6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

RV battery will not charge from motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Foamy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RV battery will not charge from motor

Not sure if this is the proper forum, but let's see if someone can help me with this problem.
I have 2004 E450 Diesel RV (Fourwinds 5000). The "house" battery will take a good charge when plugged to 100v hookup, and when I run the on-board propane generator.
But when the battery goes low after camping at a no-power hook-up site and drive the truck home I get no charge to this battery. The truck battery charges just fine.
I have checked all the fuses and circuit breakers that appear to be part of this system.
I have read that there is some kind of device that might need re-setting, but I am not sure what or where this device might be ??
Anyone know what this problem might be..

Old 08-03-2008, 07:48 PM
psdendurance
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did it ever charge from the truck system?

Most RV motor homes run an isolator to charge the RV battery. Its a BIG finned block about the size of a brick. It has the center post to the alternator and one end post routed to the RV battery.

The other option is a relay that energizes when the ignition is on. My truck uses that method there is a trailer relay in the front power box of the truck.
I would think you RV uses that method.

Look in the owners manual Ford- for that relay and a fuse. In my truck it came as part of the trailer tow package. Should be the same in the RV.

There may be a disconnect circuit breaker under a seat or in the area of the Rv power panels.. some do that. Info on that option would be in the RV manual.

Not much help I bet, but that's my best shot.. for the stock fix.

If you do not have the Ford add-on charge relay.. you should have the charging isolator.. if you do- it could be burned out. They do that all the time..

IF all else fails.. then add a relay.. When I had a MH, I used a HD starter relay - Ford truck. Run NR 10 wire from the truck battery- fuse with a BIG inline fuse like 50 amp, to the relay, then a wire to the RV battery with a fuse at the battery end. Both ends with a fuse.
Connect the relay trigger post to an ignition hot wire from the truck. When you turn on the key - the relay closes and connects the RV battery to the truck battery. Worked better then those lousy isolators.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Foamy
New User
Thanks for your quick reply psdendurance;
1) I got it 2 years ago, I am not 100% sure but I suspect it has had this problem since I got it at 4500 miles ?? RV manual says it should charge from the motor system.
2) BIG finned brick, I did not see this, but everthing is burried in the truck, I'll look again.
3) I checked for this trailer relay - the space is empty.
4) Could not find anything helpful in the RV manual, but will look again.
5) I am reluctant to try any "Add-ons" as this should be part of the original vehicle package.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Nitrous
Elder User
Originally Posted by Foamy
Not sure if this is the proper forum, but let's see if someone can help me with this problem.
I have 2004 E450 Diesel RV (Fourwinds 5000). The "house" battery will take a good charge when plugged to 100v hookup, and when I run the on-board propane generator.
But when the battery goes low after camping at a no-power hook-up site and drive the truck home I get no charge to this battery. The truck battery charges just fine.
I have checked all the fuses and circuit breakers that appear to be part of this system.
I have read that there is some kind of device that might need re-setting, but I am not sure what or where this device might be ??
Anyone know what this problem might be..
My truck would not charge my trailer batteries after I blew a fuse when trying to start the trailer generator off the truck power. It was a 20A fuse in the panel under the steering wheel. Not one of the common fuses but a fuse that has a little square window to look in. I don't know what you call this type of fuse, but I overlooked it when looking at the common fuses.