Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help! F-350 Home-Made Lift?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 01:31 AM
Prozon
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help! F-350 Home-Made Lift?

Hey! This is my first time posting, looks like a great website and I hope to get more involved.

I have a '88 F-350 that I wheel with and was wondering if anyone could tell me what needs to be done to lift my rig 8 inches. I'm on a low budget. Which is why I would prefer something home-made.

I've heard of putting blocks on the leaf springs and getting bigger u-bolts to increase the lift, but it seems an 8 inch block is a bit much.

I know i'll need to buy new shocks and things like that, but I would prefer not buy a lift kit for a few hundred dollars! (Just to make my point, I can't FIND an 8 inch suspension lift anywhere.)

Is there anything I can build that will allow more lift? The truck has leaf springs all around. Pictures would be nice, but whatever help you can give is appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2008, 03:45 AM
Truckin4life
Street Queen to the extr3m3
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lift blocks are a bad idea in general, they cause axle wrap, which is not a good thing.

Goin with an 8 inch lift. what size tires are you running, What motor/trans you got and what gears are in the axles?

There is much more to look at here than just the lift.

But to answer the original question, Ive heard good things about SKY 4" drop brackets and do a shackle flip in the rear that will net you 4" get some 4" lift springs and there is your lift, but your going to need longer break lines, steering will need extension (sorry my brain wont tell me what you need to extend)

On to tires with a 8" lift your lookin at about 38-40" tires to fill that much gap,
So Big one, GEARS, 4.88"s at the least, assuming you have a strong motor, if not. 5.13"s for you, figure on about 1500-2000k for the set installed.

With that big of tires, Breaks will need an upgrade, probably disc all the way around, if you plan on keepin it on the street anyway.

Steering will become very difficult also, hydo assist will probably be a good idea.

Thas just the basics. 8" on the cheap, really aint easy, or safe.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:51 AM
Truckin4life
Street Queen to the extr3m3
Lift blocks are a bad idea in general, they cause axle wrap, which is not a good thing.

Goin with an 8 inch lift. what size tires are you running, What motor/trans you got and what gears are in the axles?

There is much more to look at here than just the lift.

But to answer the original question, Ive heard good things about SKY 4" drop brackets and do a shackle flip in the rear that will net you 4" get some 4" lift springs and there is your lift, but your going to need longer break lines, steering will need extension (sorry my brain wont tell me what you need to extend)

On to tires with a 8" lift your lookin at about 38-40" tires to fill that much gap,
So Big one, GEARS, 4.88"s at the least, assuming you have a strong motor, if not. 5.13"s for you, figure on about 1500-2000k for the set installed.

With that big of tires, Breaks will need an upgrade, probably disc all the way around, if you plan on keepin it on the street anyway.

Steering will become very difficult also, hydo assist will probably be a good idea.

Thas just the basics. 8" on the cheap, really aint easy, or safe.

BTW welcome to FTE. It was a good site.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:59 AM
Flatdeck
Senior User
You cannot use blocks in the front. If you are unable find an 8" lift "kit" you can get custom springs made at a spring shop.

In addition to what Truckin4life stated, you'll also need a pitman arm and a trackbar relocation bracket (assuming you have a solid front axle and not TTB). Also you may need to extend your driveshafts. And there may be other things as well; I'm not familiar with your generation of truck.

I know you stated you are on a budget. As Truckin4Life stated, lifting a truck 8" isn't just springs and shocks. I suggest waiting until you have the means to do it properly; this will result in a safer vehicle and a better driving experience for you.

Btw, if you are installing gears, you should also be installing lockers while everything's apart and rebuilding the axles (save on labor).

Old 08-10-2008, 09:53 AM
82F100SWB
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
What size tires are you planning on running on this truck? 40's will fit comfortably with a 6", and 44's would not be a big stretch, just some trimming if anything. Heck, I'm running 38.5's on my 86 with just a 3" BL(roughly equivalent to a 4" suspension)...

Old 08-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Tre-E_Ford
Senior User
what type of wheeling do you do? my final answer is cut fenders and since you don't have money, and you really want to lift it, get a body lift, with grade 8 hardware, but then again thats like 150 bucks. NEVER EVER USE BLOCKS IN THE FRONT!

