6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Crash safety and price advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Carl Lassiter
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crash safety and price advice

So, I've narrowed in on an F250 08 FX4 CC PSD with an MSRP of $49,800. I'm hoping to get her for $38k out the door? You think this is possible?

My second question regards crash safety. I know the interior and exterior were changed for MY08, and for MY05 the trucks had a redesign but my question is whether or not either are significantly different under the skin from the MY99 models(of course this excluded trannies and engines)? I ask as I will be lugging around loved ones as well as slate so would like to know how strong the passenger cell is but being a commercial vehicle this is tough to find.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Carl Lassiter; 08-19-2008 at 11:35 AM. Reason: missed '99 year ref
Old 08-19-2008, 11:27 AM
JIM_C
Elder User
Do some more reading; I think you should do much better than that on a new one right now.
I don't have specifics for Super Duty crash ratings (nobody does) but they generally fare well. A guy posted pics here recently when he rolled his truck (totaled) and walked away.
And not sure about the relevance but a friend of mine rolled his 2002 Super Duty four times with his wife and two small children after hitting a patch of ice. They were bumped up a bit (he wasn't even wearing his seat belt) but no serious injuries.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Carl Lassiter
Senior User
Originally Posted by JIM_C
Do some more reading; I think you should do much better than that on a new one right now.
I don't have specifics for Super Duty crash ratings (nobody does) but they generally fare well. A guy posted pics here recently when he rolled his truck (totaled) and walked away.
And not sure about the relevance but a friend of mine rolled his 2002 Super Duty four times with his wife and two small children after hitting a patch of ice. They were bumped up a bit (he wasn't even wearing his seat belt) but no serious injuries.
Thanks, Jim. Very informative answer regarding both crash safety and price. I'll keep researching prices but it has come as a surprise that more than $15k is possible off a new one. Thanks again and anyone else please chime in on these issues, especially price.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:49 AM
dagren99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pricing

Pricing has a lot more to do w/ locale & region than you'd think. Rural Areas (like us) are not seeing a ton of discounts from sticker price for most 09's. Truck sales are down a bit but not as much as in suburbia.

Larger metro areas where dealers are struggling to sell trucks are more willing to give larger discounts. I inquired about an 09 from a dealer in the Metro DC area and got a vastly cheaper price than @ the local dealer - he was willing to cut 12K + a 5K "Ford Truck loyalty bonus" for 17K off of a 46K sticker while the local dealer was only giving 7500 cash back w/ no mention of the "loyalty bonus" at all. I had the DC guy write up the deal - local guy said no way - go get it from him I can't afford to give trucks away like that.

This pricing was on identical trucks except the color - one blue & the other red.

DG

Old 08-19-2008, 12:13 PM
JIM_C
Elder User
Originally Posted by dagren99
Pricing has a lot more to do w/ locale & region than you'd think. Rural Areas (like us) are not seeing a ton of discounts from sticker price for most 09's. Truck sales are down a bit but not as much as in suburbia.

Larger metro areas where dealers are struggling to sell trucks are more willing to give larger discounts. I inquired about an 09 from a dealer in the Metro DC area and got a vastly cheaper price than @ the local dealer - he was willing to cut 12K + a 5K "Ford Truck loyalty bonus" for 17K off of a 46K sticker while the local dealer was only giving 7500 cash back w/ no mention of the "loyalty bonus" at all. I had the DC guy write up the deal - local guy said no way - go get it from him I can't afford to give trucks away like that.

This pricing was on identical trucks except the color - one blue & the other red.

DG
An 09? Was this an F150 or a Super Duty? I don't know if any 09 Super Duties are on the lots yet.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:28 PM
JIM_C
Elder User
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Thanks, Jim. Very informative answer regarding both crash safety and price. I'll keep researching prices but it has come as a surprise that more than $15k is possible off a new one. Thanks again and anyone else please chime in on these issues, especially price.
Carl, try this:
FordDirect.com - Get A Free Price Quote, Build Your Vehicle, Search Dealer Inventory, View Pricing Details, Compare Trims, See Latest Incentives And Offers

At the link above click 'search inventory.' When that page comes up click on the truck you're interested in.
When the next window comes up, type in your zip code (or your dealer's zip code, or surrounding zip codes to search dealers further away) and click 'search dealer lot.'
The trucks will come up, if any are in stock, and you can narrow them down using the feature selection on the left.
When you choose one, a new window will open with pricing info available in that zip code.
I searched a few dealers in CA north of you and although the pricing window shows an 'adjusted price' that takes the current incentives into account, it didn't show the invoice price like it does here in GA. You should try to find that out, because you can bargain for invoice MINUS the current incentives.
Anybody know how to figure invoice? Is it generally about 10% off? I can try to get an average based on trucks here because I'm in the market too.
Happy hunting!

