1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling ESOF Experts

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 10:46 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling ESOF Experts

Hey guys! So I am pulling my hair out trying to get my ESOF system to work properly on my truck, basically it all works fine except for the 4wd Low. Ive changed just about everything just for the piece of mind, Ive changed the vacumn pump, vacumn actuater and the tranfer case shift motor. Dont think theres any vacumn leaks since regular 4WD works fine. My 4low still takes forever or sometimes I cant even get it in, I know the correct process for putting it in, and Ive tried every other way possible. Its gotta be in the transfer case Im assuming since its only 4low thats not working right. I also changed my tranfer case fluid today to see if that would help......nope. Anyone have any ideas before I go looking for a new tranfer case??? Anything is greatly appreciated, Thanks

Old 08-19-2008, 10:53 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
What surface are you trying to engage it on? How long are you in 4x4HI before you try to get into 4LOW?

How much tread difference is there between the front and back tires?

Reason I'm asking is, the bind-up between front and back, as in, if the tires are too different in diameter, you'll get bind-up in the transfer case, and then trying to get into LOW is a big pain.

Try this. On nice soft dirt, moving VERY slowly forward, go into 4HI. Make sure it's really in 4HI, slam the go-pedal and make sure it's actually in 4x4.

Then, stop. Put it in reverse. Back up about 5 feet or so, slam the go-pedal again, and stop. Roll forward a few feet, stop, with foot on brake, put tranny in neutral, and then turn the switch to 4LOW.

Should go right in.

It COULD be a bad connection somewhere, like a bad relay contact, making too much resistance, and the extra effort required to get into LOW is too much for the servo.

When you try to get into 4LOW, according to my instructions above, and if it doesn't go in, do you hear the servo trying to go in? Or is it not even trying?

Old 08-20-2008, 08:53 AM
a-rod
Posting Guru
I always do it on level ground and my tires are good, Ive tried the rolling technique like you mentioned and sometimes it will work, other times not, maybe I do have a bad connection somewhere because I noticed one time I was shifting the **** and couldnt hear the motor running, do you know where the relay for the shift motor is?? Thanks for the help so far.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:21 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
I believe the relays are in the junction box under the hood near the master cylinder. Not sure which ones are which.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Zedrive
Senior User
Is this the process you've been trying?

Shifts to 4x high at any speed.
Shifting in and out of low range; vehicle below 3mph, Brake Applied, Trans in neutral.

Good luck

Old 08-20-2008, 06:15 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Well it was wierd today, with the truck turned off, in nuetral I was able to shift in and out of 4low over and over again, I probly did it 10 times and it worked perfectly, then I started the truck and pulled forward a bit, wouldnt work, so I went back and forth a few times and eventually got it back in, maybe I just need to keep messing with it... I dunno.