1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Tranny fluid/rear differential change list (what did I forget)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:01 PM
tndiesel
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny fluid/rear differential change list (what did I forget)?

Gonna change my tranny/differential fluid, here is my list of what I need: Add or delete as necessary.

1. Tranny fluid 12 qts.? Exactly what kind?
2. Tranny filter, where do I get it?
3. Lube guard to put in with tranny fluid?
4. Gear oil, 90 wt. or 75 wt. how much? My rear end code is D5
5. brake cleaner for differential and tranny pan cleaning-(normal shop rags)?
6. silicone for differential cover when putting back on. What kind of silicone?
7. Friction additive for differential? What kind?

Can you tell I've never done this before?!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:32 PM
tndiesel
Elder User
Originally Posted by tndiesel
Gonna change my tranny/differential fluid, here is my list of what I need: Add or delete as necessary.

1. Tranny fluid 12 qts.? Exactly what kind?
2. Tranny filter, where do I get it?
3. Lube guard to put in with tranny fluid?
4. Gear oil, 90 wt. or 75 wt. how much? My rear end code is D5
5. brake cleaner for differential and tranny pan cleaning-(normal shop rags)?
6. silicone for differential cover when putting back on. What kind of silicone?
7. Friction additive for differential? What kind?

Can you tell I've never done this before?!
Bump, I know I'm being impatient but I'm gonna try and go buy all this stuff early in the morning.

Thanks!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:35 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dexronIII for tranny fluid, pick up a couple extra qts in case.

get any filter you like, they are just plastic...lol i got mine from advance auto for around 15 bucks, your gasket is reusable.

i dont add anything to the tranny other than fluid.

75w140 sythetic fluid in the rear, i beleive its about 4 qts, i bottle of friction modifier. get the 08 diff cover while you are at it, 39 dollars shipped to your door.

rags and brakleen are a great combo

i use 7.3 diesel silicone on anything that oil can touch. it holds up to anything and everything. only available from ford

i use ford's friction modifier in the rear.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Epd444
Elder User
I just did my rear diff so I can help you with that.
I used 75w 140 diff fluid, just like c00n said. I used the Motorcraft Ford stuff. BTW, not cheap!!!! About 4 quarts, I think a little shy of 4 is what I ended up using. Add the friction modifier if you have posi. For re-sealing the rear diff- I just used some high temp (red) RTV silicone, I have a million tubes of that stuff in my work van so it was what I had.
c00n pretty much hit it on the dot for you. Just tryin to back the man up.
Good Luck!!!!!!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:42 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
also, add the friction modifier first!

Old 08-04-2008, 10:07 PM
tndiesel
Elder User
Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe
dexronIII for tranny fluid, pick up a couple extra qts in case.

get any filter you like, they are just plastic...lol i got mine from advance auto for around 15 bucks, your gasket is reusable.

i dont add anything to the tranny other than fluid.

75w140 sythetic fluid in the rear, i beleive its about 4 qts, i bottle of friction modifier. get the 08 diff cover while you are at it, 39 dollars shipped to your door.

rags and brakleen are a great combo

i use 7.3 diesel silicone on anything that oil can touch. it holds up to anything and everything. only available from ford

i use ford's friction modifier in the rear.
Where can I get the 08 diff cover? Why not just put the old back on?
Is super tech dexronIII okay?
My axle code is D5, what does that mean? 4.10 pos.? (I need friction mod for that?)

Old 08-04-2008, 10:14 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
i dont buy anything supertech, walmart oil is not so hot in my opinion.
i cant recall the axle codes but tj is online, i'm sure he has it.
you can also view the tag on your diff bolt, it will have the gears and posi or not mark.
you dont have to add the 08 diff cover, its just really perdy. to get it tomarrow you may want to check your local dealers, they may have it.

here is what it looks like installed.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:05 AM
tndiesel
Elder User
On my 97 350 2 wd dually where exactly is my TC so I can drain the fluid from it when changing out my tranny fluid?
Also, seem to be getting conflicting answers but how many qts. are needed of tranny fluid?

