Sponsored by:

Get me out!, and IM STUCK!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 12:33 AM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Truckin4life
Yes heavy duty bumpers are in order, and will come eventually... But sas is first on the list... Thats actually the only thing offically on the list, that and i think im switchin to a carb set up... Not sure though. Eventually i will get a winch, but for now ill do with out.
While winches are not for everyone, they are VERY use full. They have there places in the offroad world, and in all honestly. If you can afford it, do it, you wont regret it, unless it gets jacked. That would bring epic gayness!
I may be interested in your EFI stuff if you ever switch over to carb. Keep me in mind..

Old 08-26-2008, 06:25 AM
rbloodhound
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Well one thing that I have done is wire winch controlls on the inside of the cab. Also I carry a 50' braided sling that is rated @ #50,000. I have also used a highlift jack to jack the truck up and shove it off the jack to get out of ruts. (BFG shovels) As stated before a come-a-long will also get you out.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:03 AM
IcemanV8
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About 4 days ago, I was out at the lake. I have been down there many time, and I didn't go to go mudding. I was looking for a place to let our boat out. I just have some all terrain 31x10.50 15" tires. Nothing special at all. Never given me problems before, and do great on a snowy road, but definitely not a mud tire. Well, I'm riding down near the lake, and it doesn't look muddy. Mind you, I've been down this trail before. There are no trees around for 100 yards, either, because the lake usually comes up 100 yards (it's controlled by TVA dam). I'm just going in 2WD, checking out a good spot to let our inflatable boat out (don't laugh! Has a trolling motor :P) That's about when I get stuck. Everytime I give it a little gas, it starts sliding on the slight incline towards the lake. I have about 10 feet before I'm going to be in the lake. I get out, lock the hubs in, and try again in 4x4. Now I can go forward, but still... sliding towards the lake. My fiancee is freaking out.

I didn't have enough room to play and see if gunning it would have done better, and I was already losing hope. I get out, slide all the equipment (inflatable boat, trolling motor, marine battery) all to the back of the bed on the side of the lake. I get her to stand on the bumper. Thank freakin' god that barely got us out of there. My tires were caked with mud, btw. I was already thinking of a friend to call that has an F-150 (bodystyle after mine) to come get me out, but we made it. That mud was almost like ice. Looks can be deceiving.

What could I have done without another truck or any trees? Later on, I thought about letting some air pressure out of my tires, but that was a few hours after we made it out. We came about 2 feet within touching the lake water, lol. It was on my mind for awhile. It wasn't scary, I just dread getting stuck.

But, give me some ideas on what I could have tried, or what would have been better. Again, I had NO ROOM to play with ideas. I only tried easy acceleration, enough to just go and not spin the tires. Would going WOT have been a better idea? Anytime I gave it gas, I went forward, but slid towards the lake. It was a bad feeling, lol.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:37 AM
captain p4
Post Fiend
1 tons and 44's will solve that problem!!

letting some air out may have worked, but with those tires there isn't much you can do. Maybe tire chains???

Old 08-26-2008, 12:18 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Post#18:

Wheel speed is critical when driving in the mud. By driving slow, you actually created a bigger problem. Even guys with real mud tires can find a situation where the tire will cake up with sticky mud, if the tire cant be turned fast enough to clean them.
Now a real aggressive tire has very good self cleaning properties, but if the tire is permitted to cake up, it will be as effective as a drag slick.
Zero control means no progress, and zero steering.
In this case, more wheel speed should have displaced some of the mud that was causing the problem. A clean tire surface is better than a smooth caked up surface anytime.
I believe that a little more gas would have helped.
Wheel speed and momentum will be very helpfull.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Truckin4life
Street Queen to the extr3m3
Everybody is deathly affraid gettin there truck into some water.

Does the lake drop off 6 feet instantly? Not likely.

Yea you may be sliding to the lake, but that could be a good thing, maybe there are some rocks you can get tracion on.

When in doubt throttle out, thats my rule. If you get stuck well atleast you tried...
If you get stuck in the water... Well atleast you get to lay in the water, instead of the mud. Water dries off, mud dries off but then you got big dirt chunks on you....

SO if it was me... WOT would have been the ticket out.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:27 PM
IcemanV8
Senior User
Yeah, I walked into it just idling along and in 2WD, so I wasn't prepared. But I honestly didn't think it was going to be as slick and muddy as it was. Been down there quite a few times. It's usually underwater, but between the drought and the dam, the water went down and I got into some slick ****.

