You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!
Undersizing of 11 thou should be perfect for your application, I think. That leaves enough room for a coating to reduce potential for rust
Turns out I got everything apart, off, and ready for new bushings. My local Napa as well as the family owned auto parts store didn't have them nor could they order them which I thought was odd.
Here is how I got things apart... I bought a $40 brake pin/ball joint removal tool at Harbor Freight, and machined a new "insert" that instead of having a larger head had a smaller head than the diameter of the body of the bolts. I cut off the heads of the bolt, attached the big clamp, then set the impact gun to "full blast" and jammed my homemade insert through pushing the bolt and the sleeve out the other side no problem.
To get the rubber that remained out, I put a 1-1/8" diameter hole saw on my drill, and just whizzed it out in dust form. It was by far easier than a torch, though even with a paper mask I almost choked to death.
So as of right now, the rusty/crusty rear perches are off, the bushings and bolts are out, the rivet fragments are punched out, and ready for installation of the new bits.
Just need to measure the diameter of the grade 8 bolts to replace the rivets (looks like 7/16") and find new bushings and whatever grade 8 bolt that would fit through that, and I'm good to go and back on the road.
Assuming the front driver's side tire can hold air (it's flat every day from 75psi - bah!) and of course I haven't started the thing in about a month while it's sat on jackstands so I imagine I'll have to charge the battery and dump my code back into the EEC. All easy and mildly annoying.
Thanks for the help and the rounds of BS... made the unpleasant work more pleasant. And glad you like your pins. They were fun to make as it was a midnight distraction from the normal days of stress.
As it turned out, the bushings I removed yesterday mostly in your presence, aren't replacable - they're part of the hangers. So, I have to replace the hangers which I just bought (along with leaf spring bushings) for PERTH AMBOY SPRING. Spoke to Joe there and he was like "what the heck are you doing..." anyway, if anyone needs suspension parts of any kind, for any kind of vehicle big or small, THAT is the place to go. Everything in stock, very knowledgeable people, and really freaking nice too.
Other than they only take MC Visa (and not Amex), they're fantastic.
So, if I get some time outside today I should have this done, or reasonably done, or something like that.
98% done. All I need to do now is purchase two grade 8 bolts suitable for the lower shock mounts, buzz them in and I'm done. New brackets, new shackles, new bolts, heavily coated with anti-sieze for 15 years from now, and this makes me a happy man.
Big, momentary plume of smoke when I started it, probably (hopefully) from sitting for a month, and a quick spin around the block (without rear shocks) was just fine. No creaking, no funny handling, everything seems tight. I'll zap the bolts again with the impact gun in a couple of weeks just to be sure.
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.