General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Ohio inmate says he's too fat for execution

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 06:36 PM
websthes
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ohio inmate says he's too fat for execution

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A death row inmate scheduled for execution says he's too fat to be put to death, claiming executioners would have trouble finding his veins and that his weight could diminish the effectiveness of one of the lethal injection drugs.

Lawyers for Richard Cooey argue in a federal lawsuit that Cooey — 5-feet-7 and 267 pounds — had poor veins when he faced execution five years ago and the problem has been worsened by weight gain.

The lawsuit, filed Friday in federal court, also says prison officials have had difficulty drawing blood from Cooey for medical procedures.

Cooey, 41, is sentenced to die for raping and murdering two young women in 1986. His execution is scheduled for Oct. 14.

His attorneys say a drug he is taking for migraine headaches could affect the execution process. The drug Topamax, a type of seizure medication, may have created a resistance to thiopental, the drug used to put inmates to sleep before two other lethal drugs are administered, Dr. Mark Heath, a physician hired by the Ohio Public Defender's Office, said in documents filed with the court.

Heath says Cooey's weight, combined with the potential drug resistance, increases the risk he would not be properly anesthetized.

"All of the experts agree if the first drug doesn't work, the execution is going to be excruciating," Cooey's public defender, Kelly Culshaw Schneider, said Monday.

Prison system spokeswoman Andrea Carson and Jim Gravelle, a spokesman for the Ohio Attorney General's Office, both said Monday they hadn't seen the lawsuit and couldn't comment.

Last year, Carson cited the obesity of condemned inmate Christopher Newton as one of the reasons prison officials had difficulty accessing his veins before his execution. Newton was 6 feet tall and weighed 265 pounds.

Two years ago, convicted killer Jeffrey Lundgren was put to death after a federal appeals court rejected his claim that he was at greater risk of experiencing pain and suffering because he was overweight and diabetic.
Ohio inmate says he's too fat for execution - Yahoo! News

I have a simple solution. Bring back hanging, firing squads and the guillotine. Then let the condemned man choose how he wants to go.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Svets96
Senior User
Thats what I say to bring back the old school executions.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:03 PM
wizzard351
Postmaster
so does anyone care if he's put to sleep before the killer drugs are administerd? ill bet the famalys of his victoms dont care either. just shoot the sob and get it over with

Old 08-04-2008, 07:31 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wizzard351
so does anyone care if he's put to sleep before the killer drugs are administerd? ill bet the famalys of his victoms dont care either. just shoot the sob and get it over with
I don't care if he feels pain when he dies,either. I do believe the women he raped then murdered probably felt quite a bit of pain before they died,so fair is fair.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:42 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Electrocution: ummmm Bacon.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:52 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
I agree do it the "old fashion way" hanging, firing squad etc

Old 08-04-2008, 07:55 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
When did the condemned get the right to not feel any pain upon death? Last time I checked, there is no such right.

The whole death penalty system in this country needs to be thrown out and re-written from scratch.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:03 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Regular people don't have rights - only the criminals do - Take for example a minor thing. You ask someone to leave your property. They refuse, you help them off the property, you get sued.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Flexfuel-Dave
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Svets96
Thats what I say to bring back the old school executions.
Electricity or a good rope don't care about veins or cholesterol! LOL

Lets make things more simple and get back to basics!

Old 08-04-2008, 08:59 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
They have 2.5 months to restrict his diet. 4 lbs per week will get him down to 227 lbs. Since they ultimately control his diet the "problem" (I use the term lightly) is solved easily.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:04 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This tactic trying to get out of executions by getting fat is not a new one. My great uncle was the sheriff in Cascade County MT. (Great Falls) back in the 60s and they had a prisoner there that did the same thing got fat until his claim was that if they tried to hang him it would pop his head off and that was cruel and unusual punishment. The judge threw it out.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:11 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
So? Did his head pop off? Enquiring minds want to know.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:16 PM
soondg
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe they should get him to convert to that religion that promises them 70 virgins when they die. Give him a large dose of morphine to numb the pain( we have to be humane), lop off his genitals, then inject him.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:34 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by andym
So? Did his head pop off? Enquiring minds want to know.
NO but someone already mentioned the solution in this thread they put him on a restricted diet for a couple months

Old 08-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Svets96
Senior User
Our justice system is screwed up today isnt it? But the good ones like us drivin blue ovals have to pay!

Quick Reply: Ohio inmate says he's too fat for execution