2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4x4 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 11:58 PM
rival904
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 Problems

Couple of questions:
  • I notice in 4H or 4L, if I turn somewhat hard, it feels like somethings binding and stops the truck. What could cause this? CV axles?
  • And also if I am in 2WD or 4WD and accelerate hard on dirt/grass/whatever, anything that I loose traction on, my truck makes popping noises, like its coming from underneath my feet almost. Any ideas?
I only got 48k miles on my truck is that helps.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:33 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
your avatar is awesome.

1. when you feel the binding, are you on pavement?
being in 4x4 will naturally restrict your turn radius. instead of pushing the front wheels, you are now pulling with them. it is normal to have a larger turning radius. it gets worse in 4x4lo. try not to turn as hard and take wider sweeping turns.

the popping sound most likely is the wheel spinning due to pent up torque. the outer tire is spinning more than the inside tire and this develops driveline torque. to compensate, the inner tire will occasionally spin and this causes a bump/hop/pop

that's why you should never ever use 4x4 on pavement. the pavement provides too much traction. this prevents the wheels from being able to release the built up torque in the driveline...the torque has to go somewhere...usually it will break a hub or u-joint.
2. in 2wd, you should never hear popping from the front when the wheels are spinning out back
as described above in #1, it is normal to hear popping occasionaly while in 4x4. not alot though

you might want to see if your IWE's are working properly. especially if you are hearing popping noises in 4x4 and 4x2
1. jack up the front wheels.
2. turn on the truck. the front hubs should be dis-engaged.
3. spin both front wheels
4. watch the cv joints/halfshafts while you spin the front wheels
if the halfshafts spin, your IWE is messed up.