Air install, just a couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 03:08 PM
gouie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air install, just a couple of questions

Hey guys,

I've thrown together a crude CAD of my planned air install. Please let me know if I'm on the right track. The box on the frame will contain the compressor and all valves. This way they'll be enclosed and out of the elements. A couple of questions I have are:

1.) It's obvious from the diagram that the plan is to join the airbags. I'd like to keep them separate but can't wrap my head around the use of a check valve. Yes, installing a check valve before each bag will keep them separate and allow for filling from one valve. However, I don't know how to incorporate a check to be used when deflating without using two valves. Also, if using a check valve, that would mean a separate pressure gauge for each bag to get an accurate reading (a gauge would be needed after each check valve.)

2.) I'll be using 3/8" line, with 1/4" to the gauge, sound good?

3.) Any harm in placing the dump valve that far away from the tank? I would run a hose from the dump valve outside of the enclosed box. As long as the hose can handle the max pressure of the tank I should be o.k.?

4.) I can't seem to find a pressure release valve for the tank. I'll be buying most of the material from suicide doors. Any thoughts?

I know I'm probably missing a ton of stuff so your input would be appreciated. FYI, I didn't put the switches in the diagram. I'll be using the upliffters that came with the truck.

CAD

Old 08-05-2008, 03:26 PM
c.f.moore
Senior User
If this is going on your F350, I think your over engineering the system. If your just going to inflate and deflate the air bags for towing/hauling, why not just set up the bags with individual air valve/stems. Setup your compressor, storage tank, and air gauge. Run a line from your tank to a quick disconnect (mounted with a bulkhead fitting). That way you can use a tight coil air hose for filling the bags and running air tools. All you need then is a drain valve on the tank for emptying the system. Super simple and very cost effective. All air line parts and fittings can be found at any good hardware store, or truck stop.

I've had a simple system for over two years, without any problems. I adjust my air bags and rear tires whenever I tow the 5thwheel. Up for towing, down for running around, then backup for towing home, and down again for normal driving.

Good luck.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:38 PM
gouie
New User
The system will be used primarily for the bags, but I need the onboard air for inflating tires, etc as well. The bags are installed and I've been using the manual method for a few months now but "need" something more automated. I tow every weekend during the summer months and cannot run at tow inflation when dry. The manual method is growing on me fast! I guess the way I look at it is, if you're going to go to the trouble of installing the components, you might as well add some fittings and valves for a few extra bucks. Utilizing the upliffters will allow me to power off the compressor when not in use as well.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:52 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
The longer the run, the more delay there will be in pressure moving. Because air is compressible, it may take a second or so for your gauge to register a change.

I think your over complicating this install. As I see it you need three solenoids for your set up and no check valves. One solenoid opens to air from your tank/compressor travels to the bags. One solenoid opens so air from your bags escape to the environment. I am not totally sure why you want a dump valve, but a third solenoid could open the tank to the environment. You can bypass the third solenoid by activating the first two, air would circulate from the tank to bags to the environment.

If you want to play with this, you can put a dump solenoid at each bag and check valves from the supply to each bag. So you have to fill them both at the same time, but you can dump pressure from each individually.

You can tee off the tank at any point for external fittings. Something like this would be how I would do it. It's not as pretty as your drawing.