Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

1955 C600

Old 08-12-2008, 11:54 AM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the update. Sounds like you're making progress...

Old 08-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Blue Bomber
Elder User
that truck is awesome!!! i love COE trucks! keep us updated.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:11 PM
pyramid head
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you, and I will keep the updates rolling. I just got a new (junkyard find) carburetor for it today off a '56 F600 in poor shape. The bottom plate on mine leaks something wicked, and my mothers boyfriend suggested that I should just find another carburetor to replace it. $40 and here I am with the new one, tomorrow we will try her out after some minor cleanup.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:38 PM
pyramid head
Junior User
I am at a stand still waiting for a carburetor rebuild kit. I was able to order it through Autozone the other day, so it should be available in a few days.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:15 PM
wlptmp
Freshman User
good luck with them'
carb kits are almost a thing of the past
i remeber when we had about a 100 kits in stock
today probaly look at you like "whats a carb kit?"

Old 08-23-2008, 09:08 PM
pyramid head
Junior User
Well, I got the kit and the carburetor has been fully cleaned in a chemical dip and re-assembled. shes ready to be put on tomorrow. I have been in a pinch for time lately, hard to get anything done at all.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Blue Bomber
Elder User
if you cant get anything do, just post pics!!!!!!!

Old 08-25-2008, 02:06 PM
pyramid head
Junior User
So the truck has some goofy looking rims on it, they seem to have the structure of the super death ones from the cross sections I've seen. We got it running today, and it now idles on its own. We still have not made it start on its own, and it quit on us after about 6 minutes of run time. The back of the intake had some condensation on it... and a valve or something is sticking. The engine is skipping a bit, nothing that can't be fixed. I drained the old oil and put fresh stuff in it, SAE 30 and I also blew out the gas filter, which was not too dirty. The oil in it before was very thin and had the smell of gas. When we got it running before there was no oil pressure, but this time after the oil change it went up to around 40 pounds. Slowly but surely progress is being made. Now for some pictures!

Old 08-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Blue Bomber
Elder User
not bad!! keep it going. it would be awesome to cruse around in that!!

Old 08-25-2008, 08:50 PM
pyramid head
Junior User
The truck will not be cruising for some time, and it is pretty slow. I think the two speed rear end motor is junk, or the switch is, because it did nothing when my stepfather tried it out. I am guessing the truck is stuck in low range, making it so slow. The best part of today was riding in it, because there is certainly more to the truck than what I was expecting. The transmission does not go into second very easy, so I want to guess that double clutching is needed. The VIN plate did not note the tranny as being a SYN unit, which is why I am thinking about double clutching.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:42 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Well sometimes progress is slow, but it sounds like you're getting there. As for the two speed motor, just remove it and you will see that it isn't really that complicated to shift it. Just make sure you move the motor tab also. I can't tell by your pics if the 2sp motor is electric or vacuum. If it's electric check the fuses and connections, if it's vacuum check for leaks. Also, are you shifting the rear properly? The torque has to be released in order for it to shift. Sometimes when these motors sit for awhile they corrode and stick.

About the transmission, a lot of the trucks of this era had transmissions with a low and a first, so what you may be thinking is second may be actually first. I had a 57' that had vacuum rear motor with a 4sp. w/low crashbox [no syncro's]tranny. So it's a crap shoot until you get into it. Good luck, and thanks for the update!!!

Old 08-26-2008, 08:33 AM
pyramid head
Junior User
well, the rear end uses a 6V motor, and there is a 8V battery in the truck...could be the motor is burned up from the higher voltage. I will take it apart after we get the truck running right. Now, in the rear end would high range be with the mechanism up or down? We have replaced a two speed motor before, and the mechanism was pretty simple.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:27 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
When you remove the motor, just move the lever to the opposite position from where it is now. Make sure you move the motor to the corresponding position before reinstalling. If the motor is stuck, just make sure that when you adjust it that you can freely put it back on the rear. If you get it too far you may have too much pressure on the clutch gear which will result in damage to it and/ or the planetary gears.

If you have never manually shifted a rear with the motor off the rear, just put the tranny in neutral, wiggle the drive shaft back and fourth while moving the lever. It should shift smoothly, and you will feel it set. I have used a zip-tie to hold the lever in position and drove the truck slowly a few feet to check what range it is in.

Also something a lot of folks look over is the axle fluid, if it is in bad condition or worse, has water in it the clutch gear will stick and not want to shift.

Edit!!!! Don't Forget To Chock Them Wheels !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 08:09 AM
vintage56
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
man, this one came in under the radar!

I'm checking out your truck from the link off the yahoo group. Gorgeous truck, great find! I will do my best to curb my envy and remain civil. I see those interior shots and realize how blessed I am to be a southerner!

I have a 55 F-350 that has the t98 that I'm parting out. Save my contact info in case you come across something you need, I might be able to help.

Congratulations on having such a cool truck.

JML

Old 08-30-2008, 12:22 PM
pyramid head
Junior User
We are pulling the intake off soon, and I will need a intake gasket without a doubt. We have an idea now what might have caused the frost on the intake. I might have to hit up Joblot...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1955 C600