeeee/page/registrysig.gif]

Old 01-18-2001, 06:49 PM
Art
Senior User

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 18-Jan-01 AT 07:51&nbsp;PM (EST)[/font][p]Thanks Stockman, I've seen a couple and know they have a Ford part number on them. I just was wondering what the heck it's for - I remember seeing it on the driver's side only.

Art

Old 01-19-2001, 08:14 AM
StockMan
Posting Guru

Art:

I don't have handy access to the one truck I own which has it. If you can give me whatever part no. or id markings you can find and I'll research it in the books.
[/FONT]

[LINK:www.hometown.aol.com/tbeeee|http://members.aol.com/tbeeee/page/registrysig.gif]

Old 01-30-2001, 06:34 PM
Art
Senior User

[font size="4" color="#191979"]

Thom, I finally got you a part number: D2AF-12A164-BA. The housing appears to be made of stainless steel and it sure looks like a proximity or temperature sensor. Besides that, it has the Ford emblem and some other really hard to read numbers on it: T-O-D-48T 32285 D2 It is on F10YKP4XXXX, my 1972 F100 shortbox from Colorado that had a blown up 360 and a 4spd.

The other location I saw a similar sensor was a 1972 F100 longbox with a 240 and a 3spd that I scrapped. That one has a cast (bronze?) housing with the same part number and STEMCO (the supplier?) stamped into it. I checked the wiring harness I removed from this truck (my only 1972 harness that's complete), and see the wires go from the sensor in the door jamb towards the dash, where one wire connects with an in-line fuse (glass barrel-type, like an aftermarket radio would use). Then, the wires continue thru the firewall to some type of vacuum switch. One grey wire goes from there to a grimy location - engine or trans I can't tell anymore. The other wires meet up with the engine harness connector and go back thru the firewall back into the passenger compartment. From there, they're lost in the black tape wrapping that I don't want to hack up just for curosity's sake.

Then I had a brainstorm - check my brother's 1972 F250 F25YLP3XXXX parts truck with a 360 and T-18, but that stopped at the door jamb - no sensor. There was a hole for it and its attaching screws, but one was never installed. I checked and can see that the engine wiring harness had the connectors to be able install this mystery gadget.

My best WAG (wild @ss guess) is that it is for some type of smog equipment that is on lighter GVW trucks (therefore not on the F250). I checked my Chilton's car wiring diagrams (I'd give anything for the truck version) under 1972 Ford cars, but the closest thing I found is something like TCS or TSC - transmission spark control????

Maybe you can pull it off again with a pic pulled from a 1972 parts book - my Ford Truck parts book is 6" thick and for 1968 only. Thanks!

Art

Old 02-06-2001, 10:28 AM
BB
Post Fiend

Sorry guys I didn’t see this post earlier. Art is right, that is an ambient air thermal sense switch for the emission control system. Lighter duty trucks and all cars from that time period were saddled with this system. The thermal switches are similar throughout the years but the control system that it is hooked up to went through several names and changes.

Basically the system controls emissions by NOT allowing any vacuum advance to the distributor unless the vehicle is moving at least 25 to 35 mph OR the outside air temperature is below 50 degrees. The earlier system used a speed sensor spliced into the speedometer cable and an electronic control module with a solenoid valve. The later system used a transmission switch to signal high gear and an electronic amplifier with a modulator valve.

I can help you troubleshoot the various evolutions of this system if needed.

Not very exciting after all.

Barry

Old 02-09-2001, 10:38 AM
Art
Senior User

[font size="3" color="#191979"]
Thanks BBB!

I wasn't planning on using it, I just wondered what the heck it's for, since it is not on my 1969 trucks.

Art

Old 02-09-2001, 11:49 AM
BB
Post Fiend

Glad I could help, Art. These tack-on systems didn't appear until '70.

Barry

Old 02-12-2001, 04:45 AM
StockMan
Posting Guru

and then a long comes *Barry* -- glad you happened by because the parts book was no help on finding any of those #'s and I have been up to my ash--tray in alligators, actually snow, so I never had a chance to look at my 72. This makes some sense now. Would this little number cause a poor idle at stand still per chance? This truck has a 302 which runs quite poorly with the vacuum advance hooked up and super smooth when it's disconnected. I don't know what it does under a load going 30 mph because it's only a lot truck. What do you think?
[/FONT]

Old 02-12-2001, 01:14 PM
BB
Post Fiend

Thom, something doesn’t sound right. At idle, there should be no vacuum advance going on with or without the smog crap hooked up. Maybe the vacuum source is manifold instead of ported, that could cause it when it’s cold outside and the system is functioning properly. Also, have you ever changed out the vacuum diaphragm? Sometimes the replacement units are not calibrated correctly for the application. That could explain the drivability problems but shouldn’t affect the idle quality though. Two questions before going any further, do you have a single or dual diaphragm advance and are you running points or a conversion?

Barry

Old 02-12-2001, 09:20 PM
Art
Senior User

[font size="3" color="#191979"]
I think Barry's on the right track, as vacuum on the "back side" of a dual diaphragm distributor will retard the timing.

Thanks again for the help ID'ing the mystery sensor, I appreciate it. Makes sense why it's not on the 1972 F250 in the yard.

Art

Old 02-14-2001, 01:21 PM
StockMan
Posting Guru

Barry:

This truck was something I picked up from a friend. It was reported to run, so all enthused, I put a battery in it and it did want to start, but the carb was leaking all over, so I rebuilt that...oops, forgot to check the coolant; put some in...what the (@#$#$#!)is running all over the ground? I then found the rust-ridden freeze plugs...<sigh> changed them out, topped off the coolant, try again, putt-putt, no start, change the plugs, points, etc.; and success, finally! Hey what's that red stuff spraying all over? Gee that kinda looks like tranny fluid. Back to the parts store.

I did have it running over the course of a week long enough to observe the poor idle condition. The distributor has a dual advance and I don't recall whether the vacuum was ported or manifold. Perhaps manifold as you suspect because it did have a negative effect when connected. The truck is actually for sale, parts or otherwise so it is nothing more than a curiousity at this point.
[/FONT]

Old 02-14-2001, 03:31 PM
BB
Post Fiend

Wow Thom, sorry to hear about your misadventure! After all you’ve been through, I’d just disconnect the stupid hose and be done with it. Who knows what else is screwed up on it. At least now you can say that it does indeed “run”.

Hey Art, anytime! I knew there was a reason why I saved all these old emission service manuals. You should see some of the vacuum hose layout drawings, talk about a pile of spaghetti!

Barry

Old 02-15-2001, 09:20 AM
StockMan
Posting Guru

The real kicker was finding the rotten shock tower on the driver's side. I thought it was just spring sag until I poked my head under there for a closer look. The whole tower is rotted right at the frame. I have never seen anything quite like it. I had hoped to make a few bucks on this truck. So much for that. Thanks for all the help.
[/FONT]

Quick Reply: Door jamb sensor on 1972 F100