General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Runtime Error?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 07:10 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Runtime Error?

My laptop has developed a strange problem. Right in the middle of searching a website a window pops up with "Runtime Error!," and then NOTHING works right: IE shuts down, e-mail fails to respond, and everything closes. If I restart the computer, it's usually OK, but it can occur again after an hour or so.

Did some research and thought maybe having Earthlink Total Access running in the background was the culprit, but I turned it off and the problem still occurs. Couldn't find anything on the web that was really helpful- one company claims to fix it for free, but all their "Download Now!" links just take me to Netflix movies. Anyone else have this occur, and are there any fixes?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:34 AM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 1956MarkII
My laptop has developed a strange problem. Right in the middle of searching a website a window pops up with "Runtime Error!," and then NOTHING works right: IE shuts down, e-mail fails to respond, and everything closes. If I restart the computer, it's usually OK, but it can occur again after an hour or so.

Did some research and thought maybe having Earthlink Total Access running in the background was the culprit, but I turned it off and the problem still occurs. Couldn't find anything on the web that was really helpful- one company claims to fix it for free, but all their "Download Now!" links just take me to Netflix movies. Anyone else have this occur, and are there any fixes?
Try updating Adobe flash player and Shockwave..

There is probably some embeded script that is being called and your older version doesn't know how to handle it..

Also what version of internet explorer or firefox are you running.. You could try updating that also..

Old 08-04-2008, 12:05 PM
modar
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you have vista... open a web page and click on tools, internet options, click on advanced tab, at the bottom of the window click reset.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:24 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
Have you checked for viruses , spyware and the like?

I use Norton on one compute and AVG on the other. Plus I use Spybot on both. I don't run ad aware -- although I probably should.

One other trick I've used is to create a new account and pull anything I want over there. After a while I get rid of the original account. ( I also usually surf with a non admin account unless I'm doing financial type stuff)

Good luck,

Old 08-05-2008, 09:45 AM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ford2go
Have you checked for viruses , spyware and the like?

I use Norton on one compute and AVG on the other. Plus I use Spybot on both. I don't run ad aware -- although I probably should.

One other trick I've used is to create a new account and pull anything I want over there. After a while I get rid of the original account. ( I also usually surf with a non admin account unless I'm doing financial type stuff)

Good luck,
You do not need to run Ad Aware if you are running Spybot.. They are the same type of program and Spybot is 100 times better..

I have worked on many pc's that had ad aware and still got infected..

Old 08-06-2008, 02:51 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
I agree with post #2. The other thing is to check your process list when this happens. A trojan could be trying to load its own corrupt .dll library as the multi-media .dll on your computer. Since the links are bogus, it is crashing Explorer.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:57 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
Laptop might just need a good cleaning. Dust and dirt will make all computers overheat eventually, laptops are worse.

Computer starts to get dirty, use it for a while, it gets hot, get errors and shutdown.