1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Lock punched, now what?

Old 08-27-2008, 02:37 PM
bryyce62
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Door Lock punched, now what?

Found out the other morning that someone got into my truck. The door lock was punched in and the lock itself has been damaged. Looks like someone took a big screwdriver and used it like a key
I took off the inside door panel and with a screwdriver, sort of popped the lock back into place. But after a final check, noticed that anything inserted into the lock will unlock the door. That's going to be a problem.

I've seen aftermarket items like jimmy-jammers and using rear door handles with no locks, but I'm not ready to go there yet. If I have to, I will. What I'd really like to do is find the puke that broke the lock and take a screwdriver to his upper torso...but I digress.

What now? Is this a dealer issue? Would a locksmith be the place to call?
I really don't want to change the locks, I'd really like to have the current one repaired.

Anybody?

gw

Old 08-27-2008, 02:50 PM
missouguy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just spitballing here, but you might try a salvage yard for the lock assembly then take that to a locksmith and get it keyed like the others.

I personally agree with the screw driver to the upper torso thing.

Frank

Old 08-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Heavy_Metal
Elder User
If you want your original key to work, you've got to go to a dealer. A precaution you can take, which I have done in the past, is to unplug your cig lighter on the back side of the dash, use some 12 ga wire to connect it to the red wire in the loom of your ignition switch just below the column, making a crude fail safe. You plug the cig lighter in and you can start it, pull it out and hide it and no-one can start it.

Also, these trucks are real easy to steal. Mine was stolen in a matter of minutes from my driveway. GET A STEERING BAR. They do work.

There are alternatives to the plastic door handle boxes too, a guy on ebay sells a metal door handle box assembly. Check it out.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Phrosut
Senior User
Originally Posted by Heavy_Metal
If you want your original key to work, you've got to go to a dealer. A precaution you can take, which I have done in the past, is to unplug your cig lighter on the back side of the dash, use some 12 ga wire to connect it to the red wire in the loom of your ignition switch just below the column, making a crude fail safe. You plug the cig lighter in and you can start it, pull it out and hide it and no-one can start it.
Good idea! How do you modify the lighter so that it isn't trying to heat itself?

I wouldn't allow a smoker in my truck but someone pulling the lighter out would kill the truck, wouldn't it?

Phil

'03 F250 7.3L SC 2WD

Old 08-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Heavy_Metal
Elder User
It's not enough voltage during the short amount of time the engine is cranking to make the lighter heat.

If you pull it while the engine is running it has no effect, you are essentially creating a "switch" between the ignition switch and the starter.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Phrosut
Senior User
It's not enough voltage during the short amount of time the engine is cranking to make the lighter heat.

If you pull it while the engine is running it has no effect, you are essentially creating a "switch" between the ignition switch and the starter.
Thanks, Heavy_Metal... I got it now.

Phil

Old 08-27-2008, 09:26 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster

Always with the great DIY fix
props to you, dude!

Old 08-27-2008, 11:26 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 296 Likes on 156 Posts
Dang, tried to rep you, but got the "have to spread it around more" message

Old 08-27-2008, 11:30 PM
riggz
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You will most likely have to go to a dealer and get a new lock assy and have it rekeyed. I know you say you aren't ready to go the route of jimi jammers, but i'd seriously suggest it. After having more than $10k in stuff ripped off out of my truck one night I went the route of installing the rear door handles up front, removing all lock rods that go to the door handles and installed jimi jammers on all 4 doors.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:35 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by bryyce62
What now? Is this a dealer issue? Would a locksmith be the place to call?
I really don't want to change the locks, I'd really like to have the current one repaired.

Anybody?

gw
Time for a call to the Police to fill out a report...and your insurance. Just as a matter of fact...and proper protocol.

The same happened to me about 18mths ago in my driveway. They didn't just break in...but they actually tried to steal my truck. Luckily for me...the CREEP accidentally pushed the garage door button...and that scared them off. Once the garage door was opening...they must have thought I would be there to meet them with my Remington shotgun...so they bolted.

I took mine to my local dealer...and they replaced the ignition switch (which was busted during the assault) and the two door locks (also busted). Paid my small deductable...and all was happy again.

OBTW: Installed a FORD alarm system with engine demobilizeR and got to keep my same key...as the dealer keyed it to my original key.

I know folks don't think alarms work...but I believe any kind of "noise" is a good thing...when they are trying to steal your truck!

Good luck...

biz

Old 08-27-2008, 11:44 PM
AzBlueWolf
Post Fiend
noise really is the best deterrent...

i happened to be walking out of my apartment one morning and saw a guy take a screwdriver to the top of the window on my neighbors car...

before I could do anything he had twisted the screwdriver and the window shattered...never heard a thing...

I yelled, he ran off, called 911...they never got him, he prolly lived in the apartments next door...damn punks...at least he got nothing from the car.

I moved out soon after...bad neighborhood

Old 08-28-2008, 08:54 AM
loudford
Senior User
Happen to me about a year ago in a Hockey Rink parking lot, I guess that's a good one since they know you'll be in there for at least an hour playing. Anyway they popped the passenger door lock with a screwdriver, not much damage other than the lock. Bought the lock at the dealer and had it keyed with my spare at a locksmith. They got about 2K worth of tools out of the back seat SOB's, learned my lesson and never leave anything back there but in the toolbox instead which is probably a joke since that lock looks like a squirrel could eat through it but they would be exposed trying to get it...

good luck

Old 08-28-2008, 09:02 AM
bryyce62
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the help, guys.
I called a locksmith that works for a couple of the local ford dealers yesterday.
Bottom line...about $250 for a new lock, door handle and to come out to my work site and R & R the whole thing. Two hundred fifty bucks! Just so happens to be the same amount as my comprehensive deductible. Oh, and the kicker, there was nothing stolen from the truck. It was basically empty on the inside.

Heavy Metal,
I really like your suggestion. My cig lighter is non-op right now so I need to look at it anyway.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:59 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by kcantlon

These are a pretty cool solution.
Only fits F150.

A simple solution to the problem is to remove the lock actuator rod from the key cylinder to the door latch. If they punch the lock or try to slip under the handle, there is no lock actuator rod for their tool to move to unlock the truck.

If you want a Super Duty door handle with no lock hole, get a driver side rear door handle off a CrewCab. you might find one the color of your truck at the local salvage yards or eBay.

The top left and top right handles are off the Driver Side.

Last edited by senix; 08-04-2016 at 09:00 PM. Reason: removed link for the spammer (senix)
Old 08-04-2016, 08:49 PM
1tonner
Junior User
Originally Posted by kcantlon
These are a pretty cool solution.
SPAMMER! Great link to your ebay ad for 8 year old thread!

Last edited by senix; 08-04-2016 at 08:59 PM. Reason: removed link for the spammer (senix)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door Lock punched, now what?