Old 08-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
I couldn't find an edit button or I would have put this in the first post:

I am planning on running 38's and I will need 8 inches. I don't mind a little fender trimming, but I can't do much without removing my fender wells, or at least relocating them. I still want the overall ride to be higher.

The truck has a big block 460ci. Which I may swap a little later for a rebuilt one.

High Pinion Dana 60 Reverse in front. 10.25 Sterling Rear, Running 4.10 Gears.

The truck has 33" tires right now. Its used for mud holes and hill climbs. Only trouble I ever have is getting high centered in the ruts from when the big trucks came through. Occasionally i'll go in water, but this isnt really a concern for tire size.

Now to those people who suggested getting leaf springs made, that sounds like a good idea except I have no idea where to find a shop that does that.

And I won't mind spending some money to lift this. But I can't find an 8 inch suspension lift ANYWHERE.

Most lift places i've checked with do not have an '88 F-350.

Just to let you know my truck LOOKS like an F-250 thats lifted slightly. It has a bed from a F-150. (Used to have a utility box that was busted up, dad took it off to swap and sold to me because he didnt like the lift.)

Well all in all thats an answer to all questions. (I hope!) I don't mind spending some money, I just don't want to spend $800 on a lift I can buy the parts seperatly and build what I need.

I understand I will need to modify things for my steering, brakelines, driveshaft ect ect.

Thanks again!

Old 08-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Epd444
Elder User
You don't need an 8'' lift to run 38's. I have a 97 with a 6'' and run 38'' TSL's and I'm not hardcore wheeler (F350 is too big for trails around here), they don't rub and I have room to flex. I just run here through the mud though- no trails for me

Old 08-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
What kind of flex do you have? Like I said I do alot of hill climbs, and usually they are dug in quite a bit from people who didnt make it. I need quite a bit of flex on it.

But thats two people saying a 6" will work for me. Which is something i'll look into!

Old 08-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Epd444
Elder User
6" will definitly work then you can do some trimming. I don't really flex my truck out a whole lot, its still no mall crawler. I don't have any flexing pics to show you though.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:52 AM
82F100SWB
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
This is basicly stock suspension, front is non-flexy as I have yet to go to F350 springs from the TTB ones(I'll probably gain an inch or so there,) and the rear only has the F250 2" block rather than the F350 block, so it's a little low.
http://www.bigblocksix.com/f100swb/f...08/flexed1.jpg
http://www.bigblocksix.com/f100swb/f...08/flexed3.jpg
http://www.bigblocksix.com/f100swb/f...romupsala2.jpg
In those pics, it's 3" BL on the cab only and just some sawz-all work on the bed.. Right now it's sitting with no bed at all and the frame in 2 halfs, it's going short bed....

Tires are 38.5" Boggers. You should have no issues with a 6" lift, and you might even find that a 4" is plenty.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:28 AM
Prozon
Postmaster
Well thank you! I'll look into it. I know for sure I can find a 4 or 6 inch lift.

I was told that I would need an 8 inch lift.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:57 PM
oneofakind97
Senior User
you're definitley gonna need longer d-shafts all around with any lift larger than 6". my top speed on my f350 is like 65 until i get driveline vibrations. i already nearly grenaded the rear ujoint (caught it just in time), but when add my shackle flip/reversal, longer d-shafts will be next on the list.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:07 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

first thing on this page plus a 4" kit should set you up.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:38 PM
master_mechanic
Senior User
my 84 f-250 is sitting on f-350 axles with a 6 inch skyjacker lift kit and it fits 38's just fine... i'm running with a 460 and 4.10's and it seems just fine dont go too steep on the grearing... look for any lift kit for 86-96 f-250 and f-350 all these kits will fit your truck... I had to drop my hanger bearing down two inches in order to keep everything in like, you will need longer break likes and a drop pitman arm, i also installed a rear shaft that was an inch longer, and i got a new front shaft made, you should have the exact same setup as my truck.... you could be ok with your front shaft if it has the double u-joint right at the case...

Last edited by master_mechanic; 08-16-2008 at 07:46 PM. Reason: needed to add more

Quick Reply: Need help! F-350 Home-Made Lift?