Lastly, what kind of rear end do I have with a D5 code?

Old 08-05-2008, 07:10 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
You're going to need about 16-18 quarts to refill the trans after draining the torque converter and pan. Use MERCON V fluid. MERCON fluid will also work if you can still find it.

The torque converter is at the front of the trans, just behind the engine. There is a sheet metal cover over the bottom of the torque converter. Once you have the cover out of the way you may have to rotate the engine to find the drain plug. I've used a socket and breaker bar on the crank pulley to turn the engine.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:15 AM
tndiesel
Elder User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
You're going to need about 16-18 quarts to refill the trans after draining the torque converter and pan. Use MERCON V fluid. MERCON fluid will also work if you can still find it.

The torque converter is at the front of the trans, just behind the engine. There is a sheet metal cover over the bottom of the torque converter. Once you have the cover out of the way you may have to rotate the engine to find the drain plug. I've used a socket and breaker bar on the crank pulley to turn the engine.
Are Dexron III and Mercon V the same thing?
When I posted the pic of the tag no one knew exactly what it meant so I thought someone could tell me what the code means. The code is "D5"

Old 08-05-2008, 07:42 AM
tndiesel
Elder User
Are Dexron III and Mercon V the same thing?
When I posted the pic of the tag no one knew exactly what it meant so I thought someone could tell me what the code means. The code is "D5"
I searched around and I'm pretty sure my "D5" code means limited slip 4.10 gears.

Lastly, is Dexron III and Mercon V the same thing?

Old 08-05-2008, 09:24 AM
tndiesel
Elder User
I searched around and I'm pretty sure my "D5" code means limited slip 4.10 gears.

Also, I don't know if the previous owner put synthetic gear oil in the rear end or not. Will it hurt if I go ahead and put synthetic in? I think I'll use Royal Purple cause Wally World has it.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:50 AM
ron86toy
Posting Guru

They are basically the same...GM calls theirs Dexron and Ford calls theirs Mercon

Also, I don't know if the previous owner put synthetic gear oil in the rear end or not. Will it hurt if I go ahead and put synthetic in? I think I'll use Royal Purple cause Wally World has it.

Will not hurt a bit.....I switched to Syn in my motor,tranny and rear with 270k+ on the truck....I am using Amsoil...heard good stuff about the Royal Purple too

Old 08-05-2008, 10:03 AM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i just changed the gear oil in mine last week and i got a few different words of advice from the ford garage. they told me to use 80/90W in mine. my diesel has a 4.10 non posi and my 5.4 has a 4.10 posi. they said not to use synthetic in the non posi, that they only recommended using synthetic in a posi unit. and they said not to use friction modifier in a posi because all the new synthetics already have it. that friction modifier was only needed if you used conventional oil in the posi. my haynes manual didnt list what weight oil to use, it just said any weight gear oil should work. any thoughts??

Old 08-05-2008, 10:22 AM
tndiesel
Elder User
Originally Posted by phillips91
i just changed the gear oil in mine last week and i got a few different words of advice from the ford garage. they told me to use 80/90W in mine. my diesel has a 4.10 non posi and my 5.4 has a 4.10 posi. they said not to use synthetic in the non posi, that they only recommended using synthetic in a posi unit. and they said not to use friction modifier in a posi because all the new synthetics already have it. that friction modifier was only needed if you used conventional oil in the posi. my haynes manual didnt list what weight oil to use, it just said any weight gear oil should work. any thoughts??
Yeah, I think this is more confusing than it should be. My axle code on the door sticker is D5 which I THINK means 4.10 limited slip but I'm not positive. Someone please confirm this. I guess I'll just use synthetic and no friction mod. I guess? As far as weight, it seems to be a crap shoot. Can anyone know for sure?

Quick Reply: Tranny fluid/rear differential change list (what did I forget)?