1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Okay Where do I start

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 11:58 AM
fyrtrks
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay Where do I start

Good afternoon gentlemen (and ladies if there are any)

I have the big parts the 53 and just yesterday I got a 351W HO with a C6. I am looking for advice being a absoulte novice where do I start?

I really can't do much in the fabrication department I will have to leave that to the body man when it goes to paint.

I can't chop the top I am a freakish 6'6".

This is what I was thinking.

1 I am going to use the 351 and C6 as is just new fluids and other easy replace ables and maybe a shift kit in the trans.

2 I want to drop the truck some and put sway bars on it. I am scared of mono leaf's so I will most likely stay away from them.

3 fuel tank to the rear.

Will the stock frame handle the 351W HO with oiut boxing?

Same with the rear end, or should I change the gear ratio if I do where will I get the parts for it?

That's enough for now.

Thanks I'm excited like a 3 grader at Christmas!

Old 08-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Cyruscosmo
Senior User
Welcome to the forums FyrTrk

I think the engine trans combo you have is a good start. I would ask if the truck already has the mounts for that engine? If not then a good place to start is getting the engine in the frame. There are a number of companies that sell engine mounts to put just about any engine in just about any frame. I know LMC Truck has a few shown in their catalogs at lmctruck.com

A good rear end to go with is a pre 72 Ford 9inch rear end. I am not sure about your year of truck but the 9inch I got out of a 72 F100 fit right in my 1959 F100 with the addition of new spring perches. It had wider brake shoes but all else fit right in.

Do you have a welder? You may need to find someone to do some welding for you no matter which way you go. Unless you go bone stock you are going to find most after market items need some fabrication.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:09 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The 351W and C6 are good choices although an AOD transmisison would be even better. With the AOD you would not have to change the rear end ratio and as long as you didn't plan on drag racing or burnouts the original rear would hold up okay. You may want to put new seals in the C6. If you keep the straight axle and original rear no boxing should be necessary...

Old 08-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi Fyrtrks

I think your engine tranny combo is probably one of the best! I have a 390PI/C6 combo in my 51 F1 and I love it. But I think maybe the 351W might be even better.

My frame has handled the FE engine very well without boxing, however, I did just bust the pipe type after market motor mount that was installed in there. If you are changing out the mounts, I'd probably box the frame anyway just "cause," then have some good solid motor mounts made for the truck.

Backing up a little about what to do first. Some elementary advice. I didn't do this and I wish I had. First, clean out your garage and make sure you have plenty of storage. I read you are in NY so maybe the winters will be off season. You might get stuck with quite a few parts for your next phase but have to postpone for the winter. Plus you will need plenty of work space.

Also, I might go to a few shows and see what people have done to their trucks. I'd ask questions and pay close attention to the "lessons learned" they tell you about. That might save you quite a bit of "put it together/take it apart/put it back together" as you work. I also look at other trucks on e-bay for cool features I had never thought of that I now really want to have.

Then, I'd sit down and write out a list of features or "draw a picture" in your mind of what you want the truck to end up like. I'd prioritize those features - you might not be able to incorporate them all. Lastly, I'd flow out a plan for your work, including parts, labor (yours and someone elses) and MONEY. That way, you can anticipate any problems and get advice before you start some things instead of half way through it.

I know this sounds a little motherly, but you are probably going to invest quite a few thousand dollars in the truck in materials and time. I bought way too much stuff and ended up loosing money trying to sell it because I couldn't put it on the truck . For example, I bought and sold a brand new $2100 Mustang II front end because we couldn't weld in the upper towers with the headers I had made for the engine. Even worse, I didn't realize after spending 6 months building and installing my new engine and transmission, that it had to come out again to put the front end in. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about to try and avoid with a little (dare I say the word) planning!

Good luck! We love pictures! Write often and send money!

Julie1

Old 08-19-2008, 08:10 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 716 Likes on 257 Posts
frytrks... is that like friar truck ??? cute word play

first welcome to FTE... you're gonna love it here...

you really didn't give enough info for informed suggestions...

is your truck running now???.... do you want to drive it while you're doing 'stuff' to it... ???

do you want to do frame up restoration...??? stock or street rod ???

we need to know to bend you the way we want you to turn out

as mentioned, you're gonna have to learn at least 'a little' fabrication skills or have a thick wallet. even moving the tank to the rear will require some drilling, grinding, hammering and cursing... do you have any tools ???

engine mounts will have to be changed for the 351... an excellent choice by the way... even if it's not my preferred 460. transmission mounts will have to be fabbed or bought also.. and driveshafts lengthened/shortened accordingly. So maybe 'a little' isn't enough. But, for everything else...there's Master card, right ???

here's something to ponder while you're making your plan/drawing/daydream

TRIALS OF A FIRST TIME BUILDER

it might give you a little insight into your new found hobby. Don't let it inhibit your dream... there is NOTHING that this group and money can't overcome...oh, and time... you're gonna need some time too... time calculation forumla is in the article above...

some other reading material... at the top of the forum is a sticky "READ FIRST - FAQS and related articles" read through that for suspension info, engine choices and so much more

as for the tank to the rear...look over this to see what's involved...

INSTALLING A MID-60's Mustang Tank in a '53 F-100 truck

there will be someone right with you to answer your direct questions on lowering and swaybars...

and our friendly helpful finance department will be glad to be of service (place hand over wallet at this point)

most of all have fun with your project and post some pics of your ride now...we love purdy pitchurs... This is a friendly family type forum. These guys will go far and above what you've experienced other places to help you with a problem, offer encouragement when you're disappointed with your progress... laugh at your silly mistakes (cause they remember themselves doing the same thing or worse) and generally treat you like family... although there are a couple of cousins here that you have to watch out for...right Dick ????

later
John

Old 08-19-2008, 08:20 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Join date is Sept 2001.... I got a chuckle out of that. I'll say welcome back!! The 351W and C6 are a good combo, and witha tubular engine mount/crossmember and trans crossmember from CPP, this set-up will fit no problem. Since you aren't going original, I'd suggest a 1957-1972 9" rear end for a possible better gear ratio. Otherwise, what has already been said will get ya going in the right direction. Good luck!!

Old 08-19-2008, 10:18 PM
fyrtrks
New User
Just added info

Just a quick bit of info:

Yes I do live in NY Binghamton to be exact.

The truck is currently in the garage it was a present from my wife in 2001. He words this summer "You had better either work on that truck or I am going to sell it." Well enough said on that one.

It does run it has an inline 6 with a low end knock so I haven driven it in a while.

I am trying to find a better garage in which to work for 2 reasons 1 I have no room in the current garage and 2 lightning struck it last summer and I am sad to say there was some damage that has benn unrepaird to the garage.

The body is straight and nice the bed interior needs some work and it also needs box extensions and running boards.

I went to Syracuse Nats and saw some nice stuff that wasn't too flashy. Now DO NOT get me wrong, I would love to have the Tucci's or Chip Foose build my truck but Overhauling has gone away. So unless the Lanzini's are reding this and remember the guy with the cute african american daughter that visited about 3 1/2 years ago on a Make-A-Wish trip I doubt anything of that magnitude will happen. I want a nice daily driver (except for winter) who's flash will come with time.

Thanks for the replys and please keep them comming.