General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

The new O/T

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annoyance

Ok guys, not to totally divert off the stimulating boot topic..

Do any of you have a small appliance, or otherwise, that has a totally rediculous "filter" of some kind on it, that really isn't necessary, and the machine won't run without it?

I have this coffee grinder/brewer. Krups brand, really nice. Well inside the water pot, it has this foo foo carbon filter that is supposed to make your coffee taste better by removing minerals and such.

Well yesterday morning, I get this little digital frowny face show up on my display on the machine. Beans will grind, but it won't actually brew anything. This is devastating to anyone who is a coffee addict. Keep in mind its about 5:30 a.m. So I take the filter out. Same story.

Apparently, that carbon filter needs changed.

I can buy two of these filters online for $10.00, plus shipping..so by the time I finally get the filters, i'll have paid $15 for them with shipping.

I'm calling a total shenanigan BS on this! What is with these manufacturers putting filters and stuff on things and then program them in such a way that it forces us to buy new ones?

Sorry, stupid story, and stupid thing to get annoyed about. I'm thinking bigger picture here. Big peeve of mine when I am beging forced to purchase something that isn't necessary.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:07 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Markadeck
Nope, Lackawanna, NY. Same company, different location. My longest time ever at a job where I had to punch a clock. Little over a year. They went the same way as all of the big companies in that part of the country. The Democrats taxed them right out of town. Now there's nothing or anybody left to tax anymore. Sad, or Funny?
Very sad, we still got some little ones operating around, one or two are owned by a japanese firm. Talked to a couple guys down at the yard in DE. and they said they work them to death with lower pay, sucks bigtime....I guess the japs got 7 to 10 years of tax breaks, good oll usa taking care of bussiness, their bussiness. Hi-jack officialy over,

Old 08-28-2008, 10:47 AM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by miller_feed
I find Doc Martin boot to be the most comfortable. The also last longer then Red Wing, which I have worn for many years.

Rick, I found just the opposite. I love the red wings, they dont take too much breaking in and are super comfortbale. In my opinion they last alot longer than docs, especially the material on the toes if you work on the ground alot.

My favorite are the steel toe Redwing 4406s

Old 08-28-2008, 10:51 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wear mine every day and they are holding up good for me. I do lots of tractor work and feel better with steel toed boots. I wore Red Wings for 25 years and thought they were the best. These Docs have softer leather. I am sure they are all good.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:54 AM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by miller_feed
I wear mine every day and they are holding up good for me. I do lots of tractor work and feel better with steel toed boots. I wore Red Wings for 25 years and thought they were the best. These Docs have softer leather. I am sure they are all good.

Very true. I do alot of work on Caterpillar machines and also do flooring, so my toes of my boots get it pretty good.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:23 AM
deereman4020
Postmaster
Originally Posted by willeo6709
try walking through airport security with the steel toed boots on ( that you consider normal everyday footwear, most comfortable shoes you own and totally forgot about the metal detector), of course was worse before you had to kick off your shoes to go through xray.... back in pre 9/11/01 days. Still a pain to fly in steel toes....
I have only flown once, and that was a long time before I wore steel toe boots. But yeah I see your point.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:32 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
I wondered why I hadn't gotten notification to the OT thread...there's a new one!

Originally Posted by cookie88
The last two pairs I've bought are from a little Chicago company called Florsheim.
Florsheim has been around for a long time. My step dad has told me stories about how they were the one of the best shoes out there. He used to own a shoe store, so he knew what was good and bad, back in the day.

