Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Junior User

dcwhipple is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question 1st Dr Pepper Attempt

Don't think it worked...
1) Got some WVO from the local Mexican place down the street about a month ago and let it sit.
2) Scooped a liter of murky golden oil off the top.
3) Took to boiling point (~260 f) and saw very tiny bubbles...no boiling so seemed H2O free.
4) Let cool to ~ 140 f and put in 2 liter bottle.
5) Added the fully diluted mix (250 ml (most of the yellow bottle) of HEET + 1 tsp of lye from Lowes).
6) Shook for 5 seconds 4 times over 1 hour.
7) Let sit for 48 hours.

The oil started murky gold and is now murky gold with a 2 inch layer of black gook at the bottom of the 2 liter soda bottle. It's like a lava lamp! I do not see an appreciable difference between the before and after color and opaqueness of the top part.

Is it just that the oil was THAT BAD and I need to run it again or perhaps I need to "wash" the rest of the crud out? Heaven forbid that I did something wrong
-Dan PAA MEMBER #68...just missed 69, the story of my life

00 F350SC Auto 4x4-6637
www.7point3.com
http://search.ebscohost.com/ usr/pw:library
Powerstroke trouble code descriptions
Old 08-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I suspect your technique is wrong.

first you chemistry seems to be off.

did you get complete disolution of the lye in the heet

I have heard that heet is not the best source of methanol (I have never used it just read that in a few places)

Your agitation techniqe was inadequate.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:54 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwhipple View Post
Don't think it worked...
1) Got some WVO from the local Mexican place down the street about a month ago and let it sit.
2) Scooped a liter of murky golden oil off the top.
3) Took to boiling point (~260 f) and saw very tiny bubbles...no boiling so seemed H2O free.
4) Let cool to ~ 140 f and put in 2 liter bottle.
5) Added the fully diluted mix (250 ml (most of the yellow bottle) of HEET + 1 tsp of lye from Lowes).
6) Shook for 5 seconds 4 times over 1 hour.
7) Let sit for 48 hours.

The oil started murky gold and is now murky gold with a 2 inch layer of black gook at the bottom of the 2 liter soda bottle. It's like a lava lamp! I do not see an appreciable difference between the before and after color and opaqueness of the top part.

Is it just that the oil was THAT BAD and I need to run it again or perhaps I need to "wash" the rest of the crud out? Heaven forbid that I did something wrong
#1. Did you do a Titration?
#3. Those "tiny bubbles" ARE water, and can effect the process.
#5. How many grams is 1 tsp? What type of "Lye"? What strength?
#6. You should have shaken the s*** out of it for at least 5 min.

Definitely under-processed............

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 08-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phydeaux88 View Post
I suspect your technique is wrong.

first you chemistry seems to be off.

did you get complete disolution of the lye in the heet

I have heard that heet is not the best source of methanol (I have never used it just read that in a few places)

Your agitation techniqe was inadequate.
You could be very well right?!?!? I just followed the 'Making A Small Batch' instructions on biodieselcommunity.org

Can you please help with a little more detail around the chemistry being off? They say 250ml methanol (about 1 cup, right???) and 6g NAOH (about 1 tsp, right???)

The solution DID completely dissolve into a clear liquid before I put it in with the oil. Took about 5 minutes of hard shaking in a closed mason jar.

Would also like additional detail on proper agitation as well as any suggestions on where to get a better test methanol source if HEET is no good.

Sorry for the basic questions...I was hoping enough research in advance would result in a positive result but I was obviously wrong.

Thanks!

00 F350SC Auto 4x4-6637
www.7point3.com
Old 08-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmandelux View Post
#1. Did you do a Titration?
#3. Those "tiny bubbles" ARE water, and can effect the process.
#5. How many grams is 1 tsp? What type of "Lye"? What strength?
#6. You should have shaken the s*** out of it for at least 5 min.

Definitely under-processed............
First...Thanks for the input. (forgot to say that last time I posted)

#5. instructions say that 1tsp = 6-7g and I used Roebic 100% Sodium Hydroxide.

Sounds like I need to try test batch #2.

00 F350SC Auto 4x4-6637
www.7point3.com
Old 08-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Senior User

tradergem is starting off with a positive reputation.
HEET is only 99% methanol with 1% proprietary ingrediant per this MSDS: GAS LINE ANTIFREEZE

I don't really know, but I think that extra 1% proprietary ingrediant may be the problem.
Good luck. Jim
1990 F250 XLT 7.3L N/A E4OD 4X4 4:10 axle ratios
Old 08-14-2008, 02:07 AM
Junior User

blkbeast is starting off with a positive reputation.
I did all my first test batches with yellow Heet without too many problems. You may not have had enough lye in the mix. I think the base for new oil is around 5g per liter so used oil would be more than that depending on the titration. When I did the Dr pepper method with used oil I just used twice the lye they called for.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwhipple View Post
Can you please help with a little more detail around the chemistry being off? They say 250ml methanol (about 1 cup, right???) and 6g NAOH (about 1 tsp, right???)

The solution DID completely dissolve into a clear liquid before I put it in with the oil. Took about 5 minutes of hard shaking in a closed mason jar.

Would also like additional detail on proper agitation as well as any suggestions on where to get a better test methanol source if HEET is no good.

Sorry for the basic questions...I was hoping enough research in advance would result in a positive result but I was obviously wrong.

Thanks!
It is really difficult to get close to accurate weight of a crystaline solid by measuring volume because you can't take the density (how tightly packed) into consideration. I also dont know how pure the lye and or HEET you used was.

You are correct that 250 ml is approx one cup

To measure the lie try a dixie cup scale:
Dixie Cup Scale - Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial
remember to use distilled water for the standard weight (water from your faucet has to much junk in it so it is heavier than distilled)

go buy a cheap medication dispensing dropper to measure the water with.

Mexican Food places tend to use the oil for a long time and that causes a heavy buildup of FFAs. For that reason you really should titrate to get accurate an measure how much NaOH you need.
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/titratingoil/

As far as proper agitation goes ya really need to shake the s*** out of it for for at least 5 mins.

Dont give up it is worth the effort and you will get there. Many here have tried several times before succeeding.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:37 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels