Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Elder User

TXHillCountry is starting off with a positive reputation.
WVO collection pumps...

I'd like to get some feedback on the types of pumps folks are using to collect their oil. For the last two months, we've been using the smaller FillRite 12V model (FR1604) made by Tuthill Transfer. Ran about $170 online. It worked like a champ until yesterday when it bit the dust. It's got a limited duty cycle of 30 minutes at 12V, but it actually died around 20 minutes.

The company is replacing it since it's under warranty, but I'm on the lookout for something more substantial. I'm will to step up the price, I'd be willing to pay 2-3 times that of the FR1604 if I knew I had a substantial, relatively bullet-proof pump I could depend on. It does need to be 12 or 24V though, I don't want to have to carry a gen around for 110V.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

tnx,
TX

2003 F250 6.0 PSD FX4 King Ranch Crew Cab Shortbed -> STOLEN, STRIPPED, TOTALED
Banks Six Gun with PDA Banks Monster Exhaust Banks Intake EGR Delete Kit ARP Headstuds 2005 Grille 305/70/16 BFGoodrich ATKO tires Westin Bull Nose with 6" KC Slimlights ICON Vehicle Dynamics Leveling Kit
Old 08-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Postmaster

empiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to all
here is the one I have been using:

Whale Gulper 220 Diaphragm Pump — 12 Volt DC, Model# HD1552 | 12 Volt Pumps | Northern Tool + Equipment

it will pump up anything. I suck the oil off the top of my collection barrels so I don't suck up too much junk. It's not very fast but works well.

Sometimes I use this one:

Tuthill Diesel Fuel Transfer Pump — 12 Volt, 10 GPM, Model# FR1612 | DC Powered Pumps | Northern Tool + Equipment

It's a lot faster, but I have to use a screen on the suction hose (gets plugged a lot) and only has a 30 minute duty cycle. It might be the same one you mentioned. I am trying to reserve it just for moving my finished bio.

I rigged up a connection that goes into the plug on the back of my truck. That works ok, but I have since started carrying an extra battery along with my. Makes it so much easier.

Please, do not text & drive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRwfq7Igvxc

-David
Old 08-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Elder User

Thanks. Yeah, the FR1612 is basically the 1604 without all the hoses, pump handles, filters, etc.

I'm currently looking at the Redline Pump series.

http://www.redlinepumps.com/heavyduty12voltpumps.html

They're a little pricey at $600 and up, but they're beasts. I've actually heard of a guy using the just the Redline pump and hooked it up to a 5HP Briggs & Stratton engine. That would be a little difficult to move around, unless you left the whole contraption on the truck or trailer.

Banks Six Gun with PDA Banks Monster Exhaust Banks Intake EGR Delete Kit ARP Headstuds 2005 Grille 305/70/16 BFGoodrich ATKO tires Westin Bull Nose with 6" KC Slimlights ICON Vehicle Dynamics Leveling Kit
Old 08-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Postmaster

empiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to all
i don't think i'd spend that much unless I was collecting a lot of oil.

my dad and I are currently toying with the idea of turning an old air compressor we have laying around into a vacuum pump. It sits on an 80 gallon vertical tank and there really wouldn't be much to the conversion.

that way we can go to each locations and suck the oil and all the junk out of the barrels.

-David
Old 08-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The vacuum method has several advocates here. Many use old refrigerator compressors to draw it.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Senior User

firemediceric is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phydeaux88 View Post
The vacuum method has several advocates here. Many use old refrigerator compressors to draw it.
Here's some pix of my Super Sucker EricandRobyn - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting (Sorry, couldn't figure out how to post just the Super Sucker pics.)

It may not look pretty, but 120 gallons in 15 minutes is a beautiful thing.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Elder User

The Super Sucker sounds really interesting. Are there plans online for the setup? We currently have 5-6 restaurants we are servicing, but that is going to increase very fast in a month since we have a couple of school districts with about 20 campuses total, each having a kitchen.

Thanks!
TX

Old 08-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Senior User

firemediceric is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXHillCountry View Post
The Super Sucker sounds really interesting. Are there plans online for the setup? We currently have 5-6 restaurants we are servicing, but that is going to increase very fast in a month since we have a couple of school districts with about 20 campuses total, each having a kitchen.

