Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

If You've Greased Your 4WD Hubs

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:36 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow Scott, thinking of changing directions too. Change is good sometimes, go get em man...

Old 08-01-2008, 09:47 PM
yamaguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good for you Scott! I had the same thing present itself back in March and I am loving work more than I have in a long time (and getting paid almost more than I'm worth ) I hope that things go good for you. I use that fitting all the time and it's great. I did just change out my hubs when I did my ball joints back in april though, but at 260k I guess it was time

Old 08-02-2008, 01:42 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas Outlaw
I'm going to dig up the sketch for the fittings and try to get a few made next week.
Here ya' go, Scott:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ml#post5021552

Pop

Old 08-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's the thread!

For anyone interested, the sketch that Pop made is below. The only changes I made to his design were that I used a striaght zerk and I deleted the o-ring groove. The only reason I used straight zerks is because I have a ready supply of them. The o-ring groove was deleted simply because I didn't have a carbide insert handy that was the correct size to cut the groove and I didn't want to grind a tool.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:37 AM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Putting grease in the ABS hole is lubing the unit bearing only, it does not lube the needle bearing on the back of unit bearing, or the locking hub,Warn or factory ESOF

Old 08-02-2008, 10:41 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
That is correct, but you CAN do all of the rest, manually, by taking the assembly off the truck.

Pop

Old 08-02-2008, 10:52 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck Scott. Hope you and Susan get things going in a better direction. Sure sounds like it is.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:56 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Scott...PM sent..please read...

Old 08-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Thanks, Rick. Really though, we are doing great. We were never really in trouble when she lost her job or anything. I worked seven days a week, ten hours a day and we never missed a beat. Now she's working for Anadarko Petroleum as their Asset Control Manager and she's raking in far more money than she did before so yeah, we are more than cool. As for me, I'm not completely miserable in the position that I am in or anything. It's just that I have a great opportunity to make more money and be in charge of a bigger project. It's hard to walk away from that.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:03 AM
WILDMAN_Stroker*7.3
Senior User
Scott

You have to do what is the right thing for you and the family, I wish you all the luck in the world. Sometimes change is good, and starting over is always stressful, but we all know you can handle it

Old 08-02-2008, 11:12 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Originally Posted by Texas Outlaw
Thanks, Rick. Really though, we are doing great. We were never really in trouble when she lost her job or anything. I worked seven days a week, ten hours a day and we never missed a beat. Now she's working for Anadarko Petroleum as their Asset Control Manager and she's raking in far more money than she did before so yeah, we are more than cool. As for me, I'm not completely miserable in the position that I am in or anything. It's just that I have a great opportunity to make more money and be in charge of a bigger project. It's hard to walk away from that.

Thats good Scott. I did lots of work for Anadarko, on the drilling side in the Gulf. I don't know anyone that goes to work because they love the job so much that they don't want to get paid. SHOW ME THE MONEY.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:25 AM
twags6
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
About a year ago we had a thread about a little zerk-fitting adapter that would allow us to add grease to our 4WD hubs. For reference, see:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...or-cookie.html

Scott made and distributed a few of the adapters to some members here.

Asking those that got them, and hopefully USED them, have any of you had a subsequent main hub bearing failure? Since it's only been a year, this may be premature, but I'd like to start tracking it's success (or not).

Should I ask this again in another year's time, too?

Pop

As far as hub failures, I think the right front on mine failed a few months after replacing the ball joints due to me accidentally letting some power lube run onto the main hub and get inside. I did shoot some fresh grease into the hub before it was all back together, but not with the adapter.

Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
For those of you that do not have ESOF, it seems that it is not quite as important to grease those hubs. When I pulled the ABS sender out to lube it up, the grease on the end of the sender and down in the hub looked like brand new.
I shot a bunch of new grease in there anyway since I was there, but IMO the manual lockers are sealed a lot better.
Its the vacuum from the ESOF that actually sucks the grease right out of the bearings. I'm sure ours would do the same if they were under vac every now and then.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by WILDMAN_Stroker*7.3
Scott

You have to do what is the right thing for you and the family, I wish you all the luck in the world. Sometimes change is good, and starting over is always stressful, but we all know you can handle it
Ditto, x2, ............

Old 07-07-2010, 09:45 AM
jls8177
Junior User
Reviving an old thread.

I hope everyone is still doing well and that everything worked for the best for Scott. I feel like I know you after reading that thread.

This is a friendly reminder for you all to grease your hubs if you haven't done so since the last thread.

I'm wondering if anyone has this grease fitting available that I could borrow or pay someone to make. I'm not sure if I'm having a bearing failure, but I'm getting some strange noises. I plan on jacking up the truck and prying around a bit to find the problem. Even if I put new hubs on, I want the tool for the future.

I've had a great time reading this forum. It is very educational and I thank everyone for being so informative and not acting like idiots like so many other forums.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jason

Old 07-07-2010, 11:39 AM
lhud
Elder User
I did pulled the hub assembly apart when my first one failed. You can view the pics in my profile.
The grease will enter the area between the inner and outer bearings. So, you really need to rotate the bearing several times after each time of shooting some grease into the ABS port.
Do not over grease as the pressure will force it out through some seals onto the rotors.
A new hub bearing has some initial resistance due to the bearing housing being full of grease. As the unit is worked over time, the grease will loosen up. So, shooting two or three shots then rotating the hub assembly several times and repeating this until the bearing forms a slight resistance will work just fine.
I have over 200k on my second set of front hub bearings after starting this greasing procedure.
Forgot to mention - I simply use a rubber boot from a spark plug piece and insert one end over the grease gun tip and the other smaller end into the ABS port - nice snug fit and I'm done.

Quick Reply: If You've Greased Your 4WD Hubs