1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you?
No way, I would hide the keys!
12.12%
Might as well, I'll be gone and it's insured.
87.88%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Would you let her?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 01:24 PM
BadDogPSD
Laughing Gas
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Yes, I'd let her drive it... like others have stated it's just a truck and most likely better than letting it sit.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Heavy_Metal
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redford
I am about 1 week away from departing CONUS. I am heading for SW Asia for a year as a civilian contractor.

My wife recently told me she really likes driving the F-250. It makes her feel very secure and safe when driving down the road. I told her she could if she wanted to, just try to keep it clean.

My question; Would you let your wife drive your truck if you had to go away for a year?
You going over with L3 Vertex? I just came back in Feb.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Shade
Senior User
I say let her drive it but my G/F can't drive a stick either so I don't worry about it. Seems better for the truck to work a little than just sit for a year though.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:41 PM
dadsgreenpsd
Senior User
On the one hand, it needs to be driven now and again. On the other hand, she likes to park CLOSE! and there is this funky smell in the van, along with much debris..... and she doesn't like the stick in the city... so..... probably not.

on edit: She's gonna drive it anyways, so therefore, the vote is: let her drive it......

Old 08-15-2008, 02:44 PM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
Originally Posted by Heavy_Metal
You going over with L3 Vertex? I just came back in Feb.
No, I signed on with ITT.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Heavy_Metal
Elder User
Good move, I quit L3 due to horrible management and parts supply issues. let me put it this way, we regularly ran out of safetywire. Very stuipid.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Heavy_Metal
Elder User
Oh yea, have fun in Columbus GA. Get used to the "army way" they treat you like a grunt but it's quite funny seeing people march that have been out for 10+ years. They tend to forget alot of facing movements.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:54 PM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
I started my military life back in the US Army about 31 years ago. No surprises there.

I looked at L3 and KBR, but a buddy who is now in working in Kuwait told me about ITT, said they actually treat you pretty well.

From what I have been told (waiting confirmation) I will be processed through Ft. Bragg NC (another garden spot of the universe).

Old 08-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Heavy_Metal
Elder User
You may want to check on that, they used to process there but they closed that CRC to contractors and moved to Columbus in later 2006.

There's a big difference between 31 years ago and now. You'll see when you get to your site in Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait or Egypt. I've never seen so many soldiers with absolutely nothing to do. Rarely performed missions. We basically did everything as contractors, which is fine but when I was in, wartime contractors were unheard of, and especially ones that actually interacted with active duty.

If you have any choice processing, and if you are even going to Columbus, try to get in Bravo company, Alpha and Charlie are pretty slow and basically have thier heads up thier you know whats.
If I remember correctly, ITT guys stayed at the Holiday inn near the post. It's about the nicest Holiday inn I've ever been in and they treat you pretty good once they find out you're a defense contractor.

A few tips,
1. Bring lots of entertainment. CRC is about a reliable as a Yugo. You may be sitting in columbus for up to 7 weeks. They'll pay you your regular wage but, you'll just be stuck. Also, bring them with you to CRC. You'll sit ALOT.

2. Get know know your company's "trusted agent". If you don't currently have a Common Access Card be prepared to be washed out for the following week.

3. Currently there are 120 contractor spots on the the gov't rotator. People who are in "the system" (which you'll notice only like 30 people will be in when you start CRC) have guaranteed seats. The latter get to start the process over the next week.

4. Your CRC process will start on a friday, 0600 to 2230. Filled with "death by powerpoint" and the such. Saturday is more of the same. Sunday, you'll find out if you are on "the list" if not, you'll go back to the hotel to start again the next friday. If so, you'll move into the barracks.

5. The record to date, to be stuck in Columbus by a Contrator is 9 weeks. This was me. They couldn't figure out why I had a Secret security clearance. (duh, I was AFSOC)

6. Bring a small towel and some toiletries to the terminal on post (when you are leaving Columbus) ABout every time I've been through there, the "rotator" broke, stranding us in the terminal for 1+ days. Since we are "sanitized" you can't leave.

7. You'll fly from there to Newfoundland. If you smoke, the smoking area is in the main terminal, upstairs. They have a real nice gift shop and if you want to send a post card home, the cashier woman will mail it for you if you ask her to. Don't use the payphone here to call home, they charge you $15.00 a minute.

8. Next stop is Ali al Salem, Kuwait. GET A CELL PHONE HERE. Otherwise you'll pay for it later. As much as you might think this is not a necessity, it is. You'll see soldiers basically never leave the AT&T call centers, you'll even see some there 8+ hours a day. the Cell Phone place is directly behind the KFC trailer int he towne center of the post (where the PX is). Ask the clerk for a Asiacell sim card. If he doesn't have any, you can get them later at your final destination. (scratch this for Egypt)

9. Don't buy a satellite phone, they all charge over $1.25 a minute. Asiacell is .20 a minute. a $20 card will get you a 2 hour phone call home. (.20 on a plan)

I can give you more info if you want it.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Heavy_Metal
Elder User
If you don't mind me asking, what are you getting? I was there 2 years, 2 months and net'd 408k.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:48 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Wifey drives my truck a lot, I just get worried when she's running around town a bunch in it because she has a bad track record in parking lots while driving trucks (luckily she's never crunched one of mine).

Old 08-15-2008, 06:37 PM
bowser
Mountain Pass
The Mrs. drives the truck more than I do right now. It's an auto, but she can drive a stick too. Like these guys said, it's insured so let her go.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:08 PM
wcurtis
Senior User
I let my wife drive mine, but I do need a new rear bumper because she backed into a pole

Old 08-15-2008, 07:45 PM
KSCRUDE
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Let her drive it. It is one of the safest vehicles on the road. It will have the same value a year later whether she drives it or it is a garage queen.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:32 PM
pstrokejoe
New User
Let her have at it. It sounds like she's comfortable with it, good for her. I'd bet that after fueling it up a few times, she won't be using it for a grocery getter.

Quick Reply: Would you let her?