6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Qustion about fines for dpf deletes

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 11:10 PM
GM243
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qustion about fines for dpf deletes

Was wondering if anyone know what the fine is for running without the dpf on your truck? Has anyone heard of anybody getting ticketed yet? I am wondering because i am getting my spartan with dpf delete in a few days. Need to know if i gotta take it easy around town with the smoke and stuff.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:12 AM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
Here is what a friend of mine told me, he's a Sheriff.

You can get pulled over if:
1. The vehicle blows smoke for more than 5 consecutive seconds.
2. The smoke lingers for more than 10 seconds.

Obviously a very vague description that gives police a lot of leeway when it comes to pulling someone over because of smoke. He also said that he doesn't know of any law enforcement division that is actively seeking diesel emission offenders.

This doesn't mean that there isn't that one ***** cop out there willing to write a ticket for 1 mile over the speed limit, but odds are if you are stopped by law enforcement the most likely outcome would be a "fix-it-ticket".

This might only apply to Texas, or even just the portion of Texas I live in. No telling, but I wouldn't be too worried. I haven't seen a single post online from someone claiming to have been fined for a removed DPF.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:45 AM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
The EPA has said it will begin random testing at some point, but it may only affect commercial vehicles at first. Since you are in Kali, I'm sure your state will adopt mandatory emissions testing for all diesels before any other state does.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:51 AM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Under federal law they can fine the consumer up to $2,500 per violation. This means that each nonstock aftermarket engine/exhaust part (with out a E.O. number) installed or factory emissions related part that is tampered with can be considered its own violation. Individual state (California comes to mind) and local laws can add to those fines...

Dealers and manufacturers face much higher fines and this is why the main focus at this time is on them rather than the general public. Lately, Ford has been stressing this point to their dealers. Here is a example...

FUEL ECONOMY & AFTERMARKET MODIFICATIONS
In this era of $4 per gallon gasoline and diesel fuel, many of our customers will be subject to sales pitches touting devices that allegedly increase fuel economy or provide a simple alternative fuel solution. Please discourage installation of any such aftermarket equipment. Be aware that any Dealer that removes, modifies, or renders inoperative any emissions system, or installs aftermarket parts that cause the vehicle to no longer meet emissions standards may be subject to federal penalties of up to $32,500 per vehicle, whether before or after the sale or lease of the vehicle.

Conversion kits are illegal to sell in California without a CARB certification, known as an Executive Order (E.O.), and may additionally subject the Dealer to penalties of up to $5,000 per vehicle. Other State penalties may also apply. Even if an aftermarket kit is certified, many aftermarket kits still cause damage to the vehicle that may not be covered by Ford's warranties. Ford recommends that dealers do not install or sell these aftermarket kits to avoid penalties and causing vehicles to lose their Ford warranty coverage.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Demolition
Senior User
Spoke to an FHP on this and he said that if you are smoking someone out or it is excessive (his discretion) he will pull you over to do a vehicle saftey check and check to see if your exhaust is altered. They cannot pull you over without reason, so the safety check thing works well by claiming your tail lights flickered.

They can issue warnings or fines on the alteration. Basically, he said if you are being a jerk, or treat him badly when pulled over, you will get the ticket. I wish I had asked how much the fine was.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:39 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know people that have been pulled over for excessive smoke but were never given a ticket, just a warning. In each case they were intentionally blowing smoke not realizing that Andy Griffith was watching from a distance. No road side inspections either but we dont have emmissions testing anymore so maybe thats why.

Got a friend with a 7.3 and over size injectors. This thing smokes like a train all the time. Hook a trailer to it and you cant see behind him. He had a sherriff behind him last weekend and the smoke was so bad that the sherriff had to switch lanes. However he never got pulled over. I think it just depends on if you are goofing off or playing it cool.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:59 PM
GM243
Freshman User
Well I feel a lot better for now. Thanks for the feedback. I guess you just cant drive stupid. Shouldn't be a problem. thanks

Old 08-07-2008, 08:53 AM
richfaa
Elder User
If your State has emmission checking then the fine would be for a Missing DPF when the inspection is done. All the emmission system parts has to be on the vehicle for it to pass in Ohio ..I don't think Ohio has diesel emmission checking..

Old 08-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the LEO who pulls you over knows what he is looking at you are busted. My DPF is quite apparent just glancing at the bottom of the truck. It would be quite obvious if it was missing.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:32 PM
stroke this
Senior User
We used to knock out the inside of catalitic converters when they stopped up and put them back on so if anyone looked it would be in place. I wounder if you can do that with the DPF?

Originally Posted by Nipperdog
If the LEO who pulls you over knows what he is looking at you are busted. My DPF is quite apparent just glancing at the bottom of the truck. It would be quite obvious if it was missing.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stroke this
We used to knock out the inside of catalitic converters when they stopped up and put them back on so if anyone looked it would be in place. I wounder if you can do that with the DPF?
Do you really want to punch out a $1200+ DPF?

Old 08-08-2008, 02:15 PM
stroke this
Senior User
twhhhhhhhhhhhhjffdhhhhhhr

Last edited by stroke this; 08-08-2008 at 02:19 PM. Reason: double post
Old 08-08-2008, 02:17 PM
stroke this
Senior User
Sure, if I'm taking it out anyway.

Originally Posted by Lead Head
Do you really want to punch out a $1200+ DPF?

Old 08-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stroke this
Sure, if I'm taking it out anyway.
I'm saying, what if you do get pulled over, and what if your state starts doing inspections on diesels.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:41 PM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you can buy one that someone had taken off their truck, then I guess there's no issue w/ gutting the one you have. Just remember, if you do have to have a FUNCTIONAL DPF later, It'll cost you big $$$ for a new one.

Quick Reply: Qustion about fines for dpf deletes