Bronco II Ford Bronco II

Fuel Pump Blues!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 08:25 PM
fenix1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pump Blues!

HELP!!! Went to replace IN TANK Pump. Nuts on the skid plate turned with the bolt...No way to get a backup on em' unless ya pull the bumper. Looks like it takes "an act of Congress" to get the rear bumper off. Soooo, anybody ever cut a sqaure plate out of the floor of the hatch ABOVE the fuel pump and pull the pump that way. Thought maybe a grinder and a water hose might save alot of time. Any ideas would be appreciated!

88' Bronco II, 2.9ltr-5spd, Auto Hubs
31X10.5X15 Mud Kings
Noble, LA.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:33 AM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If you remove the plastic valance between the bumper and body you can get to the nuts.

No need to pull the bumper.

If the body is a rag, yea I'd just cut a access through the floor and then patch it.

Another option is to cut the bolts with a torch if you or a buddy has one that is.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:13 AM
fenix1
Senior User
Fuel Pump

Decided to cut a plate out of the hatch floor...sure glad I did! Got my son to spray water on the tank while I took a grinder and cut a 12" plate out above the fuel pump. Took 12 minutes. Took 15 minutes to clean dirt and grit off and away from the locking ring and sending unit
and pull the pump. Took 15 minutes to assemble and re-install pump assembly and lock ring. All told less than an hour. Definitely the easiest way to change out a pump on this BII. BUT, it DIDN'T need a pump! Happens that the female Plug(4 terminals)that connects to the sending unit was "loose as a goose" and was dried out and cracked. Wasn't getting good contact. I broke the plug into pieces with my hands! I took the 4 terminals and mashed them with a pair of pliers and then put them on the male plug and then had my son turn the key on. Voila! it works! Put the old pump in the shed for a spare. Think i'm gonna put some clear silicone sealant on and under and around the wires so as to keep them from moving or touching each other and to keep them dry and from corroding. Think it'll work. Truck had been sitting for 4 months till I finally got some more heads and put on it. After putting on the heads I thought the fuel pump had died...wasn't getting any fuel at the Schraeder valve. Anyways, she's running now! Took a spin today. Man, I didn't realize how much I LUV that little truck till today!

Old 08-09-2008, 01:13 AM
fenix1
Senior User
Fuel Pump

Decided to cut a plate out of the hatch floor...sure glad I did! Got my son to spray water on the tank while I took a grinder and cut a 12" plate out above the fuel pump. Took 12 minutes. Took 15 minutes to clean dirt and grit off and away from the locking ring and sending unit
and pull the pump. Took 15 minutes to assemble and re-install pump assembly and lock ring. All told less than an hour. Definitely the easiest way to change out a pump on this BII. BUT, it DIDN'T need a pump! Happens that the female Plug(4 terminals)that connects to the sending unit was "loose as a goose" and was dried out and cracked. Wasn't getting good contact. I broke the plug into pieces with my hands! I took the 4 terminals and mashed them with a pair of pliers and then put them on the male plug and then had my son turn the key on. Voila! it works! Put the old pump in the shed for a spare. Think i'm gonna put some clear silicone sealant on and under and around the wires so as to keep them from moving or touching each other and to keep them dry and from corroding. Think it'll work. Truck had been sitting for 4 months till I finally got some more heads and put on it. After putting on the heads I thought the fuel pump had died...wasn't getting any fuel at the Schraeder valve. Anyways, she's running now! Took a spin today. Man, I didn't realize how much I LUV that little truck till today!

Old 08-09-2008, 01:14 AM
fenix1
Senior User
Fuel Pump

Old 08-09-2008, 08:09 PM
lawnboy58
Junior User
Thats how I did my fuel pump, after replacing one by pulling the tank. Won't ever pull the tank again. I've found the in tank pumps from the parts store don't seem to last very long, someone on here said the factory ford pumps are better but i haven't tried one yet.