Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Any Flex Owners out there??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 09:12 PM
builtfordtough13
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any Flex Owners out there??

I was just wondering if there where any Flex owners out there? Any potential owners. If so how do you like them and post the details.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:30 PM
rangerfan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My mom just bought one. That thing is beautiful!!! I love all the sun roofs in it. I also like that 3.5 that gets 24 mpg's. She got the cinnemon color.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:08 PM
wiingnut
Posting Guru
My wife is considering one when we turn in our Edge. Very nice vehicle, spacious, nice engine, lots of imenities, rides real nice.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:33 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I can't believe people would by the Flex. A FWD vehicle that starts at a hair under $29k. A local dealer has 3 and the cheapest one is over $36k. If it was RWD (4wd would be nice) and had an option for a small V8 like the 3.8l that was in the latest Thunderbird I think it would do better. I don't forsee Ford selling a lot of them, but I've been wrong before. I'm not keen on the Edge either, I hate FWD.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:12 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
I went and test drove one...........What a freaking rip off! $35k or more for a nicely equipped one? Jeez, buy an Expedition EL? The V-6 sucks, of course all I drive is V8's and diesels.... The styling is eye catching and a little retro with the white roof. Still it's not gonna help Ford, like say the Taurus did in the 80's. Lower the price and have the top of the line version no more than $25k and that thing would sell like crazy! In my opinion way to little car for way too much money!!

Old 09-02-2008, 12:24 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Originally Posted by scottman70
I went and test drove one...........What a freaking rip off! $35k or more for a nicely equipped one? Jeez, buy an Expedition EL? The V-6 sucks, of course all I drive is V8's and diesels.... The styling is eye catching and a little retro with the white roof. Still it's not gonna help Ford, like say the Taurus did in the 80's. Lower the price and have the top of the line version no more than $25k and that thing would sell like crazy! In my opinion way to little car for way too much money!!
Exactly.

Can you imagine loading the max people in the Flex and trying to pull out on a wet hill with it. It will transfer weight to the back and just spin the front tires. Even the AWD version won't be good because of its 70/30 power bias.

The Taurus X is a big waste too. They took the non selling sluggish Freestyle and changed the looks a tad and called it a Taurus X. The five hundred was a very nice fairly roomy car it would have sold better if it actually had power and was rwd. Its an old mans car. A small V8 option with some power and RWD and that car would have sold.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:06 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,595 Likes on 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf
Exactly.

Can you imagine loading the max people in the Flex and trying to pull out on a wet hill with it. It will transfer weight to the back and just spin the front tires. Even the AWD version won't be good because of its 70/30 power bias.

The Taurus X is a big waste too. They took the non selling sluggish Freestyle and changed the looks a tad and called it a Taurus X. The five hundred was a very nice fairly roomy car it would have sold better if it actually had power and was rwd. Its an old mans car. A small V8 option with some power and RWD and that car would have sold.
So all those millions of FWD cars & vans going up wet and snowy hills all over he world are just an illusion? I was dreaming when I drove a loaded fwd minivan in wet conditions with NO PROBLEM AT ALL?

And yea, if they can just get it to 12 mpg, it will really sell.

IMO all cars are overpriced and this is no exception. Ahh--a point of agreement!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

We live in a snowy area in the winter with many hills. I see many FWD cars going up hills that rear wheel drive cars cannot. And, many vans go up the hills easily; even our local school district transports students in FWD minivans ------- uphill! Many of the people who fail in FWD cars/vans in winter weather are either inexperienced or poor drivers.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:53 AM
lwong
Senior User
Didn't Ford do a wagon with a V8 and RWD? Wasn't it called "Country Squire"? I'm waiting for the Taurus X with fake wood siding...

Myself, I'm waiting for the ecoboost version of the Flex. This is what I'm looking for to replace my 10-year-old Expy, but I want a little more torque. The T-X doesn't have enough room, otherwise it's a steal compared to the others in its class.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:28 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by lwong
Didn't Ford do a wagon with a V8 and RWD? Wasn't it called "Country Squire"? I'm waiting for the Taurus X with fake wood siding...
I always thought one (a Country Squire) with a 427 and a toploader would be the ultimate sleeper.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:23 AM
the_webers_inc
A mostly quiet Supporter
The parents will most likely be purchasing a Flex in the not to distant future. That is after the EcoBoost engine becomes available.

I see that there seems to be a misconception here that the Flex is only FWD -- AWD is available as well.

