2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chronic problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:47 PM
thewheelman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chronic problems?

Ok, I bought the 05 SCrew with 30k on the clock, warranty good for another 6000 or until December. Well, we're at 35500 and it's August 1. My driver's side power window switch is acting up, like I gotta push it 2-3 times before the window goes up. Anybody have the a/c act like it's shut down at low speed? A couple of times in the last week (miserable hot and humid in KY) as I turned a street corner or pulled away from a stop, it's like the compressor died.....sorta like my PT at wot--the compressor clutch kicks out to give the engine max hp......strange.

I've finally gotten the brakes to take up like all the rest of my Fords.......are there any chronic problems I ought to complain about that may rear their ugly heads in the next few miles?????

I want this sucker right before she rolls over 36k!

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2008, 10:12 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
im at the same point as you.... trying to get any little thing figured out before im SOL. thats the only reason i had the 150 side badge replaced this week... i figured if ford is going to pay, then why not !! i have about 3000 miles left, or another 6 months..... hopefully some people chime in and give a good heads up for anything we should be wary of.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:34 AM
thewheelman
Senior User
So, I dropped the SCrew off at the dealership Sunday night with 3 problems needing to be addressed: 1) driver's window switch (which is well documented on this forum) 2) it still vibrates at idle ("those 4.6 just have a rough idle") and 3) on 3 occasions last week the a/c acted like the compressor died (in this weather it REALLY gets your attention).

Got a call from them yesterday afternoon saying they got the window switch fixed and guess what? It wasn't just a rough idle....they're replacing the harmonic balancer--it was vibrating. Duh! AND they think the a/c is low on freon.....wonder how that happened. I suggested that they make sure there are no leaks in the system because I'm less than 500 miles of being out of warranty......

My local Ford dealer is reliable, they'll get the problem fixed, but sometimes you have to get their attention with a 2x4!

Thanks!

Old 08-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
good to hear. make sure they document it all before you drive off. that way, if it happens again, it's a recurring problem and they'll cover under warranty

Old 08-05-2008, 11:09 PM
thewheelman
Senior User
Well, so much for that idea! I picked my truck up at the dealer and drove it to my office, about 4 miles away. A/c worked great, window switch worked fine, vibration gone. About 2 hours later, I was ready to go home, I fired her up and the a/c crapped out on me....gone, totally. Plus, the vibration is back, worse than ever and, AND, the check engine light came on! I dropped it back off tonight with a nastygram in the key drop. In the meantime, I cruising around in a 1990 E 250 that's killing every mosquito within miles with it's oil smoke, holes rusted so big in the floorboards that you are afraid to sit your diet dew down and NO A/C! I've got a property to clean to put on the market tomorrow and my one consolation to a day like that is I get to drive home in a nice, quiet, air conditioned truck.......but NOT TOMORROW! It's supposed to be 97 with a heat index well over 100.....but, I'll get over it.....maybe! More on this saga later.....

Old 08-07-2008, 06:29 AM
thewheelman
Senior User
Well, it turns out the coil pack went bad....funny, just the day after it was in for service, anyway.....#5 had a dead miss and the 'puter shut the a/c down to take any additional load off the engine. According to the dealer service writer.......end of story? Who knows! These guys sure ain't CSI, they only investigate 1 problem at a time.....

Old 08-07-2008, 05:56 PM
air1jpg
Tuned
I am surprised the serivice writer knew what the coil pack was... Most service writers i have met were not even close to mechanics.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Mr.Russell
New User
Might want to get you third brake light upgraded if you are still under 36K, during hard rain or going through a car wash, it has a tendency to leak water through that light onto the back seat. I would have to imagine that would be covered on the warranty.