Jim

Old 08-19-2008, 12:32 PM
dagren99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pricing

Oooops I meant 08 not 09...

The Local Dealer has since come back (actually just talked to him) and said "are you still looking for an 08 SD?"

I said yes - He said he'll get the truck from them (dealer in DC) by transfering a couple of F150's and match their price. Guess they needed the sales to meet this month...... The only difference is he said he'll write it up as 7500 cash back + 9500 off sticker. Not sure how the finance guy is going to juggle the #'s - this part could be interesting. That's assuming the DC dealer will take the 2 F150s in the SDs place.

So unless something goes wrong I'll have another 08 in the garage in a few days. This one's a Company truck so its not technically my toy.

DG

Old 08-19-2008, 03:05 PM
JIM_C
Elder User
17k off sticker is not bad at all.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:34 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
JIM_C:

I bot my last F-350 from Gwinnett Place in Duluth, a little north of you. I got about $11,000. discount with an honest number on my 2005 trade.

Most dealers will not relinquish the "reserve" which is 3%, and thus the reason to try and negotiate with the dealer that has the truck you want. A couple guys on this forum helped me locate what I wanted.

Either Gwinnett Place or Allan Vigil Ford in Atlanta are mega big dealers. If they have the vehicle you want, try them. You can check their inventory on line.

There is no doubt it is a buyer's market.

Good luck,

Old 08-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Carl Lassiter
Senior User
Thanks again, Jim. I have one more question, maybe it needs a thread of it's own.

Could I get by with a supercab or is legroom too tight? I have looked and I'm not sure. A 142in wheelbase would be perfect but maybe I should just take the plunge and get the 156in Crew cab. My Tundra is a 145in extended cab and has the perfect rear room (5" more in the back than the supercab), the F250 Crew is almost more than I'll ever need but I don't want to get the truck and wish I'd got more. Any input would be helpful. My heart says supercab but my head says crew cab...

Hoping to have some firm news on a truck by the end of the month. Blue, silver or black(love black but too much maintenace) FX4, just need to be sure whether to go Doublecab SB or CrewCab SB.

Carl, try this:
FordDirect.com - Get A Free Price Quote, Build Your Vehicle, Search Dealer Inventory, View Pricing Details, Compare Trims, See Latest Incentives And Offers

At the link above click 'search inventory.' When that page comes up click on the truck you're interested in.
When the next window comes up, type in your zip code (or your dealer's zip code, or surrounding zip codes to search dealers further away) and click 'search dealer lot.'
The trucks will come up, if any are in stock, and you can narrow them down using the feature selection on the left.
When you choose one, a new window will open with pricing info available in that zip code.
I searched a few dealers in CA north of you and although the pricing window shows an 'adjusted price' that takes the current incentives into account, it didn't show the invoice price like it does here in GA. You should try to find that out, because you can bargain for invoice MINUS the current incentives.
Anybody know how to figure invoice? Is it generally about 10% off? I can try to get an average based on trucks here because I'm in the market too.
Happy hunting!

Jim

Old 08-20-2008, 09:48 PM
JIM_C
Elder User
In my opinion, the Ford supercab portion is not for adults. I love the looks of them too but stick with the crew cab for practical reasons.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Carl Lassiter
Senior User
In my opinion, the Ford supercab portion is not for adults. I love the looks of them too but stick with the crew cab for practical reasons.
Darn it, I too love the look of the SC w/6'8" bed but it'll be crew cab for me. I just hope the dealer is willing to play ball when I roll in there Aug. 30. If they can better than $38k OTD like you suspect then I'l be joining the club and my Tundra's short-lived stay will be over. Let me know how your search goes too bud.