1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

tranny return line?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 07:26 AM
tndiesel
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tranny return line?

Is the tranny return line the one that goes into the back of the tranny? That is the one I need to hook up to when doing a tranny flush without dropping the pan, right?

Old 08-23-2008, 08:06 AM
BlueMule
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the rear is the return.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:55 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

yes the rear line but for what it worth I don't think that is an effective way to service the trans. I drop the pan, put a drain plug kit in the pan, change the filter, reinstall the pan then remove the inspection cover for the TC and they normally have a drain plug as well. Drain the TC, reinstall everything and refill.

Putting a drain plug in the pan makes the whole deal a no brainer. I just don't feel flushing with the cooler lines really does as good of job getting all the fluid out with out using ALOT more oil.Also you don't get a chance to inspect for parts and pieces in the pan.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:48 AM
tndiesel
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just discovered a tiny amount of oil that on the back of the oil pan. I assume this is not an easy fix? Also, I also discovered that I have the return tranny line hooked up to the top of the tranny cooler instead of the bottom. Does that really matter because of gravity issues? Lastly, on the tranny return line where it goes into the tranny it has a small nut and a big one. Which one do I loosen to get it out and do the flush?

Thanks!

Old 08-23-2008, 11:01 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

If you plan to flush the system with the truck running the cooler outlet won't matter. One the line you will need to go after the smaller nut. The other is just the fitting in the side of the trans