Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 03:43 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
New Fuel Pump

I felt that my truck was not getting enough fuel at the high end of WOT runs. I wanted to replace the fuel pump. After reading this post (LINK) by Curtis (Pocket) I decided to go with a Walbro GSL 392. Thank you Curtis for posting your findings and install tips. You saved my non-mechanical brain a lot of guess work.

I found the pump on Ebay for $118.99 with free shipping (LINK). Very fast shipping from this seller. Ordered on Friday and received on Monday.

The SOTP meter said there was an improvement. I don't have an in-cab fuel pressure gauge so I do not know what the WOT pressure was. Here are the static fuel pressure and boost readings before and after the new pump.

Stock Fuel Pump:

KOEO fuel pressure 61 PSI (I had previously shimmed the FPR)

WOT Test:
20 PSI max boost with red line connected
22 PSI max boost with red line disconnected

With Walbro GSL 392 Fuel Pump:

KOEO fuel pressure 72 PSI

WOT Test:
22 PSI max boost with red line connected
26 PSI max boost with red line disconnected

Both WOT Tests were up the same 4% grade in 80E.

I didn't do a detailed write-up because it is pretty straight forward, but here's a LINK with pics and tips on install. .

FYI - Still running stock sticks, stock turbo and stock 15° HPOP

Old 08-15-2008, 03:59 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like it help your boost numbers. Congrats on the install.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Without any change to your shim on the regulator, that's a pretty big jump in fuel pressure just at idle. Looks like the old pump was weak.

Glad the new one is working good for ya!

Old 08-15-2008, 05:39 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for the up date and links Robin...i think ill get one here soon for just in case....i dont want to be forced to buy another stocker.....

Old 08-15-2008, 05:39 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Pocket
Without any change to your shim on the regulator, that's a pretty big jump in fuel pressure just at idle. Looks like the old pump was weak.

Glad the new one is working good for ya!
SOTP says its helping, and I don't think I would have increased boost without increased fuel supply. Thanks again for your post and tips.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:49 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ron's power stroke
thanks for the up date and links Robin...i think ill get one here soon for just in case....i dont want to be forced to buy another stocker.....
Your more than welcome Ron. I tried posting this Wednesday and was almost done and the server knocked me off. Waited till today when the server seemed to be running better.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:56 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good deal Robin it's always nice when things work out for the best.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:11 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by megawatt00
Good deal Robin it's always nice when things work out for the best.
To me it was worth the money and the 2 hours spent. I do believe the old pump was just not up to the job. Someone with more mechanical aptitude then me could do it in an hour.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:20 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
To me it was worth the money and the 2 hours spent. I do believe the old pump was just not up to the job. Someone with more mechanical aptitude then me could do it in an hour.
To me time dosen't matter when you are working on your truck, as long as it comes out right and the results are positive!

Old 08-15-2008, 06:38 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by megawatt00
To me time dosen't matter when you are working on your truck, as long as it comes out right and the results are positive!
I feel the same way. Cheers to you too

Old 08-15-2008, 07:17 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Robin, how many miles on you fuel pump before you upgraded? I just discovered that mine was running at 65PSI stock with no shim.

Congrats on the install

Old 08-15-2008, 08:43 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jhand124
Robin, how many miles on you fuel pump before you upgraded? I just discovered that mine was running at 65PSI stock with no shim.

Congrats on the install
Jason,

98.4k. I shimmed my FPR about 3 months ago to get from about 43 PSI to 60 PSI, KOEO. It was either a weak fuel pump or a weak spring in the FPR. I still don't really know which. But I do know the new pump is better than the old pump.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:55 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Jason,

98.4k. I shimmed my FPR about 3 months ago to get from about 43 PSI to 60 PSI, KOEO. It was either a weak fuel pump or a weak spring in the FPR. I still don't really know which. But I do know the new pump is better than the old pump.
I suspect a weak pump, given your results, I think the springs are what they are, I don't see them wearing out. I have 215K on mine and when I was putting the FPR housing back on 5 timies there was some tension there. There are so many varing differences in stock pressures, it has to be the pump. Anyone who has replaced the pump or done in tank pumps are putting up much better pressures.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:45 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jhand124
I suspect a weak pump, given your results, I think the springs are what they are, I don't see them wearing out. I have 215K on mine and when I was putting the FPR housing back on 5 timies there was some tension there. There are so many varing differences in stock pressures, it has to be the pump. Anyone who has replaced the pump or done in tank pumps are putting up much better pressures.
I agree that I had a pump that was weaker than the new one but it took the combination of the shim and new pump to get me to 72 PSI KOEO. I just hope this new pump will also give me enough fuel volume for bigger sticks, when the time comes. It's the theory of "Supporting Mods". You have to do the little things that lead up to the bigger things.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:49 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
I agree that I had a pump that was weaker than the new one but it took the combination of the shim and new pump to get me to 72 PSI KOEO. I just hope this new pump will also give me enough fuel volume for bigger sticks, when the time comes. It's the theory of "Supporting Mods". You have to do the little things that lead up to the bigger things.
10-4 two dat

Quick Reply: New Fuel Pump