Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Senior User

fattmann is starting off with a positive reputation.
Excessive soap suds when washing test batch...

Very early stages of experimenting here (don't even have a diesel yet!), and had an issue i can't figure out.

Using the instructions from: Biodiesel i made a 1L, fresh oil test batch. It turned out fanstastic! after a couple days of settling (forgot about it in the garage..), the bio was extremely clear with the glycerin at the bottom. It looked like it was ready to put in a tank, but have read it only improves quality when you wash it.

So i decided to take a stab at washing it, for practice. I used the "Dr. Pepper" wash method since it was only a small batch- Washing Biodiesel Dr. Pepper Style - Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial And i was alittle horrified by the results..

After the first wash, which i was VERY gently, i got a bit of sud formation. It settled out after a few hours, so i persisted. Second wash there was even more, about two inches of the bottle were suds. I've washed it about 4 times now, and still have Massive soap formations. I stuck the two liter bottle in the freezer to try and break any emulsion, it's thawing out right now but doesn't look good.. Looks like i may have lost as much as a quarter of my original liter from bleeding off the water and suds. The water still won't settle out clear...

What did i do wrong? Was i just not gently enough? Was going to move on to a WVO test batch, but think i'll wait till i figure this out.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:27 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
formation, soap, sud, suds, testing, truck