Oil & Lubrication  

Is Royal Purple Worth the $$$

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I figure RP doesn't cost any extra but saves me some time. With RP I only change my oil every 5k miles where as I was changing every 3k miles with my old stuff. In a period of 10k miles, I only have to change my oil twice instead of 3 times, and 3 changes with the old stuff costs the same as 2 changes with RP. It's just one less time I have to crawl under a vehicle.

I have noticed one major change since I began running it on my 2000 mustang. The cam synchronizer in my 3.8 was squealing a lot, after I switched to RP the noise was a lot quieter and eventually went away.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Ed
Posting Guru
Excellent post, Stang67. Absolutely correct...

Plus, what I like is when a person runs late on a OCi, during the winter, traveling in the summer, a quality synthetic such as Royal Purple will not break down, all factors being equal, to a conventional oil, or a house brand oil that may have "questionable addtive packages"...

Synthetics keep engines clean and do not break down under high heat conditions, heat soaks, ect.

While starburst certified conventional oils have indeed gotten better in the last 7-8 years, synthetic oils shine and give you an added peace of mind.

Your price comparison for 3 OCs as compared to two RP Ocs is the icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned. Good point, and well said, including real world experience with the cam part on your 2000 Mustang with the FoMoCo 3.8 V6.

Ed

Old 09-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Jeff Dodson
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I oput a whole storey in about my experience with Royal Purple oild and It did not post, I dont know why but I sure cant retype it all again. Anyway YES it is worth it and if any of yall have Harley Davidson, try it for awhile and come back and tell us

Old 09-08-2008, 06:19 PM
92 f-150
Senior User
expensive but a real good product. id rather sepnd the 2.50 dollars more per quart versus rebuilding my engine. its all i run. they just came out with break in oil so now its the only oil i run. soon im going to buy this **** in a 55 gallon drum.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:48 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 92 f-150
expensive but a real good product. id rather sepnd the 2.50 dollars more per quart versus rebuilding my engine. its all i run. they just came out with break in oil so now its the only oil i run. soon im going to buy this **** in a 55 gallon drum.
The guy with the million mile van (I think I posted earlier in this thread) has gone a million miles on plain old Valvoline oil. How much further do you think he will be able to go if he'd used RP? I don't think any "designer" oil is necessary to make your engine live a long time these days if you take reasonable care of it. "Avoiding a rebuild" is not a rational reason to use designer oil; regular Motorcraft 5W-20 and Motorcraft filters are excellent in mod motors.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:03 PM
hofuf
Elder User
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
The guy with the million mile van (I think I posted earlier in this thread) has gone a million miles on plain old Valvoline oil. How much further do you think he will be able to go if he'd used RP? I don't think any "designer" oil is necessary to make your engine live a long time these days if you take reasonable care of it. "Avoiding a rebuild" is not a rational reason to use designer oil; regular Motorcraft 5W-20 and Motorcraft filters are excellent in mod motors.
I'm guessing that one vehicle that's travelled a million miles without an overhaul doesn't provide statistically significant data.

On the other hand, I'm aware of data from hundreds of pumps and 10's of compressors operating in a refinery that had reduced wear (as shown by oil analysis) and increased reliability (as shown by run time between overhauls) while operating on Royal Purple versus plain old oil. Royal Purple is not a "designer" oil, it has a proven track record.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:32 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by hofuf
I'm guessing that one vehicle that's travelled a million miles without an overhaul doesn't provide statistically significant data.

On the other hand, I'm aware of data from hundreds of pumps and 10's of compressors operating in a refinery that had reduced wear (as shown by oil analysis) and increased reliability (as shown by run time between overhauls) while operating on Royal Purple versus plain old oil. Royal Purple is not a "designer" oil, it has a proven track record.
...and I'm aware of thousands of fleet vehicles in police departments, limousine, and taxicab use that have mod motors and have hundreds of thousands of miles on them using regular dino or semi-syn oil. Mod motors last a long time.

If dying oil purple and adding "Royal" to the name doesn't make oil a "designer" item, I don't know what does. That and the price and limited availability. I'm old enough to remember Cam2 oil from the 70's that had purple dye in it, and remember when Mobil gas was bright red (looking down into the tank of my '66 Corvette). Very pretty.

I'm sure that RP is a fine product, but you sure don't *need* it "to avoid overhauls" in cars and trucks in regular and even tough service. And I'm guessing that the pumps in the refinery were not tested with alternative brands of big name synthetic oils that I'm guessing are going to be in the same ballpark as RP.

Again, no offense, but oils like semi-syn Motorcraft 5W-20 are really, really good oils these days. And for longer change intervals, I believe that most of the major brand synthetics are just fine as well. I'm using QS Torquepower in my 4.6 E150 van right now--I got 24 quarts of 5W20 for 99 cents each at a closeout. About 10 bucks for a full change with a Motorcraft filter included.

