Detailing a 534

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 06:47 PM
Mike-fire32
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Detailing a 534

Hello everyone, this is my first post to any bulletin board. I am the proud owner of a 1964 C-1000 fire truck that my father designed and developed as a fire chief in the 1960's. I am in the process of restoring the truck back to its original condition, so right now it is in a million pieces. I am starting to detail the engine and want to find decals to replace the originals. I have found an Autolite spark plug decal on a Bronco site, but I have not been able to find the 534 "Super Duty" decal or the oil bath air cleaner decal. Any suggestions? I can also see the remians of a decal on the right valve cover. Anyone know what that was?

If you are interested in the history of this truck, you can go to Fire 32 page 1. I think you will find it quite interesting.

By the way, for those of you with fire apparatus, I may be of assistance, as I currently work for a major fire equipment manufacturer, previously sold fire apparatus and I am active with SPAAMFAA, the fire truck enthusiasts group. I am more than willing to share my knowledge and experience with antique fire apparatus.

Mike

Old 08-11-2008, 01:57 AM
DFBCA
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is your restoration coming-

Hi Mike-

I just read your post from last year about restoration of the fire truck your Dad helped design. It's a great story- I wondered how it's coming along.

I just bought a 1978 American LaFrance; my first encounter with Fire apparatus. I'm a mechanical engineer, and though I have no expertise in fire fighting, I love the engineering that goes into these machines.

I might take you up on your offer of advice, if you're still willing. There are some subtleties I haven't figured out yet...

Doug

Old 08-11-2008, 02:42 AM
Mike-fire32
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Doug,

Thanks for your reply. I actually posted at the end of July, so it is a current post. I joined last year but had never spoken up.

The truck has been torn apart for several years, but just a couple days ago I had it towed to a shop I am renting, so I hope to turn up the wick and make some progress. I hope to get some more information up on the website and get restoration pictures posted on a regular basis.

As a mechanical engineer, you would definately appreciate how advanced the trucks were for the early sixties. My father designed saw mills, and applied some of that knowledge to the fire trucks. Many of his design ideas that were laughed at then are now standard features on apparatus. The two downfalls of using this technology were (1) the Scrader air valves had issues (they regularly stuck and needed some incentive to work) and (2) it was just too advanced for a volunteer department to keep operational.

I learned to pump on a 1968 American LaFrance Pioneer. It has been a while since I pumped a LaFrance, but I do have several books on pump construct and they go into detail on all the manufacturers, including ALF. It includes sections on relief valves, transfer valves, and primers. Let me know if you have questions and I will do my best to get you an answer.

If you have not joined SPAAMFAA, do so, as there are some real active groups in California. They tend to have just one thing on their mind (can you say Crown?), but could offer plenty of help and also give you an outlet to play with your toy.

Mike

Old 08-11-2008, 10:19 AM
DFBCA
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking it offline

Mike- Since the details of fire apparatus are off topic for this forum, it might be better to take it offline. My email is doug.f.busch@intel.com

thanks-

Doug