Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Posting Guru

MAKO314 has a good reputation on FTE.MAKO314 has a good reputation on FTE.
charcoal filter, great results

I tried something new today and it seems to work great. I took BD that I had washed and dried and ran it through a 5 m carbon or charcoal filter. this proved to be a great clarifing method. the already tranparent dry fuel that was yellow is now crystal clear with hardly any color. will clarifing the BD through a charcoal filter harm or degrade the fuel in any way, I havn't run any of it yet. I was just trying something new.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:30 AM
Elder User

jimkidd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jimkidd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sounds like you made bio-kerosene!

WANTED: Someone to go back in time with me. You'll get
paid after we getback. Must bring your own weapons.
Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before.
www.jimkidd.com
Old 08-21-2008, 06:28 AM
Freshman User

comp is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkidd View Post
Sounds like you made bio-kerosene!
does it burn different ??
Old 08-21-2008, 09:48 AM
Postmaster

empiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to all
what kind of filter? where did you get it from? sounds like something to try.

my blend has been looking green. yellow bio and blueish #2, .

Please, do not text & drive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRwfq7Igvxc

-David
Old 08-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKO314 View Post
will clarifing the BD through a charcoal filter harm or degrade the fuel in any way, I havn't run any of it yet. I was just trying something new.

It won't harm it but is of dubious value.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:32 PM
Posting Guru

CheaperJeeper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wonder what this would do to red-dyed #2...?

84 Mercedes 300CD Turbo. Bone stock daily driver

86 F250 Super Cab 4x6 (dually), 7.3 Banks TURBO, SMF & ZF5-47, 4.10 gears, 3" Banks straight-pipe exhaust. Mileage unknown
Old 08-31-2008, 04:12 PM
Postmaster

empiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to all
worth a try. Clorox does better.

-David
Old 08-31-2008, 09:47 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by empiretc View Post
worth a try. Clorox does better.
Clorox?!? How would you get that out of the fuel? That would be worse than the red dye...

I'm interested in taking the red out of the fuel - not removing the fuel from my clothes....

86 F250 Super Cab 4x6 (dually), 7.3 Banks TURBO, SMF & ZF5-47, 4.10 gears, 3" Banks straight-pipe exhaust. Mileage unknown
Old 08-31-2008, 10:34 PM
Taxpayer Subsidized

cmpd1781 has a superb reputationcmpd1781 has a superb reputationcmpd1781 has a superb reputationcmpd1781 has a superb reputationcmpd1781 has a superb reputationcmpd1781 has a superb reputationcmpd1781 has a superb reputationcmpd1781 has a superb reputationcmpd1781 has a superb reputationcmpd1781 has a superb reputationcmpd1781 has a superb reputation
You guys.....

Buncha damned tinkerers......

(if it ain't broke----fix the damned thing anyway!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonslick View Post
You must be a cop!
And not a very good one at that by your comments!
Your words alone prove that you are the "bad cop".
Old 08-31-2008, 11:26 PM
Elder User

TXHillCountry is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheaperJeeper View Post
Clorox?!? How would you get that out of the fuel? That would be worse than the red dye...

I'm interested in taking the red out of the fuel - not removing the fuel from my clothes....
Hmmm, sound like it would be very difficult to accomplish.

Not gospel, but from Wikipedia (with links to the dyes used):

"In United States of America, the Environmental Protection Agency mandates use of a red dye to identify high-sulfur fuels for off-road use. Solvent Red 26 is used in the United States as a standard, though it is often replaced with Solvent Red 164, similar to Solvent Red 26 but with longer alkyl chains. The Internal Revenue Service mandates use of the same red dyes, in fivefold concentration, for tax-exempt diesel fuels; their argument for the higher dye content is to allow detection even when diluted with "legal" fuel. Detection of red-dyed fuel in the fuel system of an on-road vehicle will incur substantial penalties.

2003 F250 6.0 PSD FX4 King Ranch Crew Cab Shortbed -> STOLEN, STRIPPED, TOTALED
Banks Six Gun with PDA Banks Monster Exhaust Banks Intake EGR Delete Kit ARP Headstuds 2005 Grille 305/70/16 BFGoodrich ATKO tires Westin Bull Nose with 6" KC Slimlights ICON Vehicle Dynamics Leveling Kit
Old 09-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Posting Guru

Yeah, thanks for the quote TXHill - 'course I've read that, and we all know taking the red dye out is intentionally difficult. And that running the red-dyed stuff on the road carries "substantial penalties". It was mostly a question out of curiousity. None of us would ever run off-road fuel, or try to take the dye out of it to make it harder to detect if we did

Old 09-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Elder User

Yeah, I posted the quote more for the links to the dyes themselves. After reading the chemical composition, it seems it would take a chemical reaction to "un-dye" the fuel, rather than filtering, since the dye is chemically bonded to the fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheaperJeeper View Post
Yeah, thanks for the quote TXHill - 'course I've read that, and we all know taking the red dye out is intentionally difficult. And that running the red-dyed stuff on the road carries "substantial penalties". It was mostly a question out of curiousity. None of us would ever run off-road fuel, or try to take the dye out of it to make it harder to detect if we did

Banks Six Gun with PDA Banks Monster Exhaust Banks Intake EGR Delete Kit ARP Headstuds 2005 Grille 305/70/16 BFGoodrich ATKO tires Westin Bull Nose with 6" KC Slimlights ICON Vehicle Dynamics Leveling Kit
Old 09-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Postmaster

it doesn't take very much farm diesel to turn a tank of commercial diesel red.

-David
Old 09-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Elder User

Yeah, red dye in any composition is a @#$#.

We bought a bunch of plastic drums (15gal, 30gal and 55gal) for our finished product. They came from restaurant distributors and they previously held the syrups for soft drinks like Dr. Pepper and Big Red. For those of you not from down south, Big Red is a red, strawberry-ish soft drink.

There was about a eighth of an inch of syrup left in the bottom of the 30 gallon Big Red drum, I filled the entire drum up with water to dilute it and wash it out, figuring that 30 gallons of water would make it almost unoticeable when I emptied it out. To set the scene for you, I did this in my driveway, on our cul-de-sac. My neighbor and I dumped the drum over and it looked like something out of a horror movie..."The River Ran Blood" or something like that. Plus as the red river ran down my driveway and around our cul-de-sac to the nearest storm drain, the entire cul-de-sac smelled like Big Red. Took a couple more fillings and rinsings to get it all out, and another hour of hosing down to wash it all away.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:37 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Most Chlorine compounds (Clorox) will react with the dye's and eliminate the color. It just has to be thoroughly mixed, then settled to remove the water. You can also remove the dye by bubbling Chlorine gas through the fuel. I've done both in my lab..................

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 09-01-2008, 01:37 PM