Originally Posted by Smokin'
I'm calling a total shenanigan BS on this! What is with these manufacturers putting filters and stuff on things and then program them in such a way that it forces us to buy new ones?
Lisa, when you get a new filter, how does the coffee pot know that the filter is new? Can you trick the coffee pot using the old filter at all and not have to buy new filters. That sounds like the kind of stuff I like to figure out to keep the system from trying to work me over.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:34 AM
willeo6709
Elder User

Sorry, stupid story, and stupid thing to get annoyed about. I'm thinking bigger picture here. Big peeve of mine when I am beging forced to purchase something that isn't necessary.
Its time to go low tech.....a 11.99 mr coffee or better yet, use egg white to hold the coffee grounds like they did in the old west... surely someone in the family has an antique percolator they can loan you for such emergencies.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by jtharvey
Lisa, when you get a new filter, how does the coffee pot know that the filter is new? Can you trick the coffee pot using the old filter at all and not have to buy new filters. That sounds like the kind of stuff I like to figure out to keep the system from trying to work me over.
I do still have the old one, and I let it dry out. I am going to try that tonight. I'm not sure how it can tell if the filter is new..maybe by taking it out and putting the old one back in it resets the system. Believe me, I am going to be ****ing with this stupid thing after work today.

Originally Posted by willeo6709
Its time to go low tech.....a 11.99 mr coffee or better yet, use egg white to hold the coffee grounds like they did in the old west... surely someone in the family has an antique percolator they can loan you for such emergencies.
lol. Well luckily I do still have my old funky 1 cup Mr. Coffee from college, but right now I am grinding beans in the new machine, and then transferring them over to the Mr. Coffee. It seems a bit rediculous that my new fancy machine is out of comission and I have to use good ol trusty crusty Mr. Coffee to get a cup! I could just go buy ground coffee I suppose, but now that dang Krups has me addicted to the freshly ground stuff.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:56 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
I'm not sure how it can tell if the filter is new..maybe by taking it out and putting the old one back in it resets the system.
I'm thinking that's it. A simple indicator switch in there that resets a timer and starts the whole process over again.

I would probably order new filters though, because if the carbon one is catching contaminates, you wouldn't want to have it get overloaded and start leaching them back into your coffee. However, you can probably use the old one to get you through till some new ones arrive and you don't have to go w/o coffee.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by jtharvey

I would probably order new filters though, because if the carbon one is catching contaminates, you wouldn't want to have it get overloaded and start leaching them back into your coffee. However, you can probably use the old one to get you through till some new ones arrive and you don't have to go w/o coffee.
Jeremy, that's not helping me beat the system at all! lol!

And what contaminates? I'm using tap water, that I drink straight all the time anyway. That was sorta my whole point to begin with..stupid foo foo filter that I don't really need.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Attach a real close up photo of the filter and one of us smart fellows will come up with an idea how to trick the machine. It must have some kind of sending unit that is telling it that it is taking too much pressure to push water through the filter. All we have to do is get rid of some of the pressure.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:31 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Lisa, what I would do is figure out what part of tht filter is triggering reset and then get rid of the rest of it if you could. Mark's right, we need a pic of this fitler.

You might be suprisded by what's actually in your tap water. Maybe grossed out too. Unless you plan on starting to filter all your water, don't have it tested either. I use a filter on my drinking water, but that's in response to a letter from the city stating that they failed a Federal water test for TTHM.

Mark, you think it's something as complicated as a pressure sensor in there for water pressure? I was thinking more along the lines of a resettable timer that functioned on a set number of brew cycles.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:35 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

I still can't figure out why there are 500 different types of vacum filters! As for coffee i just go to the local shop. Every now and then i get out the french press and make my own. But i hardly ever have time to do that. But if u do it is well worth it.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:41 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
We actually have pretty good drinking water where I am at now. I try not to worry so much about stuff like that, you take in contaminates and germs everywhere, and always. We eat spiders in our sleep, all of our money is covered in feces and cocaine (don't believe me, look it up), and almost every piece of food has some type of contaminate in it or on it (most of the time not enough to make us sick)

Here is what this little filter looks like

It kind of 'snaps' in at the bottom of the water pot, so the water is forced filtered through it before it will percolate.

Quick Reply: The new O/T