Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

traction bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 12:58 AM
klemklubfoot
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
traction bars

Hello I have a 93 f150 with a detriot locker and a 4" lift. there are lift blocks in the back now which I am taking out, before I am told that "they get spit out".
My question is I have been looking at some tuff country traction bars which I think would help distribute the trucks incredible traction and keep things tight in the back end.

As for the lift blocks they will get replaced by re-arched springs
Traction Bars - Tuff Country EZ-Ride

Any body have any experience with these traction bars

thanks
tyrone

Old 08-18-2008, 08:19 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 961 Likes on 761 Posts
I have no experience with this brand but this style traction bar is the best option for leaf spring suspension next to ladder bars IMO, it will effectively eliminate most of the axle wrap, which is what spits out blocks and breaks driveshafts and U-joints.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:13 AM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree with this style being the best option for a leaf sprung axle, especially 4wd trucks.
This design is as close to the worst, as one can get.
These bars are far too short, and limit wheel travel all together. While they are effective at controlling axle wrap, the recourse is far too great to make these a reasonable solution.
The axle will move on an arch during normal suspension cycles, and this arm / bar with its limited length moves at a different arch during the same suspension cycle.
The difference in arch reduces suspension compression,and extension. Depending on the angle of the traction bar, could limit total travel to just a few inches.
If you intend to eliminate the block, the spring will sit right on the axle tube, thus creating an even greater angle on this traction device, and this will pronounce an already existing problem.
The suspension will not extend and will find a difficult time compressing.
You will have a rough ride, and limited suspension travel.
This is not something that seems to be a good decision.
The popularity of this system is very low, and is very low for the above reasons.
My apologies for the disagreement, but experience has taught me that this style is just plain limited to cars, and 2wd trucks that have limited travel already.
I have to assume that this application is for a 4wd truck, where axle articulation is advantageous, and limiting flex results in poor performance.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:14 AM
klemklubfoot
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the insight and yes the truck is 4x4 and suspension travel is a must, The other alternative is a ladder bar set up which seems to be the next level up. Are there any plans online or else where a person could weld some of these up, or at least get a template or guideline to follow.

Thanks for the help and the help is appreciated

tyrone

Old 08-19-2008, 01:50 AM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, there are several different ideas that will allow a reasonable amount of flex. Ladder bars are still not it.
If you look at how a ladder bar is attached to both the axle, and the frame, you will once again see that these fixed points limit articulation to a very large degree.
These are longer, and have slightly less limitations than those in the first post, but are still not a common alternative for 4wd trucks.
There ar "Y" links, and single bars that do a great job. Most of these attach to the axle close to the center, and permit maximum articulation.
Here is just a production example. This is for a different application, but the concepts are the same. There are several ideas on how to make this, and you can, but for a simple example, this is a good concept.
Notice the shackle at the front which permits suspension flex, yet still reduces axle wrap.
Also note that there is only one bar, and this is located close to the center. Again, limiting axle wrap, and still permitting maximun articulation.