Thanks!
TX
I'm jealous of all the WVO you're swimming in. I wish I had so many sources.

Google Murphy's Machines or look for him on info-pop. He sells plans. I built mine without any plans, just some searching on the various forums. If you look up my screen name on Frybrid you'll find a long thread that was a huge help to me. I didn't author the thread, but I posted to it.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:57 PM
Post Fiend

tjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to all
Super suckers for the win!! Mine is pretty much just like FiremedicEric's just used different materials.

120 gallon Propane tank, 50 foot of PVC clear flexible hose, top hose with stand pipe for getting oil out, and 12 volt vacuum pump now mounted to the tank with a plug in the back of my truck on a switch. The same pump with switching hose pressurizes the tank in minutes and pushes oil out of the standpipe into the hose. 55 gallons in or out in minutes.

Now sure how well it will work in Michigan winters but if this won't suck it up neither will a pump. I have about $200 invested in this. 75% of that is the hose and cam locks.

I got the pump off ebay for $35. Murphy sells them for over $100. Tank was traded for scrap metal I was bringing into the scrap yard. Now I just need more barrels that are full to suck up!

AD's, IC, Rear Disc, OBA, Tuned by Tony Built by me!

Transmission by Racer X!

Old 08-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Elder User

Wow, those look great guys. I'm just now learning of these, so I apologize in advance for all the questions.

Do you pull a vacuum on the tank in advance of collecting oil, and if so, how long does it take, or do you run the vacuum pump while sucking the oil?

Thanks!
TX

Old 08-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Post Fiend

tjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to all
Yes I pull vacuum prior (driving to) collecting oil. I pull it down to 20-25 in hg and shut it off then stick the PVC wand into the oil and open both valve on the collection hose. Then pressurize to 10 psi to push the oil when you get home.

I don't run the pump with the collection valves open cause I am afraid of sucking oil into the pump.

AD's, IC, Rear Disc, OBA, Tuned by Tony Built by me!

Transmission by Racer X!

Old 08-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Postmaster

i am thinking of a different design. I am planning on changing the head on the old compressor (surface mount one way valves) and have it run of a little BS gas motor @ 1725rpm. I will have it completely separate from the 80 gallon tank that way I can use it to fill any tank.

we have been changing a few barrels every month because of all the junk collecting at the bottom. the way i have it figured, the design of this pump will be able to suck the barrels clean.

-David
Old 08-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Senior User

TchTchr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXHillCountry View Post
but that is going to increase very fast in a month since we have a couple of school districts with about 20 campuses total, each having a kitchen.

Thanks!
TX
The school where I teach took out the deep fryer last year. I guess its our fault for childhood obesity.

Vehicles:

2001 F-250 CC - Vegistroke, many performance goodies - scary fast off the line

1981 Mercedes 300TDT - greasecar conversion, what a highway cruiser!

1963 Chevy II - bone stock - restored (by me), my grandpa bought new, my first car (1980) - my baby
Old 08-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Postmaster

SkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant future
The vacuum sucker wins, hands down. Almost impossible to have a spill collecting, silent (for those of us who don't like attracting attention), and no pump required for discharge either! - just a little compressed air. I try to filter each time I move the oil, a little finer each time. Its nice to have mega-pressure (125psi) if you want for pushin' thru a filter. (make sure hoses and filter can take that!!)

I know of a few guys using engine vacuum (gas truck) or trucks vac system to pull tank down on the way to collect. I use a 5 cfm A/C vac pump just 'cause I have it!

After vac, I think I like the SBC oil pump. Check out Daryl's write up: DIY, How to make a SBC veg-oil pump for cheap - Forums

Cool thing is its waaaay cheap and can be powered by whatever ya got laying around.

When I'm out of town (I work all over US) I use a 1", 1HP, 4 cycle Honda pump for collection, transfer, filtering, etc. I have had cheap garden hose on discharge side and use hose adapters on different filters for easy switchin'.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Postmaster

How do you guys clean out those propane tanks?

That is one of the reasons I am using a vertical tank- of course, my idea is all together different.

-David
Old 08-15-2008, 01:31 PM