1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DOT Requirements

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
DOT Requirements

My dad got pulled over by the DOT cop the other day. They told him that he has to get his truck certified because that the truck and his cargo trailer is over 10,000 pounds. He lives in Michigan but drives into Indiana a lot. He was told he has to get a chaffer license, medical physical, fire extinguisher, triangle reflector's, and to get his truck and trailer inspected. Does this sound right? I was also wondering does that mean he has to keep a driving log too. He doesn't drive more then 100 miles a day. I am wondering about this because he was not expecting this and I am going to be moving up there by him and will be pulling my 16 ft. trailer also. So I am trying to help him and get in order what I am going to have to do. Any help would be great.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:15 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
Whoa, that's a big sig pic.

They really need to consolidate this crap from state to state. There are far too many differences between states, and they thrive on being pains about it. Sorry I don't have any details, but it is probably accurate info. The towing section down on the main page or rv.net might be able to help as well.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

I know it's a big pic. I have tried to make it smaller but can't seem to. I guess I will just take it off.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If he's hauling for hire (i.e. he's being paid for the haul) then he's probably gotta go through all that. Crossing state lines brings in a whole raft of issues that most folks have no clue about, especially in the weight range our trucks can haul.

Basic rule: If you're hauling for hire, you need a CDL, a logbook, commercial registration/insurance, DOT-inspection, and a medical certification. That's FEDERAL law. There are certain, limited situations where this is not the case, but they are far outnumbered by situations where you do need all this.

As for logs, you don't need them *IF* you stay within 100 air miles of your "home terminal." Payroll records (or similar) should suffice. But *IF* you do drive outside that (even only once) you need logs for that day, *AND* the preceding 7 days. So from a practical standpoint, it's easier to keep logs for every day. In either case, you are required to follow the Hours of Service regulations -- 14-on, 10-off. At most, 11 of that 14 can be driving. 70 hours in 8 days.

If not, then it's a "maybe". But you'll have to prove that you're not hauling for hire. And it'll be an uphill battle.

-blaine

Old 08-19-2008, 05:00 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here in NC we have different plates for such reason. A truck like ours used for business will have a COMMERCIAL tag with a specific GVWR. Then there is the tag like I have on my truck which is WEIGHTED, and available in different GVWR's like mine is a 15,000# GVWR tag.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

He is not "hauling for hire". All he hauls is his tools.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:36 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Is he hauling the tools for business use or personal use? If he is using the truck and trailer for any type of commercial business he will need all this in michigan and probably alot of other places.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:11 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if he's making any kinda profit with a trailer over 10k and crossing state lines, he needs a DOT number...

Old 08-19-2008, 10:59 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Subscribed

I think these guys are telling you exactly how it is.

If he's hauling tools to do jobs, he's commercial, even if he doesn't have commercial plates.

We had a guy run through Pennsylvania (I think) with a horse trailer who got nailed for something like $3K in tickets. Because he was showing horses, and possibly making money off of it (if I recall correctly), he was stuck. It wasn't an RV/travel-trailer.

I think only RV's are excluded from needing a CDL because it's really truly personal.

If he was putting his tools into a pop-up camper, he'd be OK

Old 08-20-2008, 10:09 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Here in Pennsylvania as long as the trailer is registered under 10k you will be alright. I got pulled over in Mongomeryville(near philly) by a cop who asked for my trailer resistration, saw that it was regisrered under 10k, then let me go. My trailer is full of tools and ladders on the top. Just don't overload the trailer or the truck, around here it is $1 per pound you are overweight. It might be worthwhile to re-register the trailer under 10k, if you don't need all that capacity.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:41 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
In N.C. they go by the GVWR of the trailer. We pay a flat fee for trailers and the weight of trailer and cargo are carried by the registration of the truck. I have one gooseneck trailer rated for 15,000# GVWR and two that are 24,000 GVWR. The officers always look at the data tag on the trailer. I do have a class A CDL, but the situation might get hairy if I was a private individual with no class A or B in other states. Some states issue non commercial A or B license and some do not. I have seen a Non commercial class A with a restriction "No Tractor Trailers" It would be nice if the states would work a little more together on this, as there has always been confusion between the states.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:22 AM
utwo229
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw this discussion today and decided to repost one I left back in 2007 that is applicable.
The messages here just scratch the surface as it applies to truck registration and driver licensing. First of all, each state can be different. But at the federal level, it reads like this.

For our purposes, they define (partial text) a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) is any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle: (1) has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or gross combination weight rating (GCWR)—or a gross vehicle weight (GVW) or gross combination weight (GCW)—of 4,536 kilograms (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater.

Now I am sure you, like I, was confused by the term “interstate commerce.” It is further defined; Interstate commerce is trade, traffic or transportation across a State line, including international boundaries, or wholly within one State as part of a through movement that originates or terminates in another State or country.

So for the most part, if you tow a heavy trailer (RV's are exempt from all this mess) other than an RV, and you legally register your truck, you are probably a CMV. Some states allow you to register based on stated weight (max you intend to weigh) and others require you to register the vehicles rated maximum GVW or GCW.

I drive the interstates all the time and I know that almost all weigh stations require any truck (ie.. CMV) over 5T or 10001 lbs, to go over the scales. However, I have NEVER gone over the scales towing with my Ford. But I always go over the scales with my big truck which is just under 26000 lbs. I know a few people in states like Pennsylvania (discussed elsewhere in the forum) who are getting stopped and ticked for not being properly registered, not crossing the scales, and not having the proper drivers privileges.

As for your driver's license... unless your rig and trailer combined weigh over 26001 lbs, then you don't need a commercial drivers license (CDL).

But, if you do fall into the over 10,001 lb category, technically you are supposed to:
a) register your motor powered vehicle with the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), then display on that vehicle the assigned USDOT number and the legal name (as registered) – rule FMCSA 390.21, form MCS-150,
b) you are required to be at least 21 years of age, read/speak English, possess a current medical examiners certificate – rule FMCSA 391.11, 391.43,
c) abide by the Hours of Service regulations and logbook requirements as appropriate – rule FMCSA 395. (There are exceptions to this rule...so look it up).

It took me a lot of research to figure this all out and I find new things all the time. Just be prepared to be surprised when you try to register one of the new 2008 super duty trucks that tow heavy. But be sure to keep your registration under 26,001 lbs or all this gets three times as complicated and can be very expensive.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:30 PM
gwcon
Posting Guru
In Florida you are required to have a class A CDL license if your commercial vehicle combination has a GVWR over the amount allotted on a regular license which I believe is around 26,000lbs as someone stated above. I was stopped by DOT while hauling my gooseneck trailer with my backhoe aboard and informed of all this. However, I was told I did not need it to tow my 16FT 10K GVWR enclosed trailers.

MY FORD COLLECTION:

08 F350 Dually
06 F350 Dually
05 F350 shortbed
07 Expedition

Old 08-22-2008, 01:57 AM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
The 26,000lb limit i believe is pretty universal. A bout the only thing.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:20 AM
utwo229
Freshman User
Yes, federal law says you need a Class A CDL to drive anything (except an RV) with a GVWR or GCWR of 26,001 lbs or more. And in fact, if you cross state lines, you will also need to have apportioned plates with a registration endorsement for every state you intend pass through. And on top of that, you have to pay fuel tax through the IFTA sticker fuel tax program. However, If you don't have apportioned registration and/or have IFTA, then you can get trip permits (need both registration and fuel) BEFORE you drive in the other state(s). And if it weren't enough, you are required to file Federal highway usage tax (if I remember correctly it is due mid-year).

Quick Reply: DOT Requirements