Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2008, 01:15 AM
Posting Guru

CheaperJeeper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
SCORE! 3 storage tanks!

I got 3 free storage tanks today - just for going to pick them up!

They are the 275 gallon cube-style heavy plastic tanks inside a steel cage with a built in ABS pallet underneath and an ABS "deck" on top so they are stackable.

They came with a ball valve with a 1-1/2 inch cam-lock fitting at the bottom on one side and about a 7" screw-off cap in the center on top.

They should work well for storing & transporting veg oil. I'm also thinking of using one as a blending tank for mixing & dispensing my veg oil/RUG blend.

I want to try to install a male air hose nipple in the screw-on cap on top and see if I can get it to hold air pressure. If so I could then fit a hose to the cam-lock/valve assembly at the bottom and the blending tank and make it a dispensing station as well...

Anybody ever try to pressurize one of these?

84 Mercedes 300CD Turbo. Bone stock daily driver

86 F250 Super Cab 4x6 (dually), 7.3 Banks TURBO, SMF & ZF5-47, 4.10 gears, 3" Banks straight-pipe exhaust. Mileage unknown
Old 08-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Freshman User

SMOKEPLOE is starting off with a positive reputation.
i don't know about pressurizing them but i know about what happens when you put a pump on one and don't open the top for air vent. They fold up into a small ball. You might want to get an aro pump and use that for diispensing.
The vendor that we get the product from really likes when that happens. you might not want to go over 30psi air pressure they are not design for that. also they are only rated for 140f temp.

smokeploe
Old 08-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Posting Guru

CheaperJeeper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks for the tips smokeploe. I don't expect I'll need to go more than 10 PSI pressure - maybe 20 PSI tops.

With the large surface area above the liquid being under perssure, and the relatively small outlet at the bottom, I expect that even low air pressures will produce plenty of pressure and flow - kind of like an air over hydraulic cylinder.

I'm not familar with the "aro" pump - is that an aero (air operated) pump?

84 Mercedes 300CD Turbo. Bone stock daily driver

86 F250 Super Cab 4x6 (dually), 7.3 Banks TURBO, SMF & ZF5-47, 4.10 gears, 3" Banks straight-pipe exhaust. Mileage unknown
Old 08-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Freshman User

SMOKEPLOE is starting off with a positive reputation.
yes it is sorry for the spelling error, a mech had to be a real pain in the but at that time.
we use a lot of those tank at work and they do fold up real easy and the vent plug on top sticks and get stuff in it an plugs up fast. we get olive oil and cannola oil in them--food production plant.
We tried using the pump from the drain valve and could not get it fast enough and collasped the hose 2" so we just open the top and insert the hose in the top of the tank. We lose about 3 gallons because we cannot get the last it out of the tank. The people that mix the product found out that there is some solids in the bottom of the tank so no lost oil really.

Good luck with the tanks.

smokeploe
Old 08-03-2008, 09:29 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels