KBB vs. NADA vs. Edmunds

Old 08-27-2008, 07:27 PM
larmon
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KBB vs. NADA vs. Edmunds

I am looking at a used pickup that I am considering purchasing. I looked up the value on KBB, NADA and Edmunds. While the full retail values were similar, the low retail and even trade in differed greatly between the three. Also, the trade in values for my pickup that I will trade in differs significantly between the three.

This is making it difficult for me to try and determine a fair price for the pickup that I want to purchase as well as a fair price for my trade in. Which, if any of these three (KBB, NADA or Edmunds) is the most realistic. If none of them, is there another way of finding out what the realistic values are?

Thanks,

Larry

Old 08-27-2008, 08:35 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
At this point in time if you are trying to sell your truck, I think the most accurate one will be the one that gives you the lowest price...

Best way (in my opinion) is search what people are paying on eBay for similar trucks.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:11 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Historically, Edmunds is the most accurate, but all bets are off when it comes to anything that gets less than 30MPG right now. KBB will tend to show an artificially-high trade-in, aswhere NADA retail can be absolutely astronomical. Which is why dealers use one book when you're trading in, and another when you want to buy one of THEIR used vehicles...

Old 09-04-2008, 10:45 PM
gruberoliver
New User
I deal with all three and found problems...if you are in a major city I would suggest looking at craigslist and see what similar trucks are selling for. Remember that NADA is published to give an advantage to the car lot...

I think the bottom line in buying a truck is patience...a good deal comes along if you check the websites and ask people you know if they know of a good truck for sale

Old 09-05-2008, 12:35 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to the site gruberoliver!

Glad to have you on board - great post!

Old 09-06-2008, 11:54 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
From personal buying and selling experience as an individual and from working at dealerships and lots. NADA for anything ranging from new to 4 years. Other then that KBB. As someone else mentioned, research CL for true up to the moment value.

As an example, I don't care what the books say, it is almost impossible to GIVE a Ford Explorer away or a V-8 truck, never mind sell it for $2000.

Search this Thread