2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edge Programming

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 11:30 PM
JBoe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Programming

While i'm new to the forum i'm definately not new to modding cars/trucks/etc..

However i've never used the Edge products before and i've noticed there are some guru's on here. I have a question but first the setup...

I have an 04' F-150 Scab FX4 with Outlaw CAI, straight piped exhaust with all cats, and new HT1 plugs(changed them just out of habit 50k miles)... the programming was easy and after updating the unit to ensure I had the latest and greatest I programmed the truck. Under #3 power setting I used the custom programming to factor in the increased tire size(285-65-R18's), open up the WOT shifts(5400 1-3 and 5100 4th), 5600 revlim, 10% increase on shift firmness, 125mph limiter, 1.25WOT fuel, and .25 timing increase. I'm using 91 octane and the truck is great.

My question is:

Since i'm using the #3 programming mode will my custom adjustements be on top of the "canned" program or take the place of their settings.

For example... is the #3 shift firmness harder as "canned" and then an extra 10% added or is the shift firmness zero'd since i'm custom tuning?

I ask this as when I look at all the settings under the custom options most are zero'd but some were different than other settings. The WOT shifting was different and the WOT fuel was 1.15 originally.

I did try to just load up the basic #3 program and found it was great... but with my adjusted settings I liked things better. I just want to ensure the advanced timing and fuel curves of the #3 option are still in place as edge intended.

Any inputs are greatly appriciated.

I do support this product greatly... damn easy to use, looks great in the mounting pod, way more options than others i've used, and the improvement was impressive. Actually the best mod i've done so far!

Old 08-03-2008, 07:53 AM
XolieX
Elder User
www.powerhungryperformance.com

theres nothing much more to know but this site!!! enjoy!!!!

Old 08-03-2008, 12:32 PM
JBoe
New User
I've done a lot of reading on here... aside from actually calling a rep I figured i'd just drop my question on here and wait for an answer. It's better to wait here than to wait on the phone IMHO.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:36 PM
silver05fx4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think it reset them on custom tune...my truck run great and pull real hard ..but when i go in to change my tirer size its back to a lame duck ..that why i think alot of people dont get what they want out off the programmer like mpg and hp

but it ownly may guess i was think of calling edge too but didn't want to wait on the phone

Old 08-03-2008, 09:35 PM
JBoe
New User
I tried emailing them with the question... we'll see how it pans out.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:12 AM
jsoko
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question

JBoe did you have any problems removing spark plugs,you can read the horror stories on other post

Old 08-04-2008, 09:59 AM
kmack05
New User
I have the edge programmer and when you do a custom program it does reset all of the other settings. For instance if you were to go in under #3 and do a custom program for just your tire size you will notice when you take off that you truck feels like stock, or like silver said " a lame duck." The people at edge dont tell you what the settings are for level #3. you have to play around with it to find the settings that you want.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:33 PM
JBoe
New User
They were definately tough but I got em out. There was a lot of corrosion on the plug.

I never read anything about them. I just jumped right in and took them all out. Then I had problem finding replacements so I checked the forum. That's when I found out about all the horror stories and the bulletin. I was just really lucky... and probably did them early enough that I had a better chance of success.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:14 PM
silver05fx4
Posting Guru
i think we should try to work as a group to figure out their factory edge setings for level two to see if we can't out smart them

Old 08-04-2008, 05:59 PM
kmack05
New User
For level on it only changes the shift points, to make the shifts earlier. level 2 changes the shift point further out and the firmness.
The only level that I really keep my truck at is level 3. i am getting better gas mileage with it than level 1

Old 08-04-2008, 09:21 PM
JBoe
New User
Well I still haven't heard back from Edge... nor could I get thru to them on the phone today. I generally only wait 15mins before I give up. :lol:

Anyway, I decided to do some playing today and hook up an obd diagnostic scanner up. It appears that the level setting do stay even though you make custom changes. All timing and injector pulses on basic levels stayed the same even when I entered custom changes.

Basically I did some stock runs to get some baselines. Then did level changes without custom mods. Lastly custom mods but I just entered tire correction and shift firmness changes. Needless to say this took a while but to me it was worth it.

One of the easiest ways to test this with the unit I found was in 0-60 times and shift firmness settings. Do a completely stock pull and you'll see the truck shifts pretty smoothly. Then upgrade to level 3... and lastly do a custom level three with simple tire change. You'll see the 0-60's time get better going stock to level 3... and you'll definately feel the difference in the shift firmness. Then make a custom level 3 and just change the shift firmenss to -10. You'll see the 0-60's stay pretty much the same but the shifting will go back to a more stock like feel.

Personally the harder shifting almost felt like it was going to drop the tranny out of the truck. :lol: There was also this massive chirp and feeling of slippage that occured when it shifted. The could be because i'm a 4X but i'm definately not up for that kinda impact. Increasing the rpms did wonders for the times and you could feel the engine starting to open up right above 5k. The rpm levels were also a lot more erratic during the harder shifts where the more stock like shifting was always around 50rpm under my setpoint. There were a few firm shifts that were 150rpm over my setpoint... good thing I set the Rev limiter 250rpm above the shift.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:37 PM
JBoe
New User
So currently i'm at:

1-2 shift--- 5300
2-3 shift--- 5250
3-4 shift--- 4900
WOT Fuel--- 1.15
Timing--- 1.00
Shift Firmness 1-2--- (-10)
Shift Firmness 2-3--- (-5)
Shift Firmness 3-4--- (0)
Rev Limiter--- 5550
Speed Limiter--- 125
Tires--- 2600
Gearing--- 3.73
Converter Lockups--- All 0 (Not sure what this will do as there's no mention of it in manual)
Std Shifting--- All 0

I think that's about it... I did try to run 1.5 for timing and got pinging, so I backed it down to 1 just to be safe and it's currently 94 degrees out here. Figure if i'm gonna hear some pinging it'd happen.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:50 PM
silver05fx4
Posting Guru
what grade of gas are you runing on level 3 ??
i have the same **** points
and timming at .50 with 89 octane
tires 2777

i had my best mpg level two and just timing .50

Old 08-05-2008, 04:48 PM
JBoe
New User
I'm Running Cali 91 **** gas... LOL!

I did hear a little pinging today so I backed it down to .50

I also tried messing with the different Std shift points... didn't like any of it so i put them all back to 0's.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:30 PM
JBoe
New User
I did get a reply back from Edge that supports what I was able to find out... here's a copy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Custom options are used as modifiers to the selected "canned" level programs. For example if you selected the level 3 program and then adjusted the Custom Option for Timing, it would add or subtract values to the modified (canned) timing tables, not the factory timing tables. All the other functions would be set based on the "canned" tuning parameters. Only the Custom Options that are changed will be modified and included when reprogramming.

The following are FIXED value options (the value you enter is the value used):

Tire Size
Gear Ratio
WOT Fuel
WOT Shifting
Speed Limit
Rev Limit

The Shift Pressure option is a percentage multiplier on the canned tune.

The remaining options are adders (values are added or subtracted from the modified values)

Timing
Idle Speed
Shift Points

When changing adders types, a value of zero mean no change from the "canned" tuining.

Hope this helps.