I know to keep my speed up if I'm already in 4x4, but I was unprepared. Again, I was just creeping in 2nd in 2x4, and got stuck. So, I was looking for advice for getting out when you are already screwed, lol. It wouldn't have been a problem to try and just romp it out of there if I had a buddy there with a truck, but I was solo. Thanks for replies!

Old 08-26-2008, 03:44 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe that you already have answered your own question. You mentioned that you underestimated the terrain, and almost got in trouble.
If I am alone (almost never happens), the front hubs are already locked. I lock them in to prevent this type of situation.. Then I have learned to feel what the truck is experienceing. I have gotten pretty good at feeling the terrain, and understanding whether or not I might have a problem. I also usually air down if I know that I am gonna be off raod. Lower tire pressures are killer for traction.
All of this you already know, and in your situation, i probably would have aired down, locked in, and hammered down to get back to a safe area.
You made it out, so you made the right decision.
Many variables could have made things different, but when I am stuck with street pressures (again, almost never happens) I would have aired down.
I have been in this situation before the Super Duty was wearing decent tires, and it always comes back to being prepared for the worst, and expecting the worst when I least expect it.
(Insert embarassing story about failed ESOF locking hubs here, lol):

Old 08-26-2008, 03:45 PM
rbloodhound
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Lots of skinny pedal.

It sounds like maybe you were on a slope.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Truckin4life
stop get out, lock hubs, lots of skinny pedal.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:56 PM
IcemanV8
Senior User
Thanks, I'll give it some more ***** next time. I was on a slope.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:40 PM
unrulee
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Flatdeck
Btw, here's another winch tip. Mount the solenoid pack under the hood. This way, the vandals can't run your winch cable over top of your truck, attach your winch hook to your back bumper, and stuff a paperclip into the winch remote jack pins.
WOW!!! that paints an ugly picture!!!

Old 08-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Matt983
Senior User
Originally Posted by unrulee
Originally Posted by Flatdeck
Originally Posted by Flatdeck View Post
Btw, here's another winch tip. Mount the solenoid pack under the hood. This way, the vandals can't run your winch cable over top of your truck, attach your winch hook to your back bumper, and stuff a paperclip into the winch remote jack pins.
WOW!!! that paints an ugly picture !!!

I was thinking the same thing..

Been lurking around here a bit, this is my first post in the off-road forum.

-Matt

Old 08-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Truckin4life
WELCOME!!!!

I do agree.... Not pretty. Things like that is why when people are messin with my stuff... Its shoot first as questions later.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:07 PM
DesertStorm
Elder User
Originally Posted by IcemanV8
About 4 days ago, I was out at the lake. I have been down there many time, and I didn't go to go mudding. I was looking for a place to let our boat out. I just have some all terrain 31x10.50 15" tires. Nothing special at all. Never given me problems before, and do great on a snowy road, but definitely not a mud tire. Well, I'm riding down near the lake, and it doesn't look muddy. Mind you, I've been down this trail before. There are no trees around for 100 yards, either, because the lake usually comes up 100 yards (it's controlled by TVA dam). I'm just going in 2WD, checking out a good spot to let our inflatable boat out (don't laugh! Has a trolling motor :P) That's about when I get stuck. Everytime I give it a little gas, it starts sliding on the slight incline towards the lake. I have about 10 feet before I'm going to be in the lake. I get out, lock the hubs in, and try again in 4x4. Now I can go forward, but still... sliding towards the lake. My fiancee is freaking out.

I didn't have enough room to play and see if gunning it would have done better, and I was already losing hope. I get out, slide all the equipment (inflatable boat, trolling motor, marine battery) all to the back of the bed on the side of the lake. I get her to stand on the bumper. Thank freakin' god that barely got us out of there. My tires were caked with mud, btw. I was already thinking of a friend to call that has an F-150 (bodystyle after mine) to come get me out, but we made it. That mud was almost like ice. Looks can be deceiving.

What could I have done without another truck or any trees? Later on, I thought about letting some air pressure out of my tires, but that was a few hours after we made it out. We came about 2 feet within touching the lake water, lol. It was on my mind for awhile. It wasn't scary, I just dread getting stuck.

But, give me some ideas on what I could have tried, or what would have been better. Again, I had NO ROOM to play with ideas. I only tried easy acceleration, enough to just go and not spin the tires. Would going WOT have been a better idea? Anytime I gave it gas, I went forward, but slid towards the lake. It was a bad feeling, lol.

The proper prescription for this situation is a nice set of Boggers and a lincoln locker.

Quick Reply: Get me out!, and IM STUCK!