I agree that the price is more than enough, but what isn't anymore for the features the Flex has?

In its current form, the Flex is able to pull off MPG's in the low to mid 20's HWY.

The Flex, along with the Taurus and Lincoln MKS will supposedly be among the first vehicles to recieve the ~340HP twin turbo, direct injected 3.5L EcoBoost V6 next year. That should take care of the hunger for V8 power.

I had the opportunity test drive a Limited AWD Flex at the end of July. It is a very Well built/put together vehicle. Very quiet. It's not for everyone, but I think that Ford will sell a fair share of them. The sooner the Flex is offered with an EcoBoost engine, the better the chances more will be sold.

T. J.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:37 AM
the_webers_inc
A mostly quiet Supporter
Originally Posted by dkf
Even the AWD version won't be good because of its 70/30 power bias.
Then I wonder why the Parents Five Hundred AWD gets around so well in the snow. I have never driven a more sure-footed car.

Originally Posted by dkf
The five hundred was a very nice fairly roomy car it would have sold better if it actually had power and was rwd.
I feel the reason the Five Hundred didn't sell better was due to the lack/mismanagement of advertising. The Five Hundred is not big on power, but once you learn how to properly manipulate the CVT, it is suprising just how much power it does have.

Originally Posted by dkf
A small V8 option with some power and RWD and that car would have sold.
That would be a Crown Vic/Grand Marquis.

Just my $0.02

T. J.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:09 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Originally Posted by the_webers_inc
Then I wonder why the Parents Five Hundred AWD gets around so well in the snow. I have never driven a more sure-footed car.

I feel the reason the Five Hundred didn't sell better was due to the lack/mismanagement of advertising. The Five Hundred is not big on power, but once you learn how to properly manipulate the CVT, it is suprising just how much power it does have.

That would be a Crown Vic/Grand Marquis.

Just my $0.02

T. J.
I was talking about the Flex in that quote, not the 500, read the post again. It would have made more sense to me to use the Explorer chassis for the Flex and have a frame under it.

The 500 was underpowered compared to other vehicles in its class and the AWD has a lot of drivetrain loss. Thats more than likely why tirespin is minimized in snow.
I saw quite a bit of magazine, TV, newspaper and radio advertisements on both the 500 and freestyle. I think Ford did good on the advertising end.

So a Crown Vic is a midsize? I think not. The Mustang isn't available in a 4 door.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:12 AM
the_webers_inc
A mostly quiet Supporter
Originally Posted by dkf
I was talking about the Flex in that quote, not the 500, read the post again. It would have made more sense to me to use the Explorer chassis for the Flex and have a frame under it.
I realize that you were referring to the Flex. The reason I drew the parallel to the Five Hundred, is they share the same platform. The Flex is just a restyled, stretched Free Style/Taurus X. Unfortunately the days of Body on Frame cars are coming to an end. Even the next version of the explorer will be a uni-body crossover.

Originally Posted by dkf
The 500 was underpowered compared to other vehicles in its class and the AWD has a lot of drivetrain loss. Thats more than likely why tirespin is minimized in snow.
That is very logical reasoning, based on published information. Have you ever driven an AWD Five Hundred/Free Style? My opinions are based on actually having driven said vehicle.

Originally Posted by dkf
I saw quite a bit of magazine, TV, newspaper and radio advertisements on both the 500 and freestyle. I think Ford did good on the advertising end.
But yet is is amazing how many people don't even know what a Five Hundred/FreeStyle is or that they even exists/existed.

Originally Posted by dkf
So a Crown Vic is a midsize? I think not. The Mustang isn't available in a 4 door.
Yes the Crown Vic is a full size sedan, but the Five Hundred is also referred to as a full size sedan.

T. J.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:49 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Thats your opinion on the 500/Freestyle, but compared to its competitors its underpowered. Ford has added more power with the Taurus line which was a good move. The compact and midsize car market is very competitive. Neither the 500 nor freestyle are full size at least in my eyes even though they may advertise it as one. Compare the 500 to a Crown Vic in the size deptment and the 500 will come up short. The Taurus has always been a midsize car, now Ford wants market it as a full size since dropping the crown vic. The Freestyle/500 had a somewhat short production and they didn't sell well then add to the fact the vast array of competition out there and its understandable why people dismiss the two. Auto companies love unibodys and FWD, no doubt for the ease of assembly and cost, sorry I'm not a fan of either.

Quick Reply: Any Flex Owners out there??