1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rolling on a paint job

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 04:26 PM
eanderson56
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rolling on a paint job

I was recently looking through a paint/body magazine and saw an interesting article about a new method of painting sheetmetal: rolling it. It cost the guys about $150 for the paint and prep supplies, and the end result looked like a spray-job. Has anyone else done anything like this?

Old 08-03-2008, 04:44 PM
Mr Mayo
Bring out the best!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have seen this topic come up from time to time on various forums that I frequent. I don't personally know anyone who's tried it.

Here is a link to a thread on a Mopar forum where it is discussed:

moparts: paint job on a budget!?

Old 08-04-2008, 11:55 AM
56efffie
Elder User
I read articles on this method in the past and the amount of coats needed and amount of sanding needed between all those coats, just didn't sound worth it. Of course materials are cheap, but you have to put a price on your time.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:26 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Depends on what you have more of or what final result you are satisfied with. I know a guy who did this way back in the 60's without color sanding after using single stage enamel paint. Looked decent at 30' up close looked like heavy orange peel like the paint wasn't thinned enough when sprayed. This was before the days of modern paints and foam rollers.
One of the car magazines just did an article where they tested the method by painting a Falcon Ranchero white using good old Rustoleum paint from the hardware store. They said it required a lot of color sanding but the finished job was equal to an Earl Shieb job.
Truthfully IMHO you'd be better off doing the prep and masking job then take it to your local ES or Maaco one day paint place. They use reasonably good paint and the spray gun guys get a lot of practice laying it down, where they cut corners is in the prep/masking. No sanding or priming, just power wash with harsh chemical spray, quick mask, no attempt to get under rubber stripping, emblems just get a top surface coat of liquid mask, etc.
Many of the auto paint manufacturers now recommend rolling as an application method for their high build primers before final blocking. SW even has a primer with 2 different catalysts, one for spray application and one for squeegie application.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:01 PM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Here's a link to the Hot Rod mag article:

'62 Falcon rolled paint job

And, a very nice job on a Corvair:

Corvair Cheapie Paint Job

And, a pic of the shine on a VW painted like that:

If you have more time than money, and beer than brains, it's the way to go! I think it would give a very period-correct finish to a truck. Not for me, I'm not THAT cheap any more, but I have done a few cars this way, when I WAS cheap...

R

Old 08-07-2008, 12:27 AM
nytling92
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't see how you could do anything but straight colors either. Metallics would build up in streaks, tiger striping would look good compared to this. The bugs shine looks good but I bet it was a lot of sanding before buffing.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:36 AM
56efffie
Elder User
That bug roof looks pretty good, I would love to know how many hours he has in the roof alone? It would be fun to do a fender for S&G's to see what happens.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:44 AM
OldgreenF1
Elder User
I had a friend in school and his brother painted his car with a sponge!
Now his brother my friend probably didnt know a good paint job from a bad one but he said it didnt look to bad.
Now figure in it was probably a $200 car and these guys were teenagers.
I think most people will look at a car from 20 feet and if it sshinning its a good paint job.