Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

I was thinking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 08:58 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking.

Why doesn't Ford introduce Diesels for the cars / small pickups? For the rest of the lineup, whatever doesn't get the diesel for whatever reason, why not introduce a turbo? Seems to me this would answer the on going problem of too much fuel usage for too little power.
I know diesel is more expensive, but typically diesel motors pack a punch in a little package, and in the right set up can get very good fuel mileage. Would the increased fuel mileage out weigh the extra cost for diesel?
As far as turbo's go; I've heard they aren't the most reliable things in the world. Why is this? I would think Ford could build a solid turbo. it doesn't have to be very special or anything, but let's take the 3.0L V6 for example; it's a solid little motor, but slap on a turbo. Increase mileage and power. What more could you ask for?

Just some thoughts of mine. I wanted to see what you all thought. I just woke up and haven't had a cup of coffee yet, so if this sounds crazy, blame my still sleeping brain.

Ps. I want to see a turbo diesel in the Ford Rager. Make 250 HP, 300 ft lbs, and get 35 MPG. Yessir, sign me up.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:30 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
because the EPA ***** will not let small diesel powered vehicles roam freely in the USA

Old 08-24-2008, 05:46 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tjc transport
because the EPA ***** will not let small diesel powered vehicles roam freely in the USA

Why?

EPA. I really don't like them.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:06 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well two things.

A) is the EPA thing, but with a little hard work it could be done.

B) IMO Ford is a status quo company and they won't try anything radical or even moderate.

Mike

Old 08-25-2008, 10:08 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
We would be covered up with diesels today if it was not for GM. Diesels were making great headway in the late 70s and early 80s during the first gas crisis until GM released their version of the diesel engine. The converted gas 350 was sold in almost everything GM made from midsize through luxury. They got out in the marketplace and started breaking very frequently, wouldn't start when cold and were very very expensive to repair. It scared people away from anything diesel, especially when you could not sell one and almost had to give them away. It killed the market for very good diesel engines from Mercedes, Volvo, VW and others. Once the market was killed, we went several years with no diesel engine offered in cars in the entire country.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:38 AM
Krochus
Elder User
Given the same size engine a turbocharged engine will almost always get worse MPG than a N/A powerplant. For a couple of reasons.

More air forced into the engine requires more fuel.

And since their invention there hasn't been a driver born who couldn't keep their foot out of the boost

Turbocharged gassers tend to not be as reliable because most of these engines are smaller lighter designs that are being tricked into doing more work than originally intended through the usage of the turbo

The Turbo Coupes from the 80's are a great example of this

Old 08-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That is true for gasoline engines, but not for diesels. Take a look in the IDI forum, almost everyone who put a turbo kit saw gains in mileage and power. With a diesel, the more air you can shove into the engine the better. The more air you force in, the more efficient the diesel will burn.

I've read that at idle, diesels may run as lean as 60:1 AFR, maybe even more

Old 08-26-2008, 03:57 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Diesels and gassers are completely different beasts indeed. I wouldn't buy a diesel unless it had a turbo.

The EPA ruined diesels for now IMO. Reduced emmissions and mpg.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:34 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
Less fuel consumption means less fuel tax for the gov.

So there is a gov incentive to keep a lid on diesels using the EPA as their tool.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:33 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bf250
Less fuel consumption means less fuel tax for the gov.

So there is a gov incentive to keep a lid on diesels using the EPA as their tool.
Same with ethanol. The more the ethanol in gasoline the more mpg goes down. I want my straight gas back, hold the ethanol.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:24 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
The problems I see with diesels right now are:

1) they cost more up front
2) they cost more to maintain
3) they can be very sensitive when it's really cold out
4) I simply don't like the way the drive ( aka very laggy)

Old 08-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 92f150I6
The problems I see with diesels right now are:

1) they cost more up front
2) they cost more to maintain
3) they can be very sensitive when it's really cold out
4) I simply don't like the way the drive ( aka very laggy)
1. Right there.
2. Truck engines sure, smaller engines, no.
3. Not current common rail engines with a properly functioning glowplug/intake grid system. New diesels start up just like gassers in the cold.
4. Turbo lag was only a problem on old fixed geometry turbo chargers on truck engines. Smaller diesels (even big ones now) with VGT turbos or even multiple turbos have almost no lag at all.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:04 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
I'll agree with you on everything but #4. I've driven a lot of VGT diesels and turbo lag is still alive and well.

Mike

Old 08-28-2008, 06:09 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Lead Head
1. Right there.
2. Truck engines sure, smaller engines, no.
3. Not current common rail engines with a properly functioning glowplug/intake grid system. New diesels start up just like gassers in the cold.
4. Turbo lag was only a problem on old fixed geometry turbo chargers on truck engines. Smaller diesels (even big ones now) with VGT turbos or even multiple turbos have almost no lag at all.

Only think I have experienced were 7.3 PS, 7.3 IDI,, 6.0 PS diesels having major issues trying to start in cold weather. My uncles cummins starts every time, but you better warm it up before you drive it.

The only diesels I have driven that were not laggy were the NA IDI 7.3 and the GM 6.5 turbo diesel. The GM diesel was the only one which I actually liked as it drove just like a gasser. heck even the Vw TDI felt like a turd to me, which is why I have a 2.0 gasser.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:23 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
some days i have lag, some days it snaps my head back, just depends how its feeling, but i'd never drive anything else now as long as i have a choice in the matter, diesel all the way