Notices

Wax Brands

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 02:42 AM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Wax Brands

I have used Meguiar`s Show Car Glaze and Hi-Tech Yellow Wax combo on my daily driver and loved the depth of shine it gave the 30 year old paint. I tried the Eagle One Nano Wax and its better than the Meguiars cause it was cheaper and just simply spray on and wipe off then alittle buff, but the Nano Wax just doesnt give the shine as the Meguiars.

I would probably use Meguiars but seeing as I have one vehicle currently undergoing restoration (body work and paint prep now) and a second vehicle awaiting restoration (frame off). I have been looking through my California Car Cover Co. catalog and have came across the Zymol waxes. I have done a searches on here for Zymol and just for waxes in general and everything before making this post so I wouldnt ask questions that have been asked before.

The car that will be restored completly with in the year has a saddle tan body color and I am assuming that if I used the Zymol brand wax I would go with the Creame wax for light colored vehicles. I dont mind the $50 price tag if the wax is good.

Has anyone used the Creame wax before with good results?

Does the Banana and Coconut oils really enhance or give the vehicle a wet look?

I have read in some of the other posts that the order is (Wash/Clay/Polish/Wax) would the Zymol Creame Wax cover the Polish and Wax sections? I checked on Zymol`s website and wasnt that easy to navigate but I havent found a Zymol brand polish.

The last few questions covers Zymol other products.

Is the Zymol Auto Bathe worth the cost? Does it protect paint better than say plain car wash soap you pick up from the auto part store?

What about the HD Cleanse Pre-Waz Cleaner has anyone used this and if so is it worth it?

The only other question I have is about the Tire Protectant, Klay Lube, Klay Bar, Seal and the Field Glaze. Are they good products or would they give the same results of a cheaper product?

This might be a stupid question but since the wax I am eyeing is a cream wax could it be applied with a buffer or would it be best to just use the wax applicator that comes with the can of wax and just use the buffer to remove the wax or polish the finish out afterwards?

I appoligize for asking all this about Zymol but I tend to use all the same brand when it comes to stuff. Like with Meguiars their waxes and clay bar and such is all formulated to work together and its just easier than mixing brands and praying for no bad reactions.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:44 AM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't used the Zymol brand, but it's supposed to be good stuff. The depth and wet shine come from the polishing. I wouldn't suspect a one step wax to do as good a polishing job as a multi-step. I use a three phase wax, while it's time consuming, I haven't seen anything better other than the 5+ steps of Zaino's.

For what your possibly talking about doing, soap isn't all that important. Strip the old wax, grease and trash from the paint, and the clay bar will help do this too. Then polish it up, seal and glaze it, and put a nice coating of wax over it.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the instant dealer you use with the clay bar, or even who's clay bar you use. Same goes with the tire protectant, pick one that looks good and doesn't dry your tires, but doesn't spray on your paint. I love the look of one tire shine I used to use, it made the tires look completely wet. However if you drove faster than 3mph it sprayed all over the paint. I've settled for less gloss, but better soak in. After all, what you need in a tire shine is UV protection, and not to collect dust too badly. 303 is perfect, but not very shiny.

I am just not sure I am ready to buy into eatable waxes and will stick with Mothers for now.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:12 AM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ReAX
I haven't used the Zymol brand, but it's supposed to be good stuff. The depth and wet shine come from the polishing. I wouldn't suspect a one step wax to do as good a polishing job as a multi-step. I use a three phase wax, while it's time consuming, I haven't seen anything better other than the 5+ steps of Zaino's.

For what your possibly talking about doing, soap isn't all that important. Strip the old wax, grease and trash from the paint, and the clay bar will help do this too. Then polish it up, seal and glaze it, and put a nice coating of wax over it.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the instant dealer you use with the clay bar, or even who's clay bar you use. Same goes with the tire protectant, pick one that looks good and doesn't dry your tires, but doesn't spray on your paint. I love the look of one tire shine I used to use, it made the tires look completely wet. However if you drove faster than 3mph it sprayed all over the paint. I've settled for less gloss, but better soak in. After all, what you need in a tire shine is UV protection, and not to collect dust too badly. 303 is perfect, but not very shiny.

I am just not sure I am ready to buy into eatable waxes and will stick with Mothers for now.