George

Old 09-09-2008, 06:31 AM
Jeff Dodson
Elder User
Well I believe what you are saying. Keep it maintained and oil changed regularly. My wife put 170,000 miles on her Expedition on Walmart Supertech oil ( about 7.oo bucks a change) and still ran perfect.

Speaking on behalve of Harley Davidson. The tech guy at our local HD told me he dont like Royal Purple because he had done rebuild on a HD that had 100,000 miles and when he removed the cylinders, he could still see the cross hatch in the cylinders, there did not appear to have any wear. I like the way that sounds.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:05 PM
azfordf100man
Elder User
I agree with Yogeorge, Motorcraft oil is actually really good. I'm not sure of the amsoil papers, but motorcraft ranked in the top 3 if I remember correctly. Also, check out Bobistheoilguy, Motorcraft oil puts up nice uoa's.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:08 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On on another note always use oil analysis to make sure whatever oil your using is doing its job. Like i said before Royal Purple is well advertised oil an marketed everywhere. Doesnt mean its the best though. There are other less advertised oils out there that will do just as good as job. But are probably not as well known. Nice thread guys very interesting comments. It would be interesting to have an oil analysis challenge an put each oil up against each other an see who would win.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:33 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Talking

Nobody is saying Motorcraft oil, Valvoline, is bad oil, or that it won't deliver long engine life.

What we are saying is that Royal Purple, even with it's purple "dye" ect, STILL has a long and proven track record. It also is used succesfully in many different commercial machinery applications. It is a quality lubricant, and if some wants to spend $2.50 more per quart, why not? It not as though he's spending that $2.50 and getting lesser quality in return?!!

This reminds me of those people who say, I'll buy a 2003 used Ford Forcus, as compared to a guy who goes out and purchases a brand new, special-order Ford Mustang GT-500. Both cars, the Focus and the 'Stang will get your groceries, both will take your videos back, but which car will deliver more smiles per miles?... AT $1,ooo+ difference???

And we quibble over +$2.50 per quart?

Ed

Old 09-10-2008, 10:18 AM
rplatt56
Senior User
Every person has their own opinion of which oil is better or worse... Ive tried M1,RP, and MC.. Ive noticed very little difference in each of them. The MAIN thing is to properly change the oil at regular intervals.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:56 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The idea that special lubricants for industrial machinery, etc translate directly into API licensed motor oil is quite a reach. ExxonMobil and Shell still dominate those markets, with Chevron in a strong third place. RP is trying to become mainstream and shed its "boutique" image, but the danger in that is that you no longer can command a premium price.

In the aircooled VW and Porsche world, there are those who insist that Swepco and Brad Penn products are so superior that it is worth the hassle and expense of mail order to get them. If they were on the shelf at Pepboys, like RP is now, some of the mystique would go away.

Jim

Old 09-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Ed
Posting Guru
Good points, Jim! I agree.

There is also some "niche Niche" oils used in racing circles, that are very obscure, but I have no doubt they are good lubricants.

Even Joe Gibbs is marketing his own special oil, although I suspect (but don't know) he simply cut a deal with a major manufacturer to put his well known name on their product.

Ed

Old 09-10-2008, 03:30 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Smiling about motor oil?

Originally Posted by Ed
Nobody is saying Motorcraft oil, Valvoline, is bad oil, or that it won't deliver long engine life.

What we are saying is that Royal Purple, even with it's purple "dye" ect, STILL has a long and proven track record. It also is used succesfully in many different commercial machinery applications. It is a quality lubricant, and if some wants to spend $2.50 more per quart, why not? It not as though he's spending that $2.50 and getting lesser quality in return?!!

This reminds me of those people who say, I'll buy a 2003 used Ford Forcus, as compared to a guy who goes out and purchases a brand new, special-order Ford Mustang GT-500. Both cars, the Focus and the 'Stang will get your groceries, both will take your videos back, but which car will deliver more smiles per miles?... AT $1,ooo+ difference???

And we quibble over +$2.50 per quart?

Ed
No doubt that RP is a fine product, but saying it's like comparing a Focus to a GT-500 is a bit far-fetched. If you didn't know the RP was in your crankcase, would you *ever* be able to tell the diff between that and, say, Mobil One or Valvoline Synpower? Especially if you added purple dye to the latter two choices?

And actually, having owned Corvettes and (in the old days) Chrysler Hemi cars, I could actually argue that the Focus *could* be more fun--assuming it had a stick, good tires and struts, etc. on it. In a traffic jam, the GT-500 would be completely frustrating, and even on a twisty road with a 35-55 mph limit, I actually like a spirited little car best, because you can buzz the little sucker without becoming public enemy #1. As they say, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow

Oil is more like vitamin pills....it makes me feel better if I take vitamins every day...maybe. And if I take the *really* expensive designer vitamins, it might make me feel better yet. But I may never know if they make the tiniest bit of difference. Do purple vitamin pills work the best?

I'll agree that the cost of oil changes is pretty small these days compared to gasoline costs, but saving $20 is still worth something to me.

George

Quick Reply: Is Royal Purple Worth the $$$