Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What's the deal with the tailgate lock?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 07:39 PM
gatorshooter
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What's the deal with the tailgate lock?

OK, This may be a stupid question but here goes. When I shut my tail gate two or three times it automatically goes into lock mode. SO I got to go shut my truck off and unlock it then its good for two or three times opening and closing and then it does it again.... I did go and have a spare key made and put it on my other key ring so I don't have to keep shutting and starting my truck. but Is this normal or is there something wrong? I have been driving a bowtie truck for a while, so this is my first ford truck since I drove my dads 79 supercab in highschool. It is a 2000 F350 4x4 CC, long bed with the 7.3L.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:44 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Welcome to the club!

I didn't know that the tailgates lock automatically? I wonder if from shutting it so many times that it works itself into lock?? Maybe something has worked loose inside.

At least yours works! I got a tonneau cover for my truck a year ago and thought that it was great that the tailgate was lockable, that way I could lock it up and no one could get into the back end. But I can't get the keylock to turn!

Old 08-08-2008, 07:51 PM
gatorshooter
Freshman User
I pulled all the guts out and cleaned them to see if anything was broke and all looks OK. But It still does it. Its a minor annoyance but when I'm trying to load the dogs it is a pain in the .... to have to pull my keys out. I got soaked in the rain just a few hours ago beacuse It was locked when I was trying to get my Lab to load up. Of course If I didn't have it jacked up I wouldn't have to lift him up into the back!

Old 08-08-2008, 07:52 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by farmb0y
Welcome to the club!

I didn't know that the tailgates lock automatically? I wonder if from shutting it so many times that it works itself into lock?? Maybe something has worked loose inside.

At least yours works! I got a tonneau cover for my truck a year ago and thought that it was great that the tailgate was lockable, that way I could lock it up and no one could get into the back end. But I can't get the keylock to turn!

^^^^^^ what he said..word for word...

Old 08-08-2008, 08:08 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Mine acts the same way. Works when it wants to. Hate it, don't know what to expect. Want to rip the guts out for good. But with my luck someone will steal it so i leave it alone.(or will be the time it didn't lock and they walk off with it) I just got used to carrying my keys to it when i am going to open it. (need key or don't you) I think with mine it depends how hard i slam it shut.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:20 PM
gatorshooter
Freshman User
OK so I'm hearing that this is Normal but annoying! I'm thinking of installing a spring to hold it up so it won't lock unless I make it. If this works I'll post the fix. May get some time to play with it Sunday.

Wish me luck scotty, I'm going In!
GS

Old 08-08-2008, 08:20 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Mine did that. It ended up being dirt and gunk on the latch mechanism preventing the pivot from reaching the full "unlock" position. I pulled the latch mechanism out of the tailgate and cleaned it up with a wire wheel on a dremmel tool. It's been fine for the last 8 months or so.

Before

After

You'll notice the round disc looking thing didn't pivot all the way down in the first picture when turning the key. I spent an hour debating with myself about adding some lubricant to the slide portion fearing it would pick up dust and cause it to stick again. In the end I added a couple of drops to help it move freely, and so far so good.

You'll need to remove the inspection plate cover from inside the tailgate to access this. If you have a spray in bedliner, you'll need to use a razor knife to cut the liner around this plate and the screws.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:29 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by farmb0y
But I can't get the keylock to turn!
Take it apart and have a look at it. See if the key turns with the handle removed from the tailgate so you know if it's the lock cylinder or the mechanism it attaches too. There's a good chance it just needs to be taken apart and the little lever on the back of the cylinder needs to be rotated. It may have turned too far one time and is not jammed on the wrong side of the mechanism.

Here's what the back of the lock cylinder looks like.

Not that much to it.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:30 PM
gatorshooter
Freshman User
Thanks for the PICS and the help. I'll pull it apart again and wire wheel it to see it this makes it work right. Last time I just hosed it down with some Pent. oil. and wiped it off.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:36 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
I tried to wipe mine down first, but the gunk I had on there didn't want to come off. You can see the difference the dremmel made on mine. Let us know if this works for you.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:01 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Yea. thanks from me also, again chris. you da man.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:31 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I didnt realize there was so little to these locks. Mine has never worked either, but it looks like its time to yank er apart and check her out!

Thanks for the pics dude, reps sent.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:26 PM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine didn't work at first when I got it 2 1/2 years ago, wouldn't even turn. Hosed it down in the key-hole with wd40 and things worked loose and now it locks ok with the key like it's suppose to.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:41 PM
deereman4020
Postmaster
chris you shoulda used powdered graphite then ya wouldnt of had to worry about dust and it sticking

Old 08-09-2008, 06:29 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by deereman4020
chris you shoulda used powdered graphite then ya wouldnt of had to worry about dust and it sticking

Yea I know Jacob, but you know what it's like to live in the middle of nowhere. I didn't have any on hand and figured I'd use a little oil since I would have to put it together and take it apart again if I made a run to get some.

It's lasted this long, but I'll use the graphite if it starts locking itself again.

Quick Reply: What's the deal with the tailgate lock?