The tire protectant i use is some dollar store european brand that works good, spray it on let it sit wipe it off then use a dry towel and buff its not sticky and doesnt collect dirt like the armorall ive used.

As far as the wax goes thats the thing everything I see says Wax. The Show Car Glaze does say Polish but thats the thing I dont want to take the risk of mixing the Meguiars Show Car Glaze and then using the Zymol wax. The reasion why I was looking at it is cause its formulated for dark or light colored vehicles and it just sounds like it might be better but I dont really want to get it and its a waste of money. I know Meguiars is good but the cost of those two steps I could get the Zymol for light colored vehicles. It says it enhances the wet look which I take to mean it will make the paint mirror like and appear wet. If thats the case then that wax might be better suited to me.

I do agree that the multi step waxes are good but like with the meguiars I had to wax the car every month to keep the same results and doing two steps all by hand applying and buffing out it got very old. That is the reasion for asking about the Zymol brand.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:39 AM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I know what you mean, I use mother's three phase about every other month. Which is down from the weekly I did years ago.

A wax shouldn't care what color is under it, it should buff clear. Where some (like Zainos really shine (pardon the pun)) is on black or very dark colors that show minute scratches very easily. On lighter colors, it shouldn't matter. As long as you use a glaze or polish I think you will be happy with the results. However, that is still two coats, you need to wax over the glaze. I don't think you will be as happy with a cleaner wax, it's just not the same finish.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:58 AM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
I know what you mean, I use mother's three phase about every other month. Which is down from the weekly I did years ago.

A wax shouldn't care what color is under it, it should buff clear. Where some (like Zainos really shine (pardon the pun)) is on black or very dark colors that show minute scratches very easily. On lighter colors, it shouldn't matter. As long as you use a glaze or polish I think you will be happy with the results. However, that is still two coats, you need to wax over the glaze. I don't think you will be as happy with a cleaner wax, it's just not the same finish.

The Zymol I was looking at in my catalog says this.

" Creame Wax : For light-colored cars, contains 33% Brazilian Number One Yellow Carnauba by volume combined with pure banana and coconut oils to enhance that "wet look" "

The other wax for darker colored cars has 37% carnauba and it says was cooked longer for a higher level of UV protection for deeply pigmented paints.

I see they got a Concours Glaze which I am assuming is like the Meguiars is a polish but im not going to pay no $175 for 8 oz. But there shouldnt be a problem if I use the Meguiars Show car glaze which says its a polish on the vehicle and then come back with the Zymol Creame wax that I stated above should it?

I guess what I could do is just use the Meguiars Mirror Glaze steps and use the show car glaze and the hi tech yellow wax combo that I know provides good results. The catalog has a cordless orbit polisher that has a built in reservoir that squirts your wax on the vehicle. Would make things easier but would need two of them so I dont mix the polish and wax together. But I just need to find out because I am not sure if I am going to use the same enamel paint on the 56 Fairlane that I am using on my daily or not. If I do then I would need something to improve the shine cause enamel paint doesnt shine as well as laquor or even clear coat, my 30 year old clear coat on my daily driver has a mirror gloss shine that reflective of images far away and the enamel which might be caused by the rattlecan option i opted for for a small repair and its not as reflective.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:07 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I don't know much about enamel paints, but as long as you buff off any previous coats, the next shouldn't have any effect. Polishes should wipe off clean, perhaps a glaze would leave a little material behind, but I can't think it would cause you problems.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
I don't know much about enamel paints, but as long as you buff off any previous coats, the next shouldn't have any effect. Polishes should wipe off clean, perhaps a glaze would leave a little material behind, but I can't think it would cause you problems.

Thats what im not sure about either the enamel seems to have a great gloss when applied with my hvlp spray gun but I dont know wtf happened the paint is all splitting and cracking and I dont see how I could have put too much paint on i put enough to fully cover and hide the grey sealer that I was told to use. I did find Acrylic Lacquor I could get but thats a GM thing ford didnt use acrylic one step lacquer from what I remembered.

As far as the wax goes thats another thing im not sure not sure if mixing two different brands would cause a reaction that would dull the paint or not, family member used some kind of wax when they had their car clearcoated again in the 70`s and it just dulled the paint and made it look like it was flat paint.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:37 AM
rplatt56
Senior User
I just started using Meguires NXT...... what a difference over the othersw ive used. Does have a deep wet look to it all the time