Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition lock turns with ANY key?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 03:15 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Ignition lock turns with ANY key?

1995 F-250 PowerSmoke 4x4 5-speed, 145,000-ish miles

My wife just picked up the truck (no, not literally!). Dealer inadevertently gave us the second key from a different truck (what are the odds, they had TWO midnight blue '95 F250 regular cabs on the lot!). Key cuts are TOTALLY different. Only the "right" key will open the doors. But either key turns in the ignition. Eek!

I did a few searches, and didn't find anything exactly like this. I did find some references to the ignition lock turning with NO key. That's not the case here.

I frequent a "counterpart" Saturn forum, and evidently this is endemic to older Saturns (a factor in why they were one of the most stolen cars several years back). Some folks have reported some improvement with dry graphite-type lubes, or powdered mica (from a gun shop). Has anyone here had this happen, and tried any remedies like this (or any other)?

Old 08-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have you taken it apart? Are the tumblers/springs intact?

Old 08-05-2008, 04:23 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
No, we just picked the truck up last night (hit that near-tornado storm outside Chi.). I was thinking the tumblers might be pretty worn. But like I said, it doesn't turn all by itself; it needs A key in it.

Maybe you're onto something; they're worn or stuck, to the point where just one tumbler needs to be set by the key in order to turn. And that other key happens to match on that tumbler. I just talked to a guy at Kayser parts here in Madison, and he said that the ignition cylinder uses only part of the key cut, only 3 or 4 of the tumbler positions. And the door uses other positions. So it's possible this key, although it's wrong for the door, could be "right" for the ignition cylinder. This is starting to make sense, because I tried one of the keys from her '83 F150 in it, and it slid in, but did not turn the cylinder.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:10 PM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It makes it easier to start no?

Old 08-05-2008, 05:44 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by quaddriver
It makes it easier to start no?
A little TOO easy! That's our concern.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:49 PM
gweeds
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They get worn like this over time. When I bought my truck, the PO had left 3 keys in the glove box, all three work, and they are completely different. The key from my buddies f350 opens and runs my truck. All of my various keys open and run his truck...

Old 08-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
No, we just picked the truck up last night (hit that near-tornado storm outside Chi.). I was thinking the tumblers might be pretty worn. But like I said, it doesn't turn all by itself; it needs A key in it.

Maybe you're onto something; they're worn or stuck, to the point where just one tumbler needs to be set by the key in order to turn. And that other key happens to match on that tumbler. I just talked to a guy at Kayser parts here in Madison, and he said that the ignition cylinder uses only part of the key cut, only 3 or 4 of the tumbler positions. And the door uses other positions. So it's possible this key, although it's wrong for the door, could be "right" for the ignition cylinder. This is starting to make sense, because I tried one of the keys from her '83 F150 in it, and it slid in, but did not turn the cylinder.
How much did you cough it up for?

If it has lot of wear/miles, I bet that's what it is. Simply excessive wear. Mine was the same way; someone already replaced the ignition cylinder [was a fleet truck, so a lot of use]. My ignition key doesn't work on the doors. The locksmith's say does make sense. You never see much difference between the cuts of keys.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:20 PM
alz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When I replaced my ignition cylinder, I got one from AutoZone. The first one the guy brought out looked a little worn. So I asked for another. After I installed it, I tried my old key and it fit. The new keys and my old key were the same cut. The new keys wouldn't open the doors as there needs to be more cuts up higher on the key for those tumblers.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:04 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Jermafenser
How much did you cough it up for?
$5500. Usual rust for the vintage / latitude. No cataracts. Clean; good but not excellent maintenance (LF U-joint has a LOT of play, etc.).

Originally Posted by Jermafenser
IThe locksmith's say does make sense. You never see much difference between the cuts of keys.
Time to start researching a starter/ignition kill, methinks....

Originally Posted by alz
When I replaced my ignition cylinder, I got one from AutoZone. The first one the guy brought out looked a little worn. So I asked for another. After I installed it, I tried my old key and it fit. The new keys and my old key were the same cut. The new keys wouldn't open the doors as there needs to be more cuts up higher on the key for those tumblers.
A WORN, NEW cylinder at AutoStoned? Eek! Yeah, I noticed the same thing with the two keys, which part had the same cuts, and which were diff. A bit unnerving, how little it takes to hotfinger these trucks.

Thanks for the info, folks.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:20 AM
alz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The tumbler part wasn't worn. The black paint on the outer part was chipped. If I would have taken that one, my key would not have worked. The replacement key and my old key had the same cut on the end. The upper cut is for the the doors. The new key only has the ignition cut into it, not cut for the doors. Could take to locksmith and have him cut the door section into new key to match.