Sponsored by: DP Tuner

OT: Need a two-car hauler to rent...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 04:06 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
OT: Need a two-car hauler to rent...

I need to rent/borrow a two-car hauler for one day. I can pull a straight flatbed, box, fifth wheel, over/under, beaver-tail, or gooseneck trailer...but it needs to be able to haul at least two cars at once (two more early 1970's Nova's to build ). I have a 400 mile roundtrip to get them and I would like to make arrangements asap (the guy might sell them out from underneath me if I don't go get them quickly). I've checked all the rental places and no one has them unless I rent a class 8 truck and low-boy to pull. If you know someone (or you have a trailer) in the greater Reno/Sacramento area with a two-car trailer (or larger) who might want to make a few bucks renting it to me, please put that person in contact with me (just PM me and I'll send you my phone number). I'll be pulling it with my 7.3 F-350 dually (my on-topic remark)...and I have a class 5 hitch and a 14K fifth-wheel with adapters. I've got a one-car box trailer, but I want to only make one trip to Modesto to pick the cars up. Thanks and sorry for the OT, but I know if anyone knows on this forum they will help me.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:39 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
hell Neil if it was here in Mi, i would jut offer to haul the second one for ya.. Good Luck, might that be an option, get another truck to pull with ya.. Good Luck

Old 07-31-2008, 04:50 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by just another truck
hell Neil if it was here in Mi, i would jut offer to haul the second one for ya.. Good Luck, might that be an option, get another truck to pull with ya.. Good Luck
That is an option and thanks for the offer...The problem with two trucks doing a job that one truck can do (given the right trailer) is that the fuel and time (mine and the other driver) is doubled. One truck with one trailer is the efficient way, but if I have to I can do it with two trucks.

Listen to me talking about efficiency when I am building hot rods !

Old 07-31-2008, 05:43 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Unless you stumble across one magically, I don't think you'll have much luck checking the usual places. Have you checked around the local (yours or the cars location) transport shops? If you got a good deal, or the No go's are too good to pass up, you may have to pay to get them hauled, unless the transport business is off & they have a trailer they would rent you.

Good luck.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:54 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Neil, any chance of finding a local trucker that might be returning empty from where ever these cars are at?

Old 07-31-2008, 07:48 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 783 Likes on 595 Posts
Subscribing.
If I lived closer I would help you in a heartbeat.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:59 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
I've called everyone that I can think of (transport companies will not rent their trailers to anyone, dang them). I am now getting my mind wrapped around the idea of two round trips to Modesto, CA this weekend...oh Lord. Creedence sang about being stuck in Lodi again, but Modesto is as bleak.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:15 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
"Seekin' my fame and fortune, and lookin' for a pot of gold"

'dem WERE the daze...

Pop

Old 08-01-2008, 12:52 AM
Sawbones25
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got one sitting here with your name on it, but it's in Maryland...

Old 08-01-2008, 04:03 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i wish i could help you out with a trailer Neal....all i can do is bump this back to the top so the moring crew can see it....good luck to ya....

Old 08-01-2008, 08:17 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Wish I was closer, I would darn sure help you out with this. But I know you are getting all these offers that can't help.

Good luck.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:33 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Alright...eight hours of driving, car number 1 is home....though still in the trailer (I need my wife to steer as I try to push it out of the trailer). The F350 pulled it up Donner Summit (7000'+) like it was on flat ground...never saw 900+ egt's or above 160 tranny temp...did see 27 lbs of boost once though. Here is a link to the pictures of the Nova in the trailer after getting home.

The plan is to turn this car into a camper...yes, you read that right, a camper! In 1973 and 1974 Chevy/Buick/Pontiac/Olds offered a tent option for the hatchbacks. This car will be identical to my Nova coupe (SS badging, same paint, same hood) when I am done and will have the tent option (in ripstop nylon and much bigger)...it will pull behind my coupe...no engine/tranny...propane jugs under the hood with deep cycle battery). Here is what the tent option looked like and here is the car that will tow the camper. Then mom and I are doing some back road cruising in the US...One down and one more Nova to go! BTW, Nova hatchback #2 is a granny car...runs like a champ! Got them both for $1K (plus fuel to Modesto and back). Coupe is not a granny car .

Attached Images   
Old 08-02-2008, 06:10 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
WOW thats a very cool car Neal... congrats on a good grab.......hope you keep us up to date with the mods in that thing...cars around here that age..you would be able to see the front of the trailer though it lol....

Old 08-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 783 Likes on 595 Posts
A Chevrolet Westfalia!
You learn something new every day.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:35 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by ron's power stroke
WOW thats a very cool car Neal... congrats on a good grab.......hope you keep us up to date with the mods in that thing...cars around here that age..you would be able to see the front of the trailer though it lol....
Thanks Ron...cars that age in the "Live Free or Die" state would look like Swiss cheese for sure. My dad had a 1951 Buick ((straight 8 w/ dynaflow!!!) and in 1957 (I was 6) it had big old holes through the floor boards in the back seat. He put these big heavy rubber mats over the holes. When the three boys (me and my brothers) would ride in the back, one of our favorite games was "the yellow rain". We'd drink soda like mad and hold it till we all had to go. Then we'd wait for the old man to b!%^& about someone tailgating him. We'd pull back the mats and let er rip ...Needless to say, they backed off . My old man would just look in the rear view mirror and grin...

Quick Reply: OT: Need a two-car hauler to rent...