1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't drive with your fog lights on?

Old 02-10-2009, 01:19 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
But they are still annoying on trucks and even on small cars, especially on rural roads with little traffic, eyes just cannot adjust fast enough.
Headlights are brighter than fogs and don't reach out near as far as headlights. So your eyes can adjust to headlights but not fogs? Guess we should turn the headlights off too.

If they are truly fog lights and set properly they do zero good when it's not foggy so why are you running them? If they ARE lighting up the road so you can see better then they are NOT fog lights OR they are improperly aligned and once again why are you running them? Your being discourteous in either case.
My fogs were not touched from factory an they help light up spots the headlights don't touch and partially at the sides of the road which helps on backroads with no light. They help.

Theres lots of stuff that tick me off about other drivers on the road. Semis that drive side by side on the highway, semi lights in my rearview, blue HIDs, people talking on cell phones, reading while driving, drinking and eating while driving and etc. I may not like it but I DEAL WITH IT and mind my business. Theres always something out there you arn't going to like.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:21 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
oh since there are other jerks and inconsiderate people out there I see your point that makes it A-ok for you to be one.
You do know that factory fog lights are NOT aligned by the factory. I used to do PDI on new vehicles (worked at a dealership) and headlight and foglight alignment is on the list. Headlights are always done and always out of alignment, fog lights are rarely done.
And once again if your fog lights are lighting up the road when it's not foggy they are NOT aligned right.
Can I adjust for it? yes and yes many many are much worse then headlights. dkf your attitude is exactly whats wrong with the world today. "I don't give a rip about anyone or anything else as long as I am cool, and I will do what I dang well please and the heck with you " You show zero curtousy to others and you will get it in return, it wouldn't hurt you one little bit to not run them yet you don't care, I sure hope you don't ever need any help from someone you have blinded with them, or anyone else for that matter. Good luck with life and your attitude.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Go COugs
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am just advocating some common courtesy, but if you want to be a jacka** then no one can stop you.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
I believe in checking the source.
So called the local traffic detachment.

At least in B.C. it is legal to run a fog light anytime of day or night, as long as its DOT approved.

If not DOT approved its illegal on any public roads, at any time.

Mine are DOT , so mine are 100% legal.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:59 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
Wow, can I meet your sister???????

Old 02-10-2009, 03:14 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
oh since there are other jerks and inconsiderate people out there I see your point that makes it A-ok for you to be one.
You do know that factory fog lights are NOT aligned by the factory. I used to do PDI on new vehicles (worked at a dealership) and headlight and foglight alignment is on the list. Headlights are always done and always out of alignment, fog lights are rarely done.
And once again if your fog lights are lighting up the road when it's not foggy they are NOT aligned right.
Can I adjust for it? yes and yes many many are much worse then headlights. dkf your attitude is exactly whats wrong with the world today. "I don't give a rip about anyone or anything else as long as I am cool, and I will do what I dang well please and the heck with you " You show zero curtousy to others and you will get it in return, it wouldn't hurt you one little bit to not run them yet you don't care, I sure hope you don't ever need any help from someone you have blinded with them, or anyone else for that matter. Good luck with life and your attitude.

My point was someone will always do something that someone else doesn't like.

My fogs are adjusted fine they don't light up much of the road and since they are a wide the lights spreads a little to the sides. The dealer probably adjusted them before I took delivery.(Shouldn't have said factory) I don't go around considering or calling people jerks or hate them because they just drive with fogs on. You don't know me...So don't presume to know me or my attitude and please spare me from your almighty lectures.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rmosso1
Wow, can I meet your sister???????

Her husband finally wised up and dumped her, so she is yours if you like living in total hell.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:06 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
I know one thing. I grew up between 49 degree latitude and 39 degree latitude, aka, the mason dixon line. Next I went to St. Peteresburg, FL latitude 27 degrees. Right now happy in Macon, at 32 degrees latitude.

We gotta get you northern guys to get some winter sun and 72 degree days to loosen up. Hell, if those lights bug y'all that much, just don't drive at night!

From 32 degree latitude, I will add one thing, we all age, we all lose our youthful eyesight, and I will always remember from 1960 what one man said:

Ask not, what your country can do for you,
Ask, what you can do for your country.

Sorry for commenting in this post. I will not any further. Sometimes your comments hurt.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:12 PM
DAVE67FD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Monster,
The intent here is not to intentionally PO anyone. Your comments regarding the fact that "FOG" lights alone when not used correctly are annoying and inconsiderate. That is a rediculous statement in itself. I will "not" disagree the fact that a small (very small) percentage of motorists that use fog lights use them inapropriately and that they can be annoying. The intent here should be inappropriate use of all or any lighting. The point that i am trying to make is that inappropriate "headlight" use is the overwhelming percentage of inconsiderate people not the ones who drive with their fog lights on.

Maybe there are a large percentage of people in your area that need better driver education courses or instructions on driver safety, i don't know.

dkf your attitude is exactly whats wrong with the world today.
"
I don't give a rip about anyone or anything else as long as I am cool, and I will do what I dang well please and the heck with you

I believe you just contradicted yourself with these two statements. You dislike dkf's attitude but your attitude seems far from acceptable. Not to say anything about your statement made in your signiture. Of course i am assuming but it seems you may have problems with many other issues not just FOG LIGHTS.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:11 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

DAve I did NOT contradict myself, you didn't read it right I was putting that last quote about he attitude of those that are going to do what ever they darn well please and the heck with everyone else. note the quotes around that one sentence.

And dkf your quiet the man, can't take it when someone points out your being inconsiderate so give out the neg reps woooohoooo you sure showed me with that red square.

I do hate people for driving with fog lights on, because they are inconsiderate jerks that have to prove they are cool, I am a proffesional driver I HAVE TO BE OUT THERE. Why don't you run in 4x4 all the time, I mean your truck came from the factory with it afterall. people that are inconsiderate are the REASON we have such intrusive laws and YOU my friend will be a part of the reason when they do become outlawed and will be crying about it. Fog lights are a driving tool when used properly can be a great benifit, when used improperly can not only do zero good but actually do harm, enough people get irritated even by the less then 1% that don't use them right and they get outlawed you then cost those of us that actually understand the proper use of them to lose the right. Think once in awhile about more then yourself.

every single law that takes away rights is because of people like you. That isn't opinion dfk that is fact. But hey you gave me that neg rep and showed me anyway so guess that means your cool.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:32 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Stated my opinion, you have your opinion I have mine. I never attacked anyone as you did just stated my opinion. As for the neg rep I thought thats what it was there for, sorry if I hurt your feelings. You can give me a negative rep if you like.

I'm done here, I don't see anything constructive to follow and your lectures are getting awful old. Have a nice evening.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Go COugs
New User
My intentions were to just vent about a pet peve, not to change the world or offend anyone. I apologies if I did.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:13 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Originally Posted by dkf
Stated my opinion, you have your opinion I have mine. I never attacked anyone as you did just stated my opinion. As for the neg rep I thought thats what it was there for, sorry if I hurt your feelings. You can give me a negative rep if you like.

I'm done here, I don't see anything constructive to follow and your lectures are getting awful old. Have a nice evening.
Nope I am mature enough to not need to give neg rep to make myself feel better, and not self centered to think I am the only one that matters in this world. I try actually think of the consequences of my actions and I never give neg rep I say it right out in the open for all to see since I am not trying to hide behind a keyboard.

But hey good for you.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:28 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 296 Likes on 156 Posts
A few things I have to comment on.

My stock "fog" lights are miraculously pointed just below the headlights, where they are perfectly set to light up the road in dense fog so I can see the lines on the road. Whether or not that's "factory" I don't know personally, but really, do you think the factory just bolts them on and leaves them pointed whereever they are? Nope. They are adjusted to point below the low-beam headlights. Which is what "fog" lights are for, to light the lines right in front of you, because that's all they are going to light up in dense fog.

The original poster was talking about the STOCK lights. Anything else is "off-road" anyway, so that's not a concern here.

Also, for the record, Daytime Running Lights were an option (standard in Canada?) and I've seen a handful of 2002 Superduty's running around with their DRLs on. Guess what they are? The FOG LIGHTS. And they aren't dimmed, not being hooked in serial like they do with headlights for DRLs. They apparently turn off when you turn the headlights on

Me, I've run with the fog lights on, during normal driving. Not often, but if I happen to have the sun behind me and it's blinding other drivers, I will turn on my headlights AND the fogs just so that they see me.

If the stock fogs are aimed correctly, they are NOT shining in anyone's face during normal driving, unless you happen to have the truck loaded to the gills. And even then, your headlights are doing a lot more to shine in people's faces than the stock fogs, as long as they are aimed correctly in the first place.

If someone were to come up behind me and bash out my stock fog lights because they "annoyed" them, well, I won't even go there I might get in trouble

Old 02-10-2009, 09:56 PM
King of the Road 04
Senior User
Ehhh considering the lousy light the headlights put out on these trucks, I'm happy I have the factory fogs to help with the low beams at all times, hell, I want my fogs, lows and highs to be on when I flick on the highbeams.....Then again, I had a 2002 Nissan Maxima with HID low beams that stayed on when the narrow halogen pencil point high beams went on, and I could see everything, so maybe I was pampered a little too much?

With these trucks the more light the better, within reason of course, and controlled, but I think we could all agree that the standard driving lights absolutely suck on these trucks.

Then again maybe I was pampered by my Maxima.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Don't drive